share rss forum feed

Zyncotl
Zed X
Premium
join:2002-09-13
Wayne, MI
reply to Dillinja

Re: Playing WoW at work question....

I would check with your boss on whether there are issues with your doing what you're planning on doing. If they have no issues with it then take it to the IT Department regarding access.
--
I'd take the time to insult your intelligence but you probably wouldn't get it.

Goldheart

join:2002-06-09
Ballston Spa, NY
kudos:1
reply to Dillinja

Most companies are pretty strict about what you can connect to the company network. Personal equipment is often prohibited. This is slowly changing with so many portable devices out but for now open access is the exception rather than the rule.

Some companies will provide an open access wireless for this purpose though. Usually a sign up page where you either sign up for access or agree to certain rules before being granted access.

If web browsing is being blocked to some sites you can bet the network is locked down as well port wise.

Some companies do permit web browsing and gaming, movie watching, social sites, etc. as long as you get your work done. (HP where I work in particular as one example- though they do block ports).

Just check the IT policy or with your management.

If you're willing to risk the wrath of IT and management there are ways to get around port and web blocking. Tunneling software and proxies for instance.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3
reply to Omega

said by Omega:

Any good company network will be a closed network. As in it won't accept random MAC addresses unless it has been put on a master list. For example, when I was in college and worked in IT as a student, I wanted my laptop to be plugged into the wired academic network (far superior to the student wireless). I had to give my boss my mac address info and he entered it into a list. If your work isn't like this, then your network admins are terrible.

Many schools actually use that as a bluff.

and you can actually just connect but such is frowned upon strongly.

McBrain
BRB Face Melting

join:2010-05-06
Kalimdor
kudos:2

I used to do it in Okinawa when I was on overnight duty in the Naval Health Clinic.

Curious12

join:2012-10-01
Newport News, VA
reply to Dillinja

I would not risk connecting to the port at your company man.Remember real money(job) > fake money(farmed mats)

Kilroy
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN
reply to DarkLogix

said by Omega:

Any good company network will be a closed network...If your work isn't like this, then your network admins are terrible.

Or your company has better things to do with its money. This is great for a small network, but a full time job for any network of a decent size. I support over four hunderd machines that are replaced everything three years. The up keep on a MAC address list wouldn't be worth the trouble. That doesn't factor in visitors from other sites, I work for a global company.

Using a proxy handles most of the web based problems. But, if you're websensed then I highly doubt you'll be able to log in, which will prevent you from playing. This is how the college I go to handles it. If you're using a proxy I doubt this will work since you will have to go through the proxy.
--
Want the shirt? - »www.despair.com/thedestructor.html
Not afiliated or making any profit from sales

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX

Exactly, I won't want to be stuck maintaining a list of allowed Mac's

I could see the military doing it because a good salesman sold them on it (heck Nasa requires a completely separate switch for things that a vlan would cover because at some point someone made an outdated claim about vlans)

These days I'd expect them to move to a cert based method instead of mac based.

Dillinja

join:2011-10-01
UK

Thanks guys for all your replies, some really interesting points.

Basically we are websensed from all gaming websites so I'm guessing ports will be blocked also....

I was looking at a 3G dongle from 3 network (UK based) 21mb speed and 15gb data allowance, do you think this will be enough for 48-50 hours of wow a month?

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX

It likely would be enough

I think of wow's data usage like a DB program, lots of very small packets.

as opposed to a fileserver, few really big packets.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12

1 recommendation

reply to Dillinja

said by Dillinja:

Basically we are websensed from all gaming websites so I'm guessing ports will be blocked also....

I was looking at a 3G dongle from 3 network (UK based) 21mb speed and 15gb data allowance, do you think this will be enough for 48-50 hours of wow a month?

The wisdom of doing something like that is questionable.
--
If we lose this freedom of ours, history will record with the greatest astonishment, those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

Dillinja

UK

said by Krisnatharok:

said by Dillinja:

The wisdom of doing something like that is questionable.

This will only be for farming and dailies....

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

Oh that makes it ok then.

- boss

Dillinja

UK

said by Krisnatharok:

- boss

Kris is that a serious reply? Do you honestly think that would be ok? Your help is appriecated...

Thanks

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
join:2010-01-07
Evans, GA
kudos:8

said by Dillinja:

said by Krisnatharok:

- boss

Kris is that a serious reply? Do you honestly think that would be ok? Your help is appriecated...

Thanks

He can't honestly be speaking for your boss. I'd take it as a warning. Understand the intent of the policies in place at the workplace. If they've taken measures to block gaming at the workplace... you might win the "ability" battle, only to lose the "appropriate" one.
--
Guild leader of Pride and Ego
Immergruen (resto/boomie) on Nathrezim Server (US)
Agrende (discipline/holy); Esclavizado (blood/unholy)

Intelligence is no substitute for Character.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
join:2010-08-24
Mexico
kudos:5
reply to Dillinja

said by Dillinja:

said by Krisnatharok:

- boss

Thanks

Man, Imagine you own a business, would you like your employees playing WoW on the clock?

"Sry boss, I didn't finish the financial report, I was doing my dailies, I am about to get revered with the Klaxxi"
--
Judge a man by the trials of his shield, not the empty reaping of his sword.

Dillinja

UK
reply to Immer

Guys - If I take my own device and network medium and use in my own time at work, that's all good....

All I wanna know is if 3G 15gb allowance will be enough for farming/dailies 40-50 hrs a month.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

1 edit
reply to Dillinja

said by Dillinja:

said by Krisnatharok:

- boss

Thanks

Yes, it is completely serious. I am actually your boss IRL and think it's fine for you to play computer games at work despite the company taking measures to lock down gaming/leisure websites. We pay you, but don't actually expect productivity out of you.

I am working on the you getting paid issue, though.

P.S. Ignore the OPSEC/trade secrets vulnerability of you having a laptop and open connection--you can tell the IA guys i said it's ok.--
If we lose this freedom of ours, history will record with the greatest astonishment, those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

Dillinja

UK

Jezz man does it really matter to you want I do at work? I never asked you "am I allowed to play it"....

I wanted some feedback regarding the connectivity of 3G and the data allowance.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

And all i want to know is if the blunt side of a shovel can apply enough force to the side of the head to cause loss of consciousness, and how much weight around the feet would cause a person to sink in a body of water. Stop asking questions!

Seriously, 40-50 hours a month? That's a long lunch hour for 20 workdays.

Can't say you weren't warned about the "should" despite the "can."
--

Dillinja

UK

Thanks for your help.

JoelC707
Premium
join:2002-07-09
Lanett, AL

1 recommendation

reply to Dillinja

The point they're trying to make to you is that if your company internet access is restricted then they have done so for a reason. That reason is likely only known to IT and the upper management but it could be something as serious as a compliance issue to keep confidential data secure. If that's the case then you're probably going to be out on your ass when the wrong person sees you with a laptop playing wow. If it's just to keep employee productivity up or control bandwidth usage then you have nothing to worry about because I assume you would only be doing this off the clock. The thing is you probably don't know why this policy is in place.

Have you even asked about whether personal devices are allowed? Just because your smart phone is allowed doesn't mean your laptop with a 3G card will be allowed. If you haven't done this then you're putting the safety of your job at risk. Forgive us for trying to point out where you could be risking losing your job. I thought that was the friendly thing to do but that seems to be escaping you. Since you seem to insist on this, yes that 3g card will work as you've been told numerous times in this thread.

Dillinja

UK

Yeah personal devices are allowed......

Thanks for the info.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
join:2010-08-24
Mexico

said by Dillinja:

Thanks for the info.

Nothing to see here.

Move on people.
--
Judge a man by the trials of his shield, not the empty reaping of his sword.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
join:2010-01-07
Evans, GA
kudos:8
reply to Dillinja

said by Dillinja:

Thanks for the info.

cool. With that said, I see no reason why that aircard and connection couldn't work out okay for farming and low-key questing.

most of us where just projecting our work environment/situations onto yours... it was all with the best of intentions, even if the delivery was awkward.

Dillinja

UK

With being one of the first line managers on the night shift there I can take my breaks in empty meeting rooms when everyone else is working....the beauty of being a team leader.

I do understand the warnings you guys have mentioned and its appreicated.

Immer - thanks for that, I just need more time to farm etc as I'm falling behind the guys in my guild.