uniqs

birdfeedr
MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI

birdfeedr to Libra

MVM

to Libra

Re: Will Verizon shut down copper phone accounts?

said by Libra:

I read the information you wrote about using the auxiliary bbu. It's quite interesting but the initial warnings stopped me, not to mention I wouldn't be capable of doing that.

I wrote those warnings as a caution to non-technical readers. They were included in response to public as well as private comments that I was publishing instructions to modify VZ's equipment. Done improperly, it could result in equipment damage.

I am testing a fairly easy non-technical solution, which I will publish when complete.

[edit to add]It's obvious that an additional BBU would improve run time, but I'm thinking of a battery supplement or replacement.
Libra
Premium Member
join:2003-08-06
USA

Libra

Premium Member

I will be interested in seeing your non-technical solution when you complete it. Thank you.

Here's a copy of the Notice Verizon put on my Verizon page:

"FiOS is Here!

We are in the process of converting your entire service area to our state-of-the-art fiber-optic network and we need your help!

Products you may currently subscribe to such as High Speed Internet (DSL) or voice services over our copper phone lines will no longer be available in your area once this transition is complete. In order to transfer you to our fiber network, we need to schedule an appointment to install new equipment at your location. Scheduling this appointment immediately will ensure you a worry-free experience with no service interruptions. Act now to avoid any disruption of your service by simply selecting an option below.

As a result of upgrading to fiber, we will be able to offer you a complete bundle of services to address all your communications and entertainment needs. The upgrade allows you to keep the voice service you have today and also gives you the option to subscribe to our amazing FiOS TV and FiOS Internet services.

Reminder: The move to fiber optics will not change your current Verizon services or rates and you will not be charged for the installation or for the equipment required for the fiber upgrade
NOTE: If you wish to simply disconnect your existing service, please contact your local business office."

This sounds a bit ominous to me. But I will probably wait it out.

Sincerely, Libra

birdfeedr
MVM
Warwick, RI

1 recommendation

birdfeedr

MVM

said by Libra:

I will be interested in seeing your non-technical solution when you complete it. Thank you.

One really non-technical solution is to run a BBU in front of the FiOS BBU. But this is not efficient.

My solution will be an adapter that will allow you to connect to an external battery to provide power to the ONT during an extended power outage.

I am testing operation with a 35AH battery. I will provide part numbers and step-by-step instructions.

My question for you is how long an extended power outage do you want to plan for? Longest I've ever seen here in 30 years is 4 days once, 2.5 days once, and 1 day three times, although I know others nearby have seen up to 7 days of outage. Very rare that a power outage lasts more than a few hours.

Others might say that the copper lines put the burden for power backup on the telco, but I say the difference in service price will pay for the added cost of backup power in your home.

This is really off-topic, so when ready, I will make a new topic.
birdfeedr

1 recommendation

birdfeedr to Libra

MVM

to Libra
Staying on-topic:

The letter says that VZ will *eventually* migrate everyone off of copper. While they're thinking years, they want you to think months.

If you make the transition soon, they will be able to offer you a wider variety of services including TV and Internet. If you migrate you can retain your existing voice phone service with no change in rate.

What they're not saying clearly is that DSL is a copper service, not available on fiber. You will be migrated from DSL to FiOS internet, and if you choose to retain a similar speed/price package, they will offer you their 3/1 package which will be comparable performance to DSL, but I'm certain it will be a higher monthly price, with pressure and incentive to go faster. Once you've selected a speed which is part of a bundle (15/5 is current bundle minimum), you'll never be able to go backwards to slow and cheaper.

If you really want to keep your copper service, wait until they tell you they're shutting it off. Then migrate. But you already know that a second DV line will be cheaper than holding on to your existing copper line.

Weigh the pros and cons.
Light Guy
join:2006-05-12
Somerville, NJ

Light Guy to birdfeedr

to birdfeedr
Unplugging the battery leads before a major Storm, and if power is lost, connecting the battery for outgoing calls only, would give you 6-8 hours of outgoing service, this could last you through an extended outage.
It would be nice if there was a setting on the BBU to NOT activate the BBU during an outage unless manually switched on.
Furthermore being able to remotely wire that switch using a spare pair of phone wiring would give one the ability to control the battery usage from the phone location.
Obviously not a great solution for Lifeline, but if such a switch existed it would extend outgoing service enough to give most people confidence during an extended outage.

birdfeedr
MVM
Warwick, RI

birdfeedr

MVM

said by Light Guy:

Unplugging the battery leads before a major Storm, and if power is lost, connecting the battery for outgoing calls only, would give you 6-8 hours of outgoing service, this could last you through an extended outage.

While it would work as you describe, one flaw is ONT bootup time, which I've never tried to measure. And the possibility of accelerated ONT failure with repeated bootup cycles.

Extended outgoing service is a little different than confidence during emergency use.

But I like your idea.
Libra
Premium Member
join:2003-08-06
USA

Libra to birdfeedr

Premium Member

to birdfeedr
I apologize for the delay. The longest blackout we ever experienced lasted 24 hours, so that's what I would like to plan for.

Meanwhile Hurricane Sandy is suppose to be heading up the east coast and I hope it won't be as bad as they are predicting.

Thank you for looking into this.

Sincerely, Libra