Premium,MVM
join:2002-12-28
Milledgeville, GA
Reviews:
·Windstream
reply to I_H8_Spam

Re: 11/20 - Planetside 2 launches

said by I_H8_Spam:

Yeah make sure to completely uninstall the beta including that .dll they mention in the post.

»t.co/DMZPIARK

thanks for that info, now just need the website to come back.

TheThing

join:2012-08-10
kudos:1
reply to I_H8_Spam

WHAT DAY IS TODAY?

TODAY IS PLANETSIDE 2 F2P LAUNCH DAY!

taking tomorrow off:

#1 - get in LoL daily
#2 - get in GW2 daily
#3 - try PS2

I_H8_Spam

join:2004-03-10
St Catharines, ON

If you haven't downloaded it,

I'd suggest getting it on Steam the SOE updater is having issues with the volume of downloads. And considering SOE didn't provide a means to pre-install the download servers are being crushed.

I'm on Connery if anyone wants to squad up.
--
AFK: Attack, fight, kill!! The healer is telling you to go pull mobs.
WTF: Way to fight! The healer is applauding your tactical genius

TheThing

join:2012-08-10

I_H8_STEAM

will post my info once i get ROLLIN

I_H8_Spam

St Catharines, ON

Nice - I didn't Alpha Squad so I'll PM you my character name once I get in game.

kcrupp

join:2002-02-11
Allen Park, MI
reply to I_H8_Spam

Well? Any reviews? I'm seeing lots of complaints about framerates on the Steam forums.

kcrupp

Allen Park, MI
reply to I_H8_Spam

LOL! Non members in que - 468

ROTFLMAO!

Rogue Wolf
Mourns the Loss of lilhurricane

join:2003-08-12
Troy, NY

1 edit
reply to I_H8_Spam

Am I missing something painfully obvious or is there no in-game option to change keybinds or mouse settings?

EDIT: Strike that, turns out you have to be actually on the server in order to access the options menu. Not exactly the best way to go about it.
--
I may have been born yesterday, but I've spent all afternoon downtown.

kcrupp

Allen Park, MI
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..

said by Rogue Wolf:

Am I missing something painfully obvious or is there no in-game option to change keybinds or mouse settings?

Esc then settings. Settings might be in the lower right corner. Cant remember exactly, but I did it.

Rogue Wolf

Troy, NY

2 edits

said by kcrupp:

said by Rogue Wolf:

Esc then settings. Settings might be in the lower right corner. Cant remember exactly, but I did it.

The settings button in the login screen only shows graphics options; Escape does nothing on this screen. And I'd love to log in again to try, but I can't- the game closes out and brings up a browser window with a "gameError.defaultMessage" message.

EDIT: It's a G22 error message, which tells me to log out and back in (did, no effect) or... un/reinstall.

Look, Sony, game downloads are getting too damn big for the ol' "uninstall/reinstall" crap. If you can't make your game work I'm probably just not going to play it.

EDIT 2: SON OF EDIT: Yeah, apparently the error was some problem with the server, unlike what their list of error codes actually told me. Now I just have to worry about how to keybind everything.
--

I_H8_Spam

St Catharines, ON

said by Rogue Wolf:

said by kcrupp:

said by Rogue Wolf:

The settings button in the login screen only shows graphics options; Escape does nothing on this screen. And I'd love to log in again to try, but I can't- the game closes out and brings up a browser window with a "gameError.defaultMessage" message.

G20 - usually a dx error, resetting often fixes this..

Little freebie for the day>

If you log into Free Realms (»www.freerealms.com/) and Clone Wars Adventures (»www.clonewarsadventures.com/index.action) with your planetside 2 SOE account you get 170 free station cash. You don't have to download the client, just log in and accept the EULA.

Enjoy!
--

kcrupp

Allen Park, MI
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..
reply to Rogue Wolf

said by Rogue Wolf:

said by kcrupp:

said by Rogue Wolf:

Well, I know you can do it in game after hitting Esc and yes, you're right, you cant do it from the log in screen settings. There's an awful lot of people trying to play right now. They are swamped. I'll try again tomorrow.

Rogue Wolf

Troy, NY
reply to I_H8_Spam

Well, now that the technical problems are out of the way and I can play the game with a measurable degree of ease, I'm going to have to say that I'm... cautiously optimistic. There seem to be a few lag issues with people warping around (haven't seen the same with vehicles, fortunately) and the starter weapons strike me as a little outmatched by more properly-kitted ones.

The one thing I was the most afraid of while following this game- dominance of vehicles, and a lack of necessity for infantry- hasn't really materialized. Vehicles are crucial for getting from place to place across open terrain, sure, but infantry charges are required to get into the buildings that house the objectives. Plus careful infantry with the right equipment can hold their own against vehicles.

Still, I'm a little hesitant to climb into any aircraft until I've seen that the pilot knows what he/she/it is doing. I've seen far too many Galaxies land upside down at high speed already.

If my rig can handle the strain, I'll see about recording some gameplay (read: Me getting gunned down repeatedly) tomorrow.
--

I_H8_Spam

St Catharines, ON

haha

Yeah do not fly with strangers, you will often end up dead. I'll only step in an Outfits and Squads Lib or Gal. The weapon scaling is wonky I agree but this isn't BF3 it takes a lot more hits to kill someone. And if your marked up by 2-3 or more people, your ass is grass.

I really like what they have done to fresh players on their first log in. Gone is the drop you at the warpgate with no instructions. Now your launched into battle, pre-squaded and ready to die.
--

ekster
Hi there
Premium
join:2010-07-16
Lachine, QC
kudos:3
Reviews:
·FreePhoneLine
reply to Rogue Wolf

Starter weapons might be outmatched in a one on one... but it's never supposed to be a one on one game. Not sure how the new weapons are as I haven't found the time to log in yet, but I used only starter weapons during beta as I kept switching classes and getting more general certs and never had trouble on going on killing sprees, even as a medic/engi/infiltrator (and with a handgun! I don't know how many infantry I've killed up close with the handgun... sometimes I think it's easier to fight with it vs an assault rifle...) Find a proper squad/platoon and the most basic weapons can take anyone down.

As for flying... yeah, I never jump into a random galaxy. It's only squad/platoon/outfit gal for me. In fact, the same goes for sunderers, tanks or anything else.

I_H8_Spam

St Catharines, ON

The handgun will drop all but a max or heavy assault in as little as three shots.

ekster
Hi there
Premium
join:2010-07-16
Lachine, QC

Yeah, that's what I found out when I kept scouting as an infiltrator. Plus it's a lot easier to hit in general as I take time to aim and make every shot count.

Rogue Wolf

Troy, NY
reply to ekster

said by I_H8_Spam:

I really like what they have done to fresh players on their first log in. Gone is the drop you at the warpgate with no instructions. Now your launched into battle, pre-squaded and ready to die.

...without an opportunity to change keybinds or other important settings. Not what I'd call an enjoyable first experience!

said by ekster:

I don't know how many infantry I've killed up close with the handgun... sometimes I think it's easier to fight with it vs an assault rifle...

The recoill of the assault rifle is a little overdone, I think, but you're right- the sidearm is much more controllable in tight quarters. The problem is that I seldom find myself in situations where it's advantageous.

The number-one problem I have so far is that the game really doesn't give my playstyle (flanking and careful advancement) much room to shine. (I tend to do a lot better in games where you're dealing with fireteam- or squad-sized groups in more varied urban areas.) I'm finding myself sticking with Light Assault and its jetpack so that I can find unique angles to engage the enemy from.
--

I_H8_Spam

St Catharines, ON

Flanking plays a huge part in base defense, not much so in Bio Labs given their design, Tech Plants and Amp stations have huge courtyards to defend. The areas around the gensets have lots of cover and some great perches.

Right now zerg is the strat for the pubbers, a good outfit will use the zerg distraction to cap influence tiles near an objective or split the defenders by opening a new front.
--

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
reply to I_H8_Spam

I was surprised to spawn at a sunderer. seems it has replaced the AMS.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

I_H8_Spam

St Catharines, ON

Sunderers are the "new" AMS in PS2, you need to spend 50 cert points to unlock the mobile spawn point. And you can only have 1 deployed within 200m of each other.

However it's a great way to move the front, often in a night there will be a call for the squad to "redeploy" on a freshly parked sunderer to reinforce a gap, or exploit a weakness. Again this is outfit play, random puggers do as they please.

--

Rogue Wolf

Troy, NY
reply to Kearnstd

said by Kearnstd:

Yeah, it seems that once a Sunderer is deployed, it serves as a spawn point. I don't think the same holds if it's mobile.

Captured some game footage today! Some good, some bad. All very shooty. Unfortunately the game runs kind of sluggishly even without taxing my GPU or CPU very much. There's supposed to be new drivers from nVidia for the game, though, so I'll have to check that out.
--

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
Mullica Hill, NJ
reply to I_H8_Spam

I will say I suck at the Reaver. Flies much more like a brick than the PS1 version did.

Strangely I have racked up the most of my kills with base turrets.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

Moos
Tequilablob
Premium
join:2008-12-11
Salt Lake City, UT

You guys flying with joysticks or Mouse/keyboard?

I_H8_Spam

St Catharines, ON

1 edit
reply to Rogue Wolf

said by Rogue Wolf:

said by Kearnstd:

Yeah, it seems that once a Sunderer is deployed, it serves as a spawn point. I don't think the same holds if it's mobile.

Sundy's can only spawn when locked down with "B" and not within 200m of another deployed Sundy.

There is a few variety of Sunderers and while often neglected there is a bunch of ways to play one; not always passive.

Some popular varieties.

AMS - Mobile Spawn - Costs 50 certs and ties up your Utility Slot. Every squad should have people certed for this skill. Sunderers are expensive and often if one if killed quickly a replacement needs to be brought to the front.
*Mobile ammo or vehicle repair are great options for the defense slot on an AMS, also don't neglect kitted anti infantry guns.

Base Buster - Gate shield, Blockade armor, Racer package.
Doesn't always work, but 2 of these can deliver 24 people inside the force fields of bases. This is very effective with a high ratio of infiltrators to pop the gensets of Tech Plants/Amp Stations and allow the zerg in.

said by Moos:

Joystick was bugged to hell all Beta, but is fixed for the most part.
I'm using an Attack 3 with sensitivity way down.

--

I_H8_Spam

St Catharines, ON
reply to Kearnstd

said by Kearnstd:

I will say I suck at the Reaver. Flies much more like a brick than the PS1 version did.

Strangely I have racked up the most of my kills with base turrets.

Im finding my sweet spot in engineer, like medic there is always ways to earn xp without direct fire involvement.

Building Passive Nano Heal Suit, Claymores , Barrage Shotty, Level 3 ammo and tech tool.

Keeping ammo down for the zerg, and repairing the max suits, easily making 2-3k experience per capture - equals about 20-30 kills of direct action.
--

Rogue Wolf

Troy, NY
reply to Moos

said by Moos:

I don't own a joystick and therefore I'm not flying at all. Keyboard flight is stupid difficult. I mean, I could probably maneuver a Galaxy without too much trouble, but trying to dogfight or even do attack runs? No siree Bob.
--

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
Mullica Hill, NJ
reply to I_H8_Spam

I own a joystick maybe I should try it

I_H8_Spam

St Catharines, ON
reply to Rogue Wolf

said by Rogue Wolf:

said by Moos:

I don't own a joystick and therefore I'm not flying at all. Keyboard flight is stupid difficult. I mean, I could probably maneuver a Galaxy without too much trouble, but trying to dogfight or even do attack runs? No siree Bob.

Its not that challenging, Joysticks in beta were broken to hell. Having an adjustable DPI mouse helps with major maneuvers but after some practice runs you get the basics down.

Then soon after leaving the safety of sacturary, you'll be blown out of the sky by air, land or turret.
--

Rogue Wolf

Troy, NY
reply to I_H8_Spam

For anyone who's interested, here's forty-two minutes of unedited Light Assault gameplay from some guy who really doesn't know what he's doing:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4-wIFaDOxU

--