share rss forum feed

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
Premium,MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON
reply to Rinse82

Re: [Extreme Plus] Rogers Ultimate 150 Mbps/10Mbps + Hitron CGN2

Get yourself the Netgear WNDR4500 .... Excellent performer.

technocar2

join:2009-05-29
Brampton, ON
kudos:2

1 edit

What he needs is a router with at least 300mbps wan to lan throughput, a wndr4500 is way more than his requirement (wndr4500 is about 800mbps wan to lan and cost $200). A wndr3700 will do just fine and its costs about $40 on ebay and it has 340mbps wan to lan which is perfect for his requirement.

Edit: His lan to lan transfer will never reach gigabit speeds, because I bet his hard drives or even ssd are the real bottleneck on his lan to lan network. He will need at least 4 ssd in raid0 in two computers on his lan to transfer data at 1gbps between said computers. He will need $1000 worth of hardware for that to happen lol.

kliu82

join:2012-11-09

Thanks guys -

Yes, I do realize I'll never realize true gigabit speeds within my network. My NAS is a bottleneck for starters.

Looks like I'll need to upgrade my router to maximize the WAN to LAN throughput to fully enjoy the Ultimate Speeds.

technocar2

join:2009-05-29
Brampton, ON

Also have a look at this »www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/r···n-to-lan

Any router higher than 276.9Mbps on the benchmark list will be good enough for rogers 150/10 and will not compromise on speedboost.

kliu82

reply to Myst3r10n

Great help, thanks guys.

dj10fld

Bowmanville, ON
reply to Myst3r10n

I wish I was getting those speeds, the fastest I'm still getting is at most 70 Mbits. I just upgraded by Ultimate to the 150 Mbps, got the Hitron CGN2 modem. I was told it was available in my area and I still getting the same speeds as the older Ultimate package. Has anyone else in the Oshawa/Whitby/Bowmanville area been getting the proper 150 yet??

dj10fld

Bowmanville, ON

I was just speaking with tech support and they told me that everything on their line was good (i.e. the connection to get 150 mbits) should work. So they are saying its my PC. Now here are my PC specs:

Core 2 Duo 2.2 Ghz
3 Gig Ram
Intel 320 SSD 120 G Sata II Drive (Boot/programs)
WD Green 1.5 Gig Drive (media)
GTX 220 Nvidia Gfx card

Does my PC need to be fast to get the 150 Mbits speed, or are there drivers/tune ups that I need to do to get those speeds.

Bare in mind that its just the computer attached the modem and nothing else (its not running in Wifi Mode)

yyzlhr

join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON
kudos:4

said by dj10fld:

I was just speaking with tech support and they told me that everything on their line was good (i.e. the connection to get 150 mbits) should work. So they are saying its my PC. Now here are my PC specs:

Core 2 Duo 2.2 Ghz
3 Gig Ram
Intel 320 SSD 120 G Sata II Drive (Boot/programs)
WD Green 1.5 Gig Drive (media)
GTX 220 Nvidia Gfx card

Does my PC need to be fast to get the 150 Mbits speed, or are there drivers/tune ups that I need to do to get those speeds.

Bare in mind that its just the computer attached the modem and nothing else (its not running in Wifi Mode)

Your PC specs are more then adequate. Do you have a gigabit ethernet card? Also are you sure the CSRs have placed the right product codes on your account? I find that the tech support folks are usually clueless when it comes to billing system and don't realize that certain issues are caused simply by the wrong code in the billing/provisioning systems.

If all of the above is good, and your signal is good then the reason why you're not getting the advertised speed likely due to node congestion.

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
Premium,MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON
reply to technocar2

said by technocar2:

What he needs is a router with at least 300mbps wan to lan throughput, a wndr4500 is way more than his requirement (wndr4500 is about 800mbps wan to lan and cost $200).

The WNDR4500 costs $160 --- not $200 plus the WNDR3700 is not anywhere close to the WNDR4500 insofar as stability and device CAPABILITY.
--
David Mozer
IT-Expert on Call
Information Technology for Home and Business

elitefx

join:2011-02-14
London, ON

NETGEAR R6300 Gigabit Wi-Fi Router

$199.99 ca

»benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?o···temid=70

»www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/net···590.aspx