Search similar:

uniqs

I_H8_Spam
join:2004-03-10
St Catharines, ON

2 edits

I_H8_Spam

11/20 - Planetside 2 launches

Been looking forward to this day ever since they announced Planetside Next. I'm absolutely amazed I didn't get a beta key from all the days I played PS1. But SOE stated current PS1 subs were assured access, past PS1 accounts were just shortlisted for beta random draws.

I'm on the fence for paying the 40$ alpha pack. It's essentially revenue neutral as you get the 40$ as premium currency; but I'm a little gunshy to SOE.

Anyone else in, or planning on launching 11/20? If this is anything close to PS1 was at launch expect a big time sink.

TigerLord

join:2002-06-09
Canada

TigerLord

Never played PS1, but will keep an eye out.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to I_H8_Spam

Premium Member

to I_H8_Spam
as long as it does not have those stupid robots. That drove me out of the first one. When the mechs first came out they where stupidly overpowered.

But PS1 still has many fond memories, Precision galaxy and Lodestar landings. ANT Drops into a hot base, Driving the AMS into a hot base. driving an ANT into a hot base by ground and under fire.

And then there is purely defense in an AA MAX while pulling an Alamo at a tech plant. You know you are cornered, refuel was purely by luck. But hell you where going to make the enemy pay for every meter do that command console.

in PS1 I ran with an outfit for awhile that because we where NC(NC FTW) we would suit up in Shotgun MAX suits and do what was called an MCT or "MAX Crash Team" basicaly some base types worked well in the back door had a fairly clean shot to the CC, twenty scatter MAX would fsck shit up if working as a coordinated strike team.

I_H8_Spam
St Catharines, ON

1 edit

I_H8_Spam

No game breaking robots at least for now, I hope SOE learned their lesson from the mass migration from PS1.

I worry about it being F2P, what made Planetside1 epic was people willing to do just what you described to hold a point. Not worry about some K:D, or mini maxing battle exp, personal gain. There is also the problems a F2P community bring to a game, mainly common channels that are pretty much useless, trolls, griefers and the likes.

I remember glue spamming for hours just to keep up dozen of deployables in action.

If you recall the crazyness of 400v400v400, the new engine can max 2000v2000v2000 players on a single tile now (about 1km2).

Ryan
Premium Member
join:2001-03-03
Boston, MA

Ryan to I_H8_Spam

Premium Member

to I_H8_Spam
OMFG...

That is all...

Rogue Wolf
An Easy Draw of a Sad Few
join:2003-08-12
Troy, NY

Rogue Wolf to I_H8_Spam

to I_H8_Spam
said by I_H8_Spam:

If you recall the crazyness of 400v400v400, the new engine can max 2000v2000v2000 players on a single tile now (about 1km2).

I think I'm gonna have to trade in my 660Ti for a HAL-9000.

I_H8_Spam
St Catharines, ON

I_H8_Spam to Kearnstd

to Kearnstd
said by TigerLord:

Never played PS1, but will keep an eye out.

Release to SOE purchase PS1 was amazing, after SOE things went to s*** the developers released some really unbalanced items (BFR) and the community responded by fleeing.

Early in development of PS2 the lead designer admitted the mistake, promised to not allow such an occurring to happen again.
said by Kearnstd:

in PS1 I ran with an outfit for awhile that because we where NC(NC FTW) we would suit up in Shotgun MAX suits and do what was called an MCT or "MAX Crash Team" basicaly some base types worked well in the back door had a fairly clean shot to the CC, twenty scatter MAX would fsck shit up if working as a coordinated strike team.

The latest posts have focused on the Metagame, they want to make the reason to fight more then just a reason to fight. Lattuce network has been revamped so backdooring will be much more challenging, not impossible but "Hai guys get in my lode" will prob fail.
said by Ryan:

OMFG...

That is all...

Tell me how you really feel.

Goggalor
Psychonaut
Premium Member
join:2009-06-09
Your Mind!

Goggalor

Premium Member

I reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaally want this to do well, as a F2P MMOFPS should be a bunch of fun. Maybe it will kick the regulars out of LoL to play it, too.

I AM
Premium Member
join:2010-04-11
Ephrata, PA

I AM to I_H8_Spam

Premium Member

to I_H8_Spam
Is there a sub?

I_H8_Spam
St Catharines, ON

I_H8_Spam

Yes there is a sub, but it's optional. It's 14.99 a month single, or 3-6-12 month bundles with discounts. You get like 500 ($5.00) stationcash a month with the sub so you can unlock premium items without a separate purchase. It provides 10%-50% gains in certs and experience gain. The longer you sub the higher the percentage.

There is also the stationcash store, with time duration certs and experience boost implants, which occupy a implant slot.

There is also talk of capping our command levels in the free accounts, or making it a grind to do without membership. I agree with this as a C5 (highest) has access to orbital weapons that can turn a battle, also supposedly outfits (guilds) have a pop. cap for free, and a much higher cap for membership.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to I_H8_Spam

Premium Member

to I_H8_Spam
400 man three ways in beta mostly happened at the dropship center on Gunuku. I used to play NC on a server that started with an M, I think it was Markov. That poor dropship center was likely one of the hottest spots in Planetside, If it was contested you knew where the party was.

As an Engineer I killed and got taken out by many Magmowers on the bridges there.

Speaking of... Mowing oh the fun that was mowing with the Bang Bus(sunderer) and the AMS... But before the mowing nerfs... the Magrider had quite the reputation and earned its Magmower nickname well.

And in reply to your second post too... Even in PS1 era they admitted the BFRs where a mistake, Problem is they where promised. My understanding is the course was laid out by the previous development director who departed during the peak of PS1, And nobody thought to just terminate development of them.

jester121
Premium Member
join:2003-08-09
Lake Zurich, IL

jester121 to I_H8_Spam

Premium Member

to I_H8_Spam
The Planetside beta was the least fun I've ever had playing a subscription game. Didn't bother buying it, expected it to die quickly, and am always surprised when I hear about people loving it and hoping for a sequel....

Different strokes, right?
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd

Premium Member

pre BFR planetside is likely still the best PVP MMO ever.

ekster
Hi there
Premium Member
join:2010-07-16
Sainte-Anne-De-Bellevue, QC

ekster to I_H8_Spam

Premium Member

to I_H8_Spam
No idea how long it'll last, but so far I've actually enjoyed this without a subscription. I won't be subscribing, but it seems like easy and fun to jump in whenever there is some free time so far.

I_H8_Spam
St Catharines, ON

I_H8_Spam

said by ekster:

No idea how long it'll last, but so far I've actually enjoyed this without a subscription. I won't be subscribing, but it seems like easy and fun to jump in whenever there is some free time so far.

PS2 Beta? Sub is totally optional, its F2P with a cash shop and premium options.

ekster
Hi there
Premium Member

ekster

Premium Member

I meant that I have no idea how long it being fun will last... I do not trust SOE too much when it comes to these things.

I_H8_Spam
St Catharines, ON

I_H8_Spam

Same here, hence my hesitation on the alpha beta offer. $40 isn't the issue, its what the 40 buys and it's confirmed stationcash cannot purchase any sub length, only in game cosmetic/side-grades/boosts.

Ryan
Premium Member
Boston, MA

Ryan

Premium Member

said by I_H8_Spam:

Same here, hence my hesitation on the alpha beta offer. $40 isn't the issue, its what the 40 buys and it's confirmed stationcash cannot purchase any sub length, only in game cosmetic/side-grades/boosts.

Judging by what you posted above isnt the preorder offer pretty much = maybe even greater then if you sub'd for a few months?

I_H8_Spam
St Catharines, ON

I_H8_Spam

40 bucks for "now" beta access, the 40 turns into stationcash. You also get all your tier 1 weapons for each faction and the first vehicle cert. Time savings is about a month of grinding the low level stuff to reach all the Tier1 weapons for each class and faction.

You can use the stationcash to buy implants for the experience and cert speed increase, but the membership provides this boost already.

if implants are anything like PS1, wasting them on exp/cert will "gimp" you to an extent.
I_H8_Spam

I_H8_Spam

Upload a couple gameplay videos from the latest beta. With a game this massive you can play as you like.

Forward Recon:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· 1RzKW3ZE

Fighter Jock:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· Bir6njik

Stealth + shotguns

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· py5F4oeI

Tank and spank

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· YHVKJAXI

Ryan
Premium Member
Boston, MA

Ryan to I_H8_Spam

Premium Member

to I_H8_Spam
said by I_H8_Spam:

40 bucks for "now" beta access, the 40 turns into stationcash. You also get all your tier 1 weapons for each faction and the first vehicle cert. Time savings is about a month of grinding the low level stuff to reach all the Tier1 weapons for each class and faction.

You can use the stationcash to buy implants for the experience and cert speed increase, but the membership provides this boost already.

if implants are anything like PS1, wasting them on exp/cert will "gimp" you to an extent.

Right, but my point is if you plan on getting the sub anyway isnt paying the 40 dollars now and not paying the premium sub for ~3 months just as valuable?

TheThing
join:2012-08-10

TheThing to I_H8_Spam

to I_H8_Spam
this and firefall were the fps mmos I was looking forward to.

I won't be paying for early access...

and I'll only be playing the f2p version of this game...

that is if my addiction with gw2 subsides

I_H8_Spam
St Catharines, ON

I_H8_Spam to Ryan

to Ryan
said by Ryan:

Right, but my point is if you plan on getting the sub anyway isnt paying the 40 dollars now and not paying the premium sub for ~3 months just as valuable?

Almost.. but there is some big differences. If you premium your account you get the boost % based on the duration of duration of sub purchase. The boost is account wide and is implant independent.

Cashstore purchases are cosmetic, sidegrade, and boost implants.

The only key difference with alpha squad is the automatic unlock of your tier 1 weps and vehicle certs that is quite a time saving.

Beta is just Beta, they are wiping all progress at launch and everyone starts at lvl1.

ekster
Hi there
Premium Member

ekster to I_H8_Spam

Premium Member

to I_H8_Spam
Well, surprisingly enough, I'm still having lots of fun with it.

Having squads made easily of 12-40 people, and raiding places, while constantly having enemies to fight is sure a lot more fun than being in tiny squads and crossing half the map to find someone to shoot.

I think I'll be playing it for a while still, as long as they keep it on this track. Level/cert progress has been great so far.

I_H8_Spam
St Catharines, ON

I_H8_Spam

Is the engine seeing some improvement? I know a friend mentioned his 560ti i5 system was having issues playing at medium.
Expand your moderator at work
I_H8_Spam

I_H8_Spam

Re: 11/20 - Planetside 2 launches

To get a good idea what larger scale battles look like: May I present Assaulting the Crown

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· 6Muqq3po

ekster
Hi there
Premium Member

ekster to I_H8_Spam

Premium Member

to I_H8_Spam
Not sure which problems there are. I did hear they've done some fixes to improve the engine in the last couple of updates... but I've been running it on an an i5 with radeon hd 7770 on high and I never had any problems.
brianiscool
join:2000-08-16
Tampa, FL

brianiscool to I_H8_Spam

to I_H8_Spam
FREE....

Now do they mean until you reach level 20?

Do you have to put more money into it to go past a certain level and obtaining skills?

I_H8_Spam
St Catharines, ON

I_H8_Spam

Free 2 Play with premium

You can level, rank your battle rank to top, rank your command rank to top. gain max vehicle certs, unlock all weapons, implants, armor. There is no restrictions on the free account on gameplay.

There is rumors that only premium accounts will be able to establish an outfit (guild), that is the only restriction I've heard may happen.

The premium cash shop sells custom models, camo patterns, and various boosts. If you want to speed up leveling, pay a little $$.

Also on a side note, some awesome (unnamed) person kicked me a beta code. Thank you very much to that person, you've made it 12/25 today.