spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

JohnTO

@start.ca

carrier - cable

Is start.ca using only HE as their carrier for cable services?

In every traceroute i only notice HE.

If this is the case, why? Do you have any backup carrier?

Do you expect to get more carries for better routing?

Thanks

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
join:2008-11-16
London, ON
kudos:23
We use Bell, HE, Cogent and are peered with TorIX and other various interconnections.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
reply to JohnTO
»bgp.he.net/AS40788 has lots of interesting information if you're interested...

vonSchroeder

join:2004-11-12
Hamilton, ON

2 edits
reply to JohnTO
I too have noticed only HE is being used for transit for outbound routes, even when it appears Cogent would provide a better route . I have run traceroutes to all of the monitoring stations here: »www.nimsoft.com/content/Nimsoft/ ··· ons.html. For all except one (where Torix is used) HE is used on the outbound.

For inbound my IP is announced through HE and Cogent (no Bell) (»route.robtex.com/108.170.128.0-1 ··· -ca.html) and the inbound routes appear to be an equal mix between HE and Cogent. But on the outbound HE appears to be heavily favoured to the point of being almost exclusively used.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
Roughly, Hurricane takes 45%, Bell 25%, Cogent 20% and TorIX/other peers about 10%

vonSchroeder

join:2004-11-12
Hamilton, ON

1 edit
said by rocca:

Roughly, Hurricane takes 45%, Bell 25%, Cogent 20% and TorIX/other peers about 10%

That may be the case but Cogent and Bell are not represented at all in outbound routes from my connection.

Here are some examples where HE is being used even though Cogent would provide a better route.

Here is a route to a Nuclear Fallout (Internap) VPS in Chicago:

I know the VPS is announced through Cogent and this is the route I took when with Cogeco:

For whatever reason, even though Cogent is supposed to be used as one of the transit provides my route goes Start --> HE --> XO --> Internap, rather than Start --> Cogent --> Internap. Latency is the same either way but the current route includes an extra AS hop.

Another example. The New York Watchmouse monitor station:

This route also goes out via HE despite being reachable more directly by Cogent. See my route when with Cogeco.

Current route goes Start --> HE --> Time Warner Telecom --> Turnkey, rather than Start --> Cogent --> Turnkey

So for whatever reason HE is being heavily favoured and used exclusively on the outbound (from my connection anyway).

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
said by vonSchroeder:

So for whatever reason HE is being heavily favoured and used exclusively on the outbound (from my connection anyway).

There are lots of metrics at play, but yes not a lot of paths will transit Cogent for off-net routes. We're also adding another large player in November and routing policy may change again then based on real-world patterns. We continuously monitor, measure and report to ensure we are providing the best performance and reliability.