spc
uniqs
frdrizzt
join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY

frdrizzt to anon

to anon

Re: [iO] New Guide Rollout

I have no issues recording with my 8300HD and the new guide. Never have. The only people with issues that have reported something here was someone who used video out to a 3rd party DVR.
Bob4
Account deleted
join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

1 recommendation

Bob4

Holbrook
@optonline.net

Holbrook

Anon

The new guide is awful, trust me you don't want it. Even if you ignore the bugs and it worked flawlessly the user experience is a huge step back.

It shows the show name, episode and description on the left but the channel is on the right or the top right.

You have to move your eyes from the very bottom left of your screen all the way to the right (or upper right) to see what channel you're on.

Previously the channel was located next to the description so it was easy to see. If you're flipping channels, the channel is very relevant.

I'm flabbergasted at how they can ship it like this. It's like they did zero user testing. There's a bunch of bugs too but those are likely to be fixed in due time. Putting the channel 100 miles away from the title/description was a decision they planned for.

mbernste
MVM
join:2001-06-30
Piscataway, NJ

mbernste

MVM

said by Holbrook :

You have to move your eyes from the very bottom left of your screen all the way to the right (or upper right) to see what channel you're on.

OMG! You have to move your eyes to see the channel. Goodness, how lazy are you? I can't believe this is an issue for a person. Also, I can see my entire screen's contents (it's a 42 inch screen) with zero effort.

Holbrook
@optonline.net

Holbrook

Anon

said by mbernste:

OMG! You have to move your eyes to see the channel. Goodness, how lazy are you? I can't believe this is an issue for a person. Also, I can see my entire screen's contents (it's a 42 inch screen) with zero effort.

It has nothing to do with laziness. You have to adjust your eyes and focus in on 2 locations to get the same information that was available before the new version.

There's no way to perceive that as anything but a step in the wrong direction. It's the equivalent of having to click 2 things instead of 1 on a website to get the same information.

I guess I'm overly sensitive to what constitutes as good UI design because designing user interfaces is what I do for a living. Maybe regular people don't care but it's the first thing I noticed and it was a huge deal.