how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Myst3r10n

join:2012-10-21
Canada

[Extreme Plus] Rogers Ultimate 150 Mbps/10Mbps + Hitron CGN2

So I hooked up the Hitron and upgraded to the Ultimate Tier...

And like many other Rogers customers I was not expecting what ensued in my first speed test.

My expectations were off by about 100 Mbps, BUT IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION!

Hitron's Residential Gateway is off, of course.

Hooter

join:2009-08-17
Scarborough, ON

This could very well be the result of the Rogers SpeedBoost which detects when there is available bandwidth on the network and automatically provides a temporary burst of speed for the first 10 MB of a download or stream. As soon as you download a large file, you'll more than likely get what you pay for.

Myst3r10n

Canada

I thought that too Hooter, that it must be speedboost, however this is not the case, it's consistently pulling 200+ Mbps

After downloading 4.5 GB's in around 20 minutes I got this speedtest result.

What can I say. Wasn't expecting it. But there it is.

technocar2

join:2009-05-29
Brampton, ON
kudos:2
reply to Myst3r10n

Its speedboost, you are still only getting 150mbps but peak is usually around 300 mbps these days, this isn't anything new. Been like this for some time now on nodes that have been upgraded.

Moreover, 4.5 GB's in around 20 minutes is about 30 mbps. You are not even close to 150 mbps there let alone 200 mbps.

LaZ3R
Premium
join:2003-01-17
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to Myst3r10n

250GB monthly allowance... Math time...

At an average expected speed of 150mbps... (18.75MB/s)

You would fill up your "monthly" allowance in: 3 Hours, 47 Minutes, 33 Seconds

Edit: This is assuming 0 upload... which is not possible, therefore, the actual cap would be reached even sooner!

technocar2

Brampton, ON

said by LaZ3R:

250GB monthly allowance... Math time...

At an average expected speed of 150mbps... (18.75MB/s)

You would fill up your "monthly" allowance in: 3 Hours, 47 Minutes, 33 Seconds

Edit: This is assuming 0 upload... which is not possible, therefore, the actual cap would be reached even sooner!

I don't see it that way. I see it as unlimited 150/10 mbps for $132.10 plus tax! Nothing is stopping you from grabbing that deal.

Myst3r10n

Canada

I actually pay less than the advertised plan, not going to get specific but it's a great value, I'll tell you that

All in all, Hitron is stable, been with Rogers Hi-Speed for a long time, really happy.

Downloading in minutes not hours, Call of Duty is lag-free.

If I hit 250 GB which I won't, overage rate will be way less than advertised.

Also had a tech come out same-day to do cabling work. Amazed

justaguy

@rogers.com
reply to technocar2

Think you're in for a surprise at the end of the month

technocar2

Brampton, ON

said by justaguy :

Why?
I already know I will get $100 in usage plus 70% off the internet price. It comes out to $132.10 plus tax. No surprise there mate. I'm getting unlimited 150/10 for $132.10, not a bad deal for what its worth.

technocar2

Brampton, ON
reply to Myst3r10n

said by Myst3r10n:

overage rate will be way less than advertised.

Not true, you only get the 70-80% discount on the price and modem rental but not on the usage.

elconcho

join:2007-03-03
Toronto, ON
reply to technocar2

said by technocar2:

said by justaguy :

Why?
I already know I will get $100 in usage plus 70% off the internet price. It comes out to $132.10 plus tax. No surprise there mate. I'm getting unlimited 150/10 for $132.10, not a bad deal for what its worth.

Ok, i'll bite. How are you managing to get 70% off?

Myst3r10n

Canada
reply to technocar2

Not necessarily true... lol

Any usage I incur on my bill in general is actually "augmented".

You seem to be getting a good price nonetheless.

At the end of the day. I'm happy and I've read a lot of BS about the slow speeds and the dissatisfaction of some customers.

I attribute it to bad cabling and/or user error of some nature.

It's a little steep for the usual customer but you can get a deal.

elitefx

join:2011-02-14
London, ON

said by Myst3r10n:

In excess of $132.10 plus tax for an internet connection is hardly a deal in anyone's books. That, my friend, is getting taken to the cleaners, hook, line and sinker...............

technocar2

Brampton, ON

said by elitefx:

said by Myst3r10n:

In excess of $132.10 plus tax for an internet connection is hardly a deal in anyone's books. That, my friend, is getting taken to the cleaners, hook, line and sinker...............

$132.10 plus tax for unlimited 150/10 in North American, are you kidding me? I don't see anyone else offering such deals.

Shaw: Unlimited 100mbps = $190
Bell: Unlimited 175mbps = $283.95
Videotron: Unlimited 200 or 120 mbps = non existing (no monthly billing limits)
Comcast: 1TB 105 mbps = about $300 (adding up all the 50GBs you need to buy after the cap, no monthly billing limits)
FiOS: unlimited 150 = $94 (only fiOS kicks rogers ass)

Now you see unlimited 150/10 for $132.10 plus tax is a decent deals when you look at the state of NA internets. You need to look at the bigger picture, you can't always compare to the indies with 28/1 or 25/10.

elconcho

Toronto, ON

said by technocar2:

Now you see unlimited 150/10 for $132.10 plus tax is a decent deals when you look at the state of NA internets. You need to look at the bigger picture, you can't always compare to the indies with 28/1 or 25/10.

Please explain how you arrive at $132.10 plus tax

Pesterd

@rogers.com
reply to technocar2

How are you getting $132 for unlimited with Rogers?

elitefx

London, ON

said by Pesterd :

How are you getting $132 for unlimited with Rogers?

Just follow the bouncing ball....

said by technocar2:

Hooter

join:2009-08-17
Scarborough, ON

2 edits
reply to Pesterd

I think what technocar2 is saying is that he gets 70% off his Internet bill every month and then incurs the maximum $100 overage fee on top of that every month. By my calculation though that would come to $136.90 plus tax. (Ultimate = 122.99 - 70% = 36.90. Add in another $100 every month for overage.)

elconcho

Toronto, ON

So why are we bothering to use his calculation in the rest of our discussion? Is he just showing off at what an amazing discount he gets? The rest of us are looking at $223 / month for 150mbit unlimited--which is crazily expensive. This is the price that matters.

elitefx

London, ON

1 edit

said by elconcho:

The rest of us are looking at $223 / month for 150mbit unlimited--which is crazily expensive. This is the price that matters.

Thank you my friend. FINALLY the truth is revealed. This internet thing is a Rogers cash cow. The network was paid for by TV cable subscribers. 150/10 is worth $60/month if that. It sure don't cost anything with data bandwidth at 4 cents/GB Rogers cost and that was 4 years ago. Probably cost them 2 cents per now maybe...............

technocar2

Brampton, ON
reply to elconcho

said by elconcho:

The rest of us are looking at $223 / month for 150mbit unlimited--which is crazily expensive. This is the price that matters.

What's stopping you from getting this heck of a deal. Look around many people have this, I'm not the only one with this deal; some people even have 80% off. For the record its old Ultimate $107 - 70% = 32.10 plus $100 usage because $122.99 product code in not available in my area but they were able to push out the 150/10 cfg, so when the $122.99 becomes available then it will be $36.90 for the same 150/10. Still beats the indies and bell if you look at bytes for bytes.

elitefx

London, ON

1 edit

said by technocar2:

......Still beats the indies and bell if you look at bytes for bytes.

Agreed. But it's not worth anywhere near $122 to start with. If Rogers is going to give EVERYBODY 70-80% off why not do the right thing and just drop the everyday price to $60 like I've been saying for months now.....people still want value for their money.

At $60/mnth and 4 cents a GB Rogers cost that still leaves a tidy overhead for network maintenence and profit.....

technocar2

Brampton, ON

said by elitefx:

said by technocar2:

......Still beats the indies and bell if you look at bytes for bytes.

Agreed. But it's not worth anywhere near $122 to start with. If Rogers is going to give EVERYBODY 70-80% off why not do the right thing and just drop the everyday price to $60 like I've been saying for months now.....people still want value for their money.

I agree rogers should do that but knowing rogers they would much rather milk $$$ out the internets from the masses and give generous discount to a very few who beg for it. What will be interesting is when my 2 years run out, will they give this deal again? Who knows but for the time being grab it while you still can!

Myst3r10n

Canada
reply to elitefx

I wouldn't pay $122.99 for it, and I don't.
However that being said, If I was, I'd be getting what I paid for.

Rogers Hi-Speed is about the only internet service I will consider in my area.

If I'm going to pay for any service Rogers offers, it's gonna be Hi-Speed.

Most Rogers iPhone/Android bills are in excess of $150 a month with 6-10GB of LTE data.

What I'm paying for my 250/10 Mbps is less than most cell phone bills.

And THAT'S saying something.

nekkidtruth
YISMM
Premium
join:2002-05-20
London, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Rogers Hi-Speed

said by Myst3r10n:

Most Rogers iPhone/Android bills are in excess of $150 a month with 6-10GB of LTE data.

I don't know anyone who is paying that much for an iPhone/Android wireless account with Rogers. Where are you getting that number?

My Samsung Galaxy S3 phone with everything including 6GB LTE comes to $80 and change taxes in.
--
Weeeeeee

JMCD23

join:2010-12-06
London, ON
reply to Myst3r10n

Huh? No one is paying that much. I know quite a few in the $70-$80 range. I was paying $52 with Fido for 6GB.

Myst3r10n

Canada
reply to nekkidtruth

I'm getting those bill amounts from first hand experience.

I've seen too many bills like this, you wouldn't believe it until you see them.

I didn't think that was possible, I'm with Fido.

Most people's Rogers Wireless bills are 80+, upper end 150-200, unbelievable.

I'm paying way less than that ($80) for my Ultimate.

Myst3r10n

Canada
reply to JMCD23

Yea I'm paying less than you with City Fido with 6GB as well.

Most people don't know how to deal. They just pay.
It's quite shocking actually.

In all honesty Fido people are NOT like Rogers people.

nekkidtruth
YISMM
Premium
join:2002-05-20
London, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to Myst3r10n

You might want to tell those people who's bills you've "experienced first hand" to pay their monthly bill on time

The ridiculous numbers you're quoting for wireless indicate a double bill. The $80 mark is pretty much the cream of the crop when it comes to wireless. There isn't much you can do to bump that number up from there without moving to an entirely different setup (ie. Family plan).

Come to think of it, that price point you keep referring to ($150) sounds about right for a family plan.
--
Weeeeeee

dabonz

join:2012-05-17
Ottawa, ON
reply to Myst3r10n

It's sad there giving this speed but you can only go around the block
a couple of times and there getting away with it. Give like a package for like $200 a month with unlimited download or something ...

its getting xpensive to surf now a days