Maybe you shouldn't be so proud?
Premium Member
join:2002-01-19
Brooklyn, NY

crazediamond to I_H8_Spam

Premium Member

to I_H8_Spam

Re: 11/20 - Planetside 2 launches

ok so I played this for a little while last night and this morning and probably the most important question i have thus far:

I'm having it autoassign me to a squad and last night I thought I could see my squad mates on the deployment map (that way I could deploy where they were). This morning I kept switching squads and I swear I never saw their numbers on the deploy map. Was I just blind or was I doing something wrong?

Also, is it safe to assume that when you randomly join squads they're likely to not do things like use waypoints?

Moos
Tequilablob
Premium Member
join:2008-12-11
Salt Lake City, UT

Moos

Premium Member

I find I have to leave/Join quite a few squads till I find one that's organized. As for not being able to find people on your map they are probably on a different continent. Up in the left hand side of the screen on your main map there is three continents. Re-deploy to your squad leader or a close drop point. It took me 2 days to figure that out. I'm starting to enjoy the game alot more as I continue to play and figure out what the hell i'm doing. They fixed quite a bit since beta.

ekster
Hi there
Premium Member
join:2010-07-16
Sainte-Anne-De-Bellevue, QC

ekster to crazediamond

Premium Member

to crazediamond
They're either on a different continent, or they're all inside a vehicle/aircraft (you don't see the big numbers in that case, just a little green vehicle/aircraft instead)

As for way points... it all depends on who is the leader. Our outfit (and many others) sometimes open up the platoon to public and we use tactics and way points with everyone.

crazediamond
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

crazediamond to Moos

Premium Member

to Moos
Did not even realize there were multiple continents

Moos
Tequilablob
Premium Member
join:2008-12-11
Salt Lake City, UT

Moos

Premium Member

Lol, like I said, I did the same thing. Gotta love the Noob Moments!

I_H8_Spam
join:2004-03-10
St Catharines, ON

I_H8_Spam

M then squad will bring up a list of pug squads, its much better than just rolling the dice with insert. Outfits will open up squads to randoms with comms and good ones will state objectives in the description.

Rogue Wolf
An Easy Draw of a Sad Few
join:2003-08-12
Troy, NY

Rogue Wolf to I_H8_Spam

to I_H8_Spam
And tonight I will consider the situation of being the only guy on a six-person capture point for three minutes, steadily whittling away the red bar, until the enemy came and killed me and took the point.

Do people think the letters on the screen are for helping them practice the alphabet?

Fiftycals
join:2010-02-16
El Paso, TX

Fiftycals to I_H8_Spam

to I_H8_Spam
Thinking about DLing this game today. Few questions.

How big is the DL and the Patching after?
Is it completely free to DL and play?
How many servers are there and do you guys have a particular server you all play on (DSLR folks)?
Is it worth the computer space?

Thanks

I_H8_Spam
St Catharines, ON

I_H8_Spam

said by Fiftycals:

How big is the DL and the Patching after?

6.2gb so far, its a live patcher so if you have a SSD its doesn't download a patch then overwrite, it just downloads the replacements. You can also Steam the download.
said by Fiftycals:

Is it completely free to DL and play?

Yes, you can level and experience all content without a dollar put out. However like a Freemium game there is boosts to speed up leveling, camo and customization.
said by Fiftycals:

How many servers are there and do you guys have a particular server you all play on (DSLR folks)?

Dozen, No DSLR orginization. 3 Factions per server. I'm on Connery as Scapegoat, welcome to get you in a large active outfit.
said by Fiftycals:

Is it worth the computer space?

If you are a fan of the fps shooter genre yes. It a much different experience then what you will have seen in other games. It does lack polish and optimization, they did rush to launch but being F2P I give them a ton of leeway here.

Uncle Paul
join:2003-02-04
USA

Uncle Paul to Rogue Wolf

to Rogue Wolf
said by Rogue Wolf:

The recoill of the assault rifle is a little overdone, I think, but you're right- the sidearm is much more controllable in tight quarters. The problem is that I seldom find myself in situations where it's advantageous.

The number-one problem I have so far is that the game really doesn't give my playstyle (flanking and careful advancement) much room to shine. (I tend to do a lot better in games where you're dealing with fireteam- or squad-sized groups in more varied urban areas.) I'm finding myself sticking with Light Assault and its jetpack so that I can find unique angles to engage the enemy from.

Different factions have different weapon strengths and weaknesses. The VS have the fastest projectile speed in the game. That's their benefit. TR have the best rates of fire but worst damage for each individual shot, NC have the strongest projectiles but the worst recoil and rate of fire. VS have the fastest shots and the least recoil in comparison to TR and NC. Vanu also get no bullet drop. To compensate their weapons do less damage over distance.

Tight quarters? Shotgun all the way.

Flanking and objective approach are key. The open terrain battles are just awesome. Infantry running in while hip and crouch firing, tanks surging bast and being taken out, air cover overhead while the base AA are going off.

The main force engages while alternative fronts are set up to attack from different sides of the base. Biodome conflicts are about as close/urban fighting as you can get.
Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul to I_H8_Spam

to I_H8_Spam
Oh and for anyone that has game crashing on launch issues with some of their gaming keyboards or gamepads and you're running Windows 8, the problem is Direct X. You need to find a DInput8.dll and drop it in the Planetside folder. I took mine off my kid's Win 7 machine and solved the problem.

crazediamond
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

crazediamond to Uncle Paul

Premium Member

to Uncle Paul
Attacking crown was about the least enjoyable thing ever :P And yet we always seem to be working on it

TheThing
join:2012-08-10

TheThing to I_H8_Spam

to I_H8_Spam
tried this over the thanksgiving week.

it's pretty cool, but I just don't think, with my time constraints its my cup of tea

still liking Firefall graphics, play control and overall feel better

i mean basically firefall is going to be F2P WoW FPS

I_H8_Spam
St Catharines, ON

1 edit

I_H8_Spam

I've yet to play Firefall, but the video's I've seen lead me to believe it should be a fun ride. When is release?

Planetside is experiencing some growning pains at the moment, but for the time i've put in I'm still enjoying it. Again being a massive game your experience may differ.

Also on the PS2 front. If you run GeForce card, 310.61 beta drivers gives a huge performance gain. Radeon users 12.11 beta 8 can bring up frame rates by 10-20 fps.

ekster
Hi there
Premium Member

ekster to TheThing

Premium Member

to TheThing
My time constraints are horrible right now as I'm working full time, studying part time, and always have a huge amount of stuff to do around the house... and I find this game to be perfect for me. I might log in once or twice a week... but the fact that it's an MMO, it always guarantees that no matter when I log in, there will always be people. And a lot of people.

I've found an outfit that's fairly good, but not demanding of the playing time. They don't expect me to be on like I used to do it back in college... but at the same time, I know that whenever I log in, I can always find a great team to jump into action with.

And I always had a problem with any other game like BF2, TF2, et. because I didn't have a lot of time, and would spend too much time trying to find a decent game, or a decent server... and the low population made it hard.

As for Planetside finally out of beta. I'm still having a blast. It pretty much put all my other games on the backlist. Performance has had a huge improvement last week compared to beta. My only complaint is that my outfit picked a server that ended up being a bit too popular and there's sometimes a 10 minute queue to get in... I rather enjoyed the lower amount of players during beta for that.

TheThing

TheThing

my own teams tanks kept running over me! LOL

hilarious

Uncle Paul
USA

Uncle Paul

Stop running in the road.

ekster
Hi there
Premium Member

ekster to TheThing

Premium Member

to TheThing
lol, I used to get run over quite a bit too.

I've now learned to look both ways when crossing a road, and making sure to dash when I do it.

Seriously, I do spend more time looking around me making sure no one runs me over, or lands on me, whenever we finish taking over a base and everyone is leaving vs when I'm assaulting an enemy base. My empire is more dangerous the than the enemy!

But I usually avoid being on foot unless I'm assaulting anyway. Maps are too big too be running around.

Rogue Wolf
Troy, NY

Rogue Wolf to TheThing

to TheThing
said by TheThing:

it's pretty cool, but I just don't think, with my time constraints its my cup of tea

Well, the thing I've discovered is that you can easily log in, deploy to a hot zone, shoot crap for however long you like, and then drop out. Getting into the action in this game almost never takes more than a couple of minutes, and assaults are usually so heavily populated that nobody will notice if you logout in the middle of one (unless you do so while flying a Galaxy ).

TheThing

TheThing

more so... that I'm hooked on GW2 and LoL

don't have time for a third!

I_H8_Spam
St Catharines, ON

I_H8_Spam to Rogue Wolf

to Rogue Wolf
said by Rogue Wolf:

said by TheThing:

Well, the thing I've discovered is that you can easily log in, deploy to a hot zone, shoot crap for however long you like, and then drop out. Getting into the action in this game almost never takes more than a couple of minutes, and assaults are usually so heavily populated that nobody will notice if you logout in the middle of one (unless you do so while flying a Galaxy ).

Page Down, select lock, be at 1000m. Logout .... ??Profit??

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
join:2009-01-07
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone to I_H8_Spam

Premium Member

to I_H8_Spam
I installed this game last night and gave it go. It confirmed my view point on mutliplayer FPS. There's nothing fun about them.

There was no where you could walk or hide without constantly getting sniped.

Graphics and sound were alright. Had a SWTOR feel to it.

ekster
Hi there
Premium Member

ekster

Premium Member

Were you playing a lone wolf?

I only play in a platoon and snipers is the last thing I worry about.
I got sniped maybe 5 times in the past 2 months. 3 of those times were this week as I was fooling around and kept trying to sneak up on enemy snipers and knife them... but they were on top of an annoying mountain so I was an easy target.

This game is seriously designed to join a squad and play as a team. If you want to play alone, or play in a random public squad, chances of having fun will be very low.

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
Nashville, TN

1 edit

Ghastlyone

Premium Member

said by ekster:

Were you playing a lone wolf?

I only play in a platoon and snipers is the last thing I worry about.
I got sniped maybe 5 times in the past 2 months. 3 of those times were this week as I was fooling around and kept trying to sneak up on enemy snipers and knife them... but they were on top of an annoying mountain so I was an easy target.

This game is seriously designed to join a squad and play as a team. If you want to play alone, or play in a random public squad, chances of having fun will be very low.

I was in a squad group, but in the middle of about 30 other players in a combat zone.

It didn't matter which way you turned, ran, etc. if you came out from cover to try and engage anyone, you were dead within seconds.

Not even fun in the least.

ekster
Hi there
Premium Member

ekster

Premium Member

You were probably in the middle of a zerg then. It takes a bit of getting used to, but you only die quick if you go in a huge battle without a plan. If you get a good platoon where squads work together and have objects, it becomes a different game. I still suck at this compared to my squaddies, and I can easily run around, destroy stuff and kill on the front lines and easily spend an hour without dying. And we often do heavy assaults.

It's also very different from other FPS games. It's no BF3 or MoH or CoD... you don't run to into a building and maybe face 3 or 4 guys... 10 if it's a really hot spot. You run into a base and face 200+ people.

When I join up my outfit's platoon, our platoon is always full. That alone is 48 people... sometimes we split in two and fill a squad or two with non-outfit players... that becomes almost a 100 players. And at times, we coordinate with other outfits, bringing our numbers alone to 150-300. If you don't have good platoon and squad leaders, you will die fast, you will die a lot and it'll suck.

I hated it at first as well, as I had no idea what the hell was going on... but after getting in a good squad, things changed fast. While there will obviously be people who won't like this game, getting killed in seconds isn't part of the game.

Uncle Paul
USA

Uncle Paul to I_H8_Spam

to I_H8_Spam
I tend not to have a whole lot of deaths to snipers. I do get a repeatedly, tend to be headshots while moving somewhat randomly. I get the impression it's probably someone using an aimbot but it's not something that happens very often.

I did join an outfit and I can agree that combined arms is what the game is all about. You won't get anywhere near the enjoyment out of going lone wolf than running with a dedicated platoon that has someone in the command channels.

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone to I_H8_Spam

Premium Member

to I_H8_Spam
I played for a couple hours more last night and it was a little more enjoyable this time. I think I'm starting to get a clue about what's going on and where.

The maps are staggering how large they are.

I_H8_Spam
St Catharines, ON

I_H8_Spam

Teamplay is so required to enjoy this game, if you want a solo MMO; this is not going to be enjoyable at all.

That being said, I'm a casual player. I can log in, say Hi, join an outfit squad and be in battle in mere minutes. If I need to go, log.

markofmayhem
Why not now?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-08
Pittsburgh, PA

markofmayhem

Premium Member

said by I_H8_Spam:

Teamplay is so required to enjoy this game, if you want a solo MMO; this is not going to be enjoyable at all.

That being said, I'm a casual player. I can log in, say Hi, join an outfit squad and be in battle in mere minutes. If I need to go, log.

That's the great part Though, I make sure I'm not Squad lead and flying a full Galaxy before I log out... Learned THAT lesson

j/k

Rogue Wolf
Troy, NY

Rogue Wolf to I_H8_Spam

to I_H8_Spam
Well, I've discovered that I'm never going to be a pilot- at least not a fighter pilot, anyway. Not only do I not have the skill for it, but if I have to pull maneuvers while in the cockpit view then my vertigo kicks in. Even being a gunner while someone else flies does that to me sometimes.

Also, I despise the autocannon attachment for the Liberator's lower guns. Too inaccurate and not enough ammunition.