Search similar:

uniqs
Cablejim10875
join:2012-09-21
Bath, ME

Cablejim10875 to lmacmil

to lmacmil

Re: [DVR] UPS on the DVR?

If you can a new X1 box if it s availabe in your area. The guide loads within a couple of minutes since its internet based.Like most things its based on stock so new customers will get it before existing.
GTFan
join:2004-12-03
Austell, GA

GTFan to SpHeRe31459

to SpHeRe31459
said by SpHeRe31459:

Yep put it on a UPS, lots of people do it for that very reason.

And sadly newer boxes do not change how fast the guide reloads, because it's not a function of the box per-say, the limiting factor is how Comcast sends the guide data over the cable network. It's sent in trickles over the out-of-band (OOB) stream which is a tiny little piece of bandwidth. It's a very "legacy" and lowest common denominator way to do the guide data, for old SD boxes that cannot do any other way.

The limiting factor is Moto and Comcast being too cheap to put a small flash chip in the boxes to cache the guide data. Or just use a small bit of the HD space fer cryin' out loud.

The answer is always a UPS, this will also help you avoid incomplete recordings due to power glitches.
Glenn548
join:2003-08-03
Upper Marlboro, MD

Glenn548 to dishrich

to dishrich
What make or model UPS are you guys using?
dishrich
join:2006-05-12
Springfield, IL

dishrich to Joe12345678

to Joe12345678
said by Joe12345678:

or you can get directv with where the guide is back after a reboot with out the 24 hour wait

Well in spite of yet another one of your thousand+ DTV commercials, it also takes almost 10 MIN for their fricken DVR's to reboot in the first place!

But agree on the UPS, for ANY provider's DVR...helps to extend it's life, particularly the HDD.

Caddyroger
Premium Member
join:2001-06-11
To the west

Caddyroger to lmacmil

Premium Member

to lmacmil
Yes use a ups and plug you electronics in it. A good ups will surge protection with also.

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium Member
join:2008-01-06

beachintech to Joe12345678

Premium Member

to Joe12345678
Thanks for the helpful post.

Yes, put a UPS on it. It's save a few football games for me due to a few small power fluctuations over the years. Cheap insurance.
Russ6
join:2011-03-17
Houston, TX

Russ6 to Joe12345678

to Joe12345678
The following posts explain how guide data is sent to the STB:

»Re: [STB] Cisco thinking of getting out of the set-top box busin

»Re: [DVR] Comcast Guide slooooow reloading

»Re: [DVR] What determines how fast the guide is restored?
Joe12345678
join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL

1 edit

Joe12345678 to lmacmil

to lmacmil
or you can get directv with where the guide is back after a reboot with out the 24 hour wait
psuPete
join:2010-08-09
Lemont, PA

psuPete to SpHeRe31459

to SpHeRe31459
I have mine on a UPS, though from time to time, I do a manual POR of the STB.

It does usually take more than 24-h to complete the Guide reload.

/Pete
SpHeRe31459
Premium Member
join:2002-10-09
Sacramento, CA

SpHeRe31459 to lmacmil

Premium Member

to lmacmil
Yep put it on a UPS, lots of people do it for that very reason.

And sadly newer boxes do not change how fast the guide reloads, because it's not a function of the box per-say, the limiting factor is how Comcast sends the guide data over the cable network. It's sent in trickles over the out-of-band (OOB) stream which is a tiny little piece of bandwidth. It's a very "legacy" and lowest common denominator way to do the guide data, for old SD boxes that cannot do any other way.
lmacmil
join:2001-01-26
South Bend, IN

lmacmil

I have a Moto 3416 and when the power goes out, even for a second, I lose all the guide info and it takes about 24 hrs to re-populate. This happens once a month or so.

Since 95% of the power interruptions are less than a minute duration, I'm thinking a small UPS would solve that issue. Alternatively, are there newer DVR boxes (I've had mine since 2006) that populate the guide more quickly (and maybe have the extra benefit of additional storage)?

Thoughts?