share rss forum feed

technocar2

join:2009-05-29
Brampton, ON
kudos:2
reply to elconcho

Re: [Extreme Plus] Rogers Ultimate 150 Mbps/10Mbps + Hitron CGN2

said by elconcho:

The rest of us are looking at $223 / month for 150mbit unlimited--which is crazily expensive. This is the price that matters.

What's stopping you from getting this heck of a deal. Look around many people have this, I'm not the only one with this deal; some people even have 80% off. For the record its old Ultimate $107 - 70% = 32.10 plus $100 usage because $122.99 product code in not available in my area but they were able to push out the 150/10 cfg, so when the $122.99 becomes available then it will be $36.90 for the same 150/10. Still beats the indies and bell if you look at bytes for bytes.

elitefx

join:2011-02-14
London, ON

1 edit
said by technocar2:

......Still beats the indies and bell if you look at bytes for bytes.

Agreed. But it's not worth anywhere near $122 to start with. If Rogers is going to give EVERYBODY 70-80% off why not do the right thing and just drop the everyday price to $60 like I've been saying for months now.....people still want value for their money.

At $60/mnth and 4 cents a GB Rogers cost that still leaves a tidy overhead for network maintenence and profit.....

technocar2

Brampton, ON
said by elitefx:

said by technocar2:

......Still beats the indies and bell if you look at bytes for bytes.

Agreed. But it's not worth anywhere near $122 to start with. If Rogers is going to give EVERYBODY 70-80% off why not do the right thing and just drop the everyday price to $60 like I've been saying for months now.....people still want value for their money.

I agree rogers should do that but knowing rogers they would much rather milk $$$ out the internets from the masses and give generous discount to a very few who beg for it. What will be interesting is when my 2 years run out, will they give this deal again? Who knows but for the time being grab it while you still can!

Myst3r10n

join:2012-10-21
Canada
reply to elitefx
I wouldn't pay $122.99 for it, and I don't.
However that being said, If I was, I'd be getting what I paid for.

Rogers Hi-Speed is about the only internet service I will consider in my area.

If I'm going to pay for any service Rogers offers, it's gonna be Hi-Speed.

Most Rogers iPhone/Android bills are in excess of $150 a month with 6-10GB of LTE data.

What I'm paying for my 250/10 Mbps is less than most cell phone bills.

And THAT'S saying something.

nekkidtruth
YISMM
Premium
join:2002-05-20
London, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Rogers Hi-Speed
said by Myst3r10n:

Most Rogers iPhone/Android bills are in excess of $150 a month with 6-10GB of LTE data.

I don't know anyone who is paying that much for an iPhone/Android wireless account with Rogers. Where are you getting that number?

My Samsung Galaxy S3 phone with everything including 6GB LTE comes to $80 and change taxes in.
--
Weeeeeee

JMCD23

join:2010-12-06
London, ON
reply to Myst3r10n
Huh? No one is paying that much. I know quite a few in the $70-$80 range. I was paying $52 with Fido for 6GB.

Myst3r10n

Canada
reply to nekkidtruth
I'm getting those bill amounts from first hand experience.

I've seen too many bills like this, you wouldn't believe it until you see them.

I didn't think that was possible, I'm with Fido.

Most people's Rogers Wireless bills are 80+, upper end 150-200, unbelievable.

I'm paying way less than that ($80) for my Ultimate.

Myst3r10n

Canada
reply to JMCD23
Yea I'm paying less than you with City Fido with 6GB as well.

Most people don't know how to deal. They just pay.
It's quite shocking actually.

In all honesty Fido people are NOT like Rogers people.

nekkidtruth
YISMM
Premium
London, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to Myst3r10n
You might want to tell those people who's bills you've "experienced first hand" to pay their monthly bill on time

The ridiculous numbers you're quoting for wireless indicate a double bill. The $80 mark is pretty much the cream of the crop when it comes to wireless. There isn't much you can do to bump that number up from there without moving to an entirely different setup (ie. Family plan).

Come to think of it, that price point you keep referring to ($150) sounds about right for a family plan.
--
Weeeeeee

dabonz

join:2012-05-17
Ottawa, ON
reply to Myst3r10n
It's sad there giving this speed but you can only go around the block
a couple of times and there getting away with it. Give like a package for like $200 a month with unlimited download or something ...

its getting xpensive to surf now a days

Myst3r10n

Canada
reply to nekkidtruth
No, they weren't double billed, or on family plans.

Single CTN. One Bill. No Late payments.

These people exist.
Some Value Packs are $17.

New plans range from $73-93 a month with 3GB of data and 200-1200 Daytime mins, and you STILL have to ADD a Value Pack.

Once you get into 6GB of data, a value pack and either 200 minutes + overages or straight up 1200 minutes.

These people are paying $100 a month easy.

If they "cheap out" on their plan, they go over, or they don't cheap out and still pay nearly $100 including tax.

Go take a look at the pricing and re-think your "ridiculous"ly uninformed response.

nekkidtruth
YISMM
Premium
London, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Rogers Hi-Speed
My apologies. I've never even seen those plans. Mainly because you have to actually click on "See more" to even get to them.

All I have to say is wow. If someone is stupid enough to pay $150 for what I get for $80 taxes in a month, they kind of deserve it.
--
Weeeeeee

elconcho

join:2007-03-03
Toronto, ON
reply to Myst3r10n
Ya, so I called retention today. I'm already on Ultimate getting $15/month off $99/month ($85 / month) and am not paying for my cable modem rental. They could do no better for me. I have a Rogers cell with 6GB plan, but no TV service, no home phone from them. My guess is that dude's big 70% discount that he keeps bragging about is some kind of aggregated discount when you have all 4 services from Rogers.

Oh, retention also told me that all the plans are changing (getting better) in November. Hopefully this is a caps change.

They also told me that I won't have to pay the new $122 price for Ultimate, my $99 price will live on. Time will tell.

JAC70

join:2008-10-20
canada
I get 70% off internet and modem rental, and I have only two services.

Pesterd

@rogers.com
70% off Internet with ANY TV package.

technocar2

Brampton, ON

1 edit
reply to elconcho
said by elconcho:

Ya, so I called retention today. I'm already on Ultimate getting $15/month off $99/month ($85 / month) and am not paying for my cable modem rental. They could do no better for me. I have a Rogers cell with 6GB plan, but no TV service, no home phone from them. My guess is that dude's big 70% discount that he keeps bragging about is some kind of aggregated discount when you have all 4 services from Rogers.

Oh, retention also told me that all the plans are changing (getting better) in November. Hopefully this is a caps change.

They also told me that I won't have to pay the new $122 price for Ultimate, my $99 price will live on. Time will tell.

You need to speak with retentions and you need to have cable. Then you tell em that you got a call from rogers saying they will give a 70% off discount on internet if I kept my internet with rogers instead of teksavvy or some other provider because you called in to inquire about cancelling as other provider are offering very nice deals. You say you rejected the deal over the phone but you are now interested in it as it was a pretty good deal and would like to see if you can still get it. Most likely they will give you that deal, as they now know you are very likely to go over to one of TPIAs, they won't just spit out the 70% off deal on everyone. You need to give them some reason to offer it.

aabbccs

@rogers.com
how to get $132.10 plus tax for unlimited 150/10 in North American, are you kidding me? I don't see anyone else offering such deals.
I am currently on the highest service and never seen 150mbit, getting barely 50mbit?

elec999

join:2005-12-19
reply to Myst3r10n
How can I convince Rogers to swap my Cisco modem for this one?

coldpower27

join:2004-02-07
Scarborough, ON
Tell them your not happy with this modem wireless range is bad, it sucks in some way. blah blah blah. That's what I did to get the Hirton from the older SMC Gateway.

Rinse82

@rogers.com
I installed this last night. Plugging the modem directly into the pc nets me a speedtest in the 200+ d/l range.

After I got the Rogers tech to change the hitron to bridge mode so I could use my Linksys WRT320N, speed test maxes out just below 100 Mbps. Wondering if my router is causing bottleneck - while it is a gigabit router I've had issues in the past with this box since it doesn't support jumbo frames (transfers within my network never reached gigabit speeds). What do you guys think?

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
Premium,MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON
Get yourself the Netgear WNDR4500 .... Excellent performer.

technocar2

Brampton, ON

1 edit
What he needs is a router with at least 300mbps wan to lan throughput, a wndr4500 is way more than his requirement (wndr4500 is about 800mbps wan to lan and cost $200). A wndr3700 will do just fine and its costs about $40 on ebay and it has 340mbps wan to lan which is perfect for his requirement.

Edit: His lan to lan transfer will never reach gigabit speeds, because I bet his hard drives or even ssd are the real bottleneck on his lan to lan network. He will need at least 4 ssd in raid0 in two computers on his lan to transfer data at 1gbps between said computers. He will need $1000 worth of hardware for that to happen lol.

kliu82

join:2012-11-09
Thanks guys -

Yes, I do realize I'll never realize true gigabit speeds within my network. My NAS is a bottleneck for starters.

Looks like I'll need to upgrade my router to maximize the WAN to LAN throughput to fully enjoy the Ultimate Speeds.

technocar2

Brampton, ON
Also have a look at this »www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/r···n-to-lan

Any router higher than 276.9Mbps on the benchmark list will be good enough for rogers 150/10 and will not compromise on speedboost.

kliu82

reply to Myst3r10n
Great help, thanks guys.

dj10fld

Bowmanville, ON
reply to Myst3r10n
I wish I was getting those speeds, the fastest I'm still getting is at most 70 Mbits. I just upgraded by Ultimate to the 150 Mbps, got the Hitron CGN2 modem. I was told it was available in my area and I still getting the same speeds as the older Ultimate package. Has anyone else in the Oshawa/Whitby/Bowmanville area been getting the proper 150 yet??

dj10fld

Bowmanville, ON
I was just speaking with tech support and they told me that everything on their line was good (i.e. the connection to get 150 mbits) should work. So they are saying its my PC. Now here are my PC specs:

Core 2 Duo 2.2 Ghz
3 Gig Ram
Intel 320 SSD 120 G Sata II Drive (Boot/programs)
WD Green 1.5 Gig Drive (media)
GTX 220 Nvidia Gfx card

Does my PC need to be fast to get the 150 Mbits speed, or are there drivers/tune ups that I need to do to get those speeds.

Bare in mind that its just the computer attached the modem and nothing else (its not running in Wifi Mode)

yyzlhr

join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON
kudos:4
said by dj10fld:

I was just speaking with tech support and they told me that everything on their line was good (i.e. the connection to get 150 mbits) should work. So they are saying its my PC. Now here are my PC specs:

Core 2 Duo 2.2 Ghz
3 Gig Ram
Intel 320 SSD 120 G Sata II Drive (Boot/programs)
WD Green 1.5 Gig Drive (media)
GTX 220 Nvidia Gfx card

Does my PC need to be fast to get the 150 Mbits speed, or are there drivers/tune ups that I need to do to get those speeds.

Bare in mind that its just the computer attached the modem and nothing else (its not running in Wifi Mode)

Your PC specs are more then adequate. Do you have a gigabit ethernet card? Also are you sure the CSRs have placed the right product codes on your account? I find that the tech support folks are usually clueless when it comes to billing system and don't realize that certain issues are caused simply by the wrong code in the billing/provisioning systems.

If all of the above is good, and your signal is good then the reason why you're not getting the advertised speed likely due to node congestion.

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
Premium,MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON
reply to technocar2
said by technocar2:

What he needs is a router with at least 300mbps wan to lan throughput, a wndr4500 is way more than his requirement (wndr4500 is about 800mbps wan to lan and cost $200).

The WNDR4500 costs $160 --- not $200 plus the WNDR3700 is not anywhere close to the WNDR4500 insofar as stability and device CAPABILITY.
--
David Mozer
IT-Expert on Call
Information Technology for Home and Business

elitefx

join:2011-02-14
London, ON