START Today!
kudos:7

4 edits

CallCentric Linksys ATA Screenshots

Click for full size
PAP2T - Sample of SYSTEM Page
Click for full size
PAP2T - Sample of Line 2 Page for CallCentric DNS SRV settings
(PAP2T - Sample of Line 2 Page for CallCentric DNS SRV settings.jpg)
PAP2T :

Here are the settings which I have been using for the past 2 or 3 days (as of the date I began this thread) :

Notes for the SYSTEM page of the PAP2T (Common to BOTH Phone Lines) :

The FIRMWARE is Ver 5.1.6 LS (the newest and FINAL rev).

The DNS is specified here rather than DHCP'd from the router.

The DNS Server Order is set to MANUAL (meaning Manual ONLY, with no DHCP), so that the router will NEVER be asked for a DNS IP by the PAP2T. [I took the screenshot with the Pulldown for this setting Opened, so that you can see the other choices]

My Primary DNS is showing a dummy IP number in the screenshot, and is really set to one of my ISP's DNS IPs, and I suggest that you set your unit to one or both of your ISP's DNS IPs.

My Secondary DNS is set to Google, as it was before, and (as I understand things) as long as the Primary is OK, the ATA will not try to use the Secondary.

Also, I have set a Static IP for the PAP2T itself. - If you choose to do this, be sure to stay clear of the IP range which your router offers for DHCP (which by default often starts at around 100, but sometimes as low as 50)

My other VoIP provider works fine with the above settings (AND with what I had before).

Notes for the Line 2 page of the PAP2T (Specific to CallCentric) :

The server names (Proxy & Outbound Proxy) are both set to srv.callcentric.com (though some folks prefer to set the 'Proxy' to callcentric.com instead - there have recently been varying opinions on that, including those of CallCentric themselves, depending upon which day we asked them, and upon what sort of attack was happening to them on that particular day)

DNS-SRV & DNS-SRV Auto Prefix are both Enabled

The time numbers are both set to 180 (though some folks prefer 120 now).

I have NOT entered a 'SIP Port' number as I am relying on the DNS-SRV record to take care of that.

= = = = = = =

BTW, my ROUTER is a Linksys WRT54GL running Tomato Shibby/Toastman edition, with the QoS currently disabled, and my Internet is from START Communications (Indie ISP) thru a Cogeco Cable feed on a Docsis 3 modem, 20Mbps Down and 1.5 Mbps Up.

PX Eliezer7
Premium
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
kudos:13

Re: DNS Screenshots for PAP2T & CallCentric

Out-fricking-standing, and worthy of a No-BHELL prize!

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!

3 edits

Awwww Shucks ! [Blushes]

That would be a No-BHell PIECE prize then, right ?

Yeah, I reckoned that it was about time that someone did this, for as outdated as this ATA is, it is also VERY popular, and posting a summary of everything I have learned about it during this schimozzle, into the OP of a thread, might keep it visible for longer.

Is the SPA2102 as old as the PAP2T ? (I noticed the thread about its more recent FW update.) »spa-2102 firmware update

= = = = = = = =

As of today, not many new tweets about @Callcentric, which I take as an encouraging sign.

--

We have only 2 things about which to worry :
(1) That things may never get back to normal
(2) That they already HAVE !
-
START Forum »Start Communications
Or you can still use Canadian Broadband.

rblizz

join:2001-12-16
North Richland Hills, TX
Reviews:
·Callcentric
reply to Davesnothere

This is how I have my SPA2102 set up, except I'm using the AT&T DNS servers and I have the Registry Expires set to 120. My SPA2102 is also running Firmware 5.1.6.

It's also how I have my father's and brother's SPA2102s, my brother's "work" PAP2T and my daughter's and other brother's SPA1001s set up.

All registered and worked as soon as these settings saved.

If anyone wants, I can get screenshots of the SPA2102 and SPA1001, but they are very similar to PAP2T, shown above. They just use the older style Sipura/Linksys web design as opposed to the "prettier" new-style Linksys one.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

2 edits

said by rblizz:

....If anyone wants, I can get screenshots of the SPA2102 and SPA1001, but they are very similar to PAP2T, shown above.

Good to know !

Yes, those screenshots would fit in quite well here, and I could revise the name of the thread to the BRAND rather than the model of the ATA.

I think that OTHER ATA and SIP PHONE brands would be better in separate threads, and I would be happy to link to those threads from here.

Cheers !

rblizz

North Richland Hills, TX
Reviews:
·Callcentric

1 edit

This is the first time I've tried uploading. It looks like I should have cropped the SPA1001 System and SPA2102 WAN captures. I'll see if I can redo this a bit later.

EDIT: I've deleted the images here, cropped the System and WAN screenshots and posted each device separately. (See below).

verix

join:2004-12-30
Oakland, CA
reply to Davesnothere

Re: DNS Screenshots for Linksys & CallCentric

Thanks very much for this. I have an SPA2102 and it's never been in Callcentric's device list.

rblizz

North Richland Hills, TX
Reviews:
·Callcentric
reply to Davesnothere

Re: DNS Screenshots for SPA1001 & CallCentric

Click for full size
SPA1001 System Screen
Click for full size
SPA1001 Line 1 Screen
Retrying this. I'll keep the two devices separate and delete the originals. Here are the screenshots for the SPA1001.

rblizz

North Richland Hills, TX
Reviews:
·Callcentric

2 edits
reply to Davesnothere

Re: DNS Screenshots for SPA2102 & CallCentric

Click for full size
SPA2102 WAN Screen
Click for full size
SPA2102 Line 1 (NAT settings now turned on)
Okay, the SPA1001 screenshots look better. Here are the SPA2102 ones. Note, I've turned the NAT settings on in Line 1 since first posting this image and have posted the newer screenshot.

hardly
Premium
join:2004-02-10
USA

It seems curious to me that on the SPA-2102 that you have NAT Mapping Enable and NAT Keep Alive Enable both set to no.

rblizz

North Richland Hills, TX
Reviews:
·Callcentric
reply to verix

said by verix:

Thanks very much for this. I have an SPA2102 and it's never been in Callcentric's device list.

I just followed the PAP2(T) instructions. Left everyone default except for what they told me to change. If you want, I can take screenshots of all the three or four pages where they have you change settings for CallCentric. I think I could post it (temporarily) on Diigo's "Awesome Screenshot" site.

rblizz

North Richland Hills, TX
Reviews:
·Callcentric
reply to hardly

said by hardly:

It seems curious to me that on the SPA-2102 that you have NAT Mapping Enable and NAT Keep Alive Enable both set to no.

That's the way it came. Didn't know better. Should I change something here?

hardly
Premium
join:2004-02-10
USA

The curious part is that it is set to yes on your other Linksys/Cisco devices.

rblizz

North Richland Hills, TX
Reviews:
·Callcentric

said by hardly:

The curious part is that it is set to yes on your other Linksys/Cisco devices.

Wait a minute, this might be because I'm not using the SPA2102 for a router. Would this be something that would be required to shut that off?

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

4 edits
reply to rblizz

said by rblizz:

said by hardly:

It seems curious to me that on the SPA-2102 that you have NAT Mapping Enable and NAT Keep Alive Enable both set to 'NO'.

That's the way it came. Didn't know better. Should I change something here?

I just got back and see all of your screenshots - Will examine and then comment further.

But for now, I would have expected the 2 NAT parameters to be Enabled, as CC specifically asked for that in the PAP2T tutorial »www.callcentric.com/support/devi···sys/pap2 , at Step 14.

BTW, does the SPA1001 have a router in it, like the SPA2102 does ?

UPDATE 1 : A quick exam of the pictures now suggests that there is NOT a router in the SPA1001.

UPDATE 2 : I note that you have updated your screenshot of the SPA2102 to turn ON the NAT functions (as you posted below) and that you said that it seems to work fine either way.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!
reply to verix

said by verix:

For something more like the SPA2102, CC does have the SPA3102 listed, which might be closer in functionality to the 2102 than the PAP2T would be, as the 2102 and 3102 each include a router (though have other differences).

The full list of CC device setup guides is here :
»www.callcentric.com/support/device/

rblizz

North Richland Hills, TX
Reviews:
·Callcentric
reply to Davesnothere

said by Davesnothere:

I just got back and see all of your screenshots - Will examine and then comment further.

But for now, I would have expected the 2 NAT parameters to be Enabled, as CC specifically asked for that in the PAP2T tutorial »www.callcentric.com/support/devi···sys/pap2 , at Step 14.

BTW, does the SPA1001 have a router in it, like the SPA2102 does ?

No, the SPA1001 is like the PAP2(T) -- except it has two lines on one port.

I've enabled the NAT settings in the SPA2102 and replaced the screenshot with a new one reflecting the change. I have no idea how those got turned off -- maybe I thought I was supposed to do it when I set the SPA2102 into Bridge Mode.

If you see any other changes I should make, let me know. The thing has been working pretty well, however.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

1 edit

said by rblizz:

No, the SPA1001 is like the PAP2(T) -- except it has two lines on one port.

I've enabled the NAT settings in the SPA2102 and replaced the screenshot with a new one reflecting the change. I have no idea how those got turned off -- maybe I thought I was supposed to do it when I set the SPA2102 into Bridge Mode.

If you see any other changes I should make, let me know. The thing has been working pretty well, however.

Good that it's behaving.

So is the SPA1001 more like any of the OBI models in features & functions ?

And I'm not sure how much difference that the NAT settings SHOULD make, especially with folks using DNS-SRV, where some things (like the SIP Port number) seem to become automatic from CC's end.

The NAT settings may matter only when the PAP2T/SPA1001 is a client of certain routers but not others. - Not sure.

= = = = = = = = =

I also noticed that CallCentric has pages for a couple of the OBI ATAs, and one for the newer Cisco/Linksys SPA112/SPA122.

There is also a 'Generic' page for other Cisco/Linksys models.
»www.callcentric.com/support/devi···d_sipura

AND, CallCentric has noted that Linksys bought Sipura, but no mention that Cisco later bought Linksys.

Hmmmm....

Sly
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Chuckey, TN
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Callcentric
reply to Davesnothere

SPA-2102

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Here's what works for me on the SPA-2102.

rblizz

North Richland Hills, TX
Reviews:
·Callcentric
reply to Davesnothere

said by Davesnothere:

Yep. It originally only had one line to go with one port, but they added the second line with new firmware at some point. I've read that some people flash their PAP2(T)s with SPA1001 firmware, which kills one port, but gives them two lines on the one that survives. I can see the advantage, but I think I would just buy an SPA1001 if that's what I wanted.

said by Davesnothere:

I think I normally use the Generic Sipura instructions. (Apparently I forget NAT step from time to time, however.)

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

1 edit

said by rblizz:

said by Davesnothere:

Yep. It originally only had one line to go with one port, but they added the second line with new firmware at some point. I've read that some people flash their PAP2(T)s with SPA1001 firmware, which kills one port, but gives them two lines on the one that survives. I can see the advantage, but I think I would just buy an SPA1001 if that's what I wanted.

said by Davesnothere:

I think I normally use the Generic Sipura instructions. (Apparently I forget NAT step from time to time, however.)

Yes, I had heard of that ALT FW flash for the PAP2T, but had never investigated, as I use 2 phones on 2 ports anyway, and it has gotten that ordinary phones are almost free these days.

And did you notice that the CC generic instructions page seems only to point to some of CC's other pages.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

Another factor which would likely matter with the SPA2102 and SPA3102 (and any other ATAs which contain a router) would be whether or not you have this internal router enabled (and whether or not you NEEDED to), and where you have the SPA connected - on the LAN side of your main router (like any other computer), or on the WAN side of your main router (which has been known to limit overall speed of your Internet Downstream channel.

And generally, if you have the internal router of one of these ATAs enabled when there also is another (your main) router in the path of some or all of your data, it can cause a variety of negative issues.

I originally chose the PAP2T over the others to reduce the chances of such problems, and of problems overall.

--

We have only 2 things about which to worry :
(1) That things may never get back to normal
(2) That they already HAVE !
-
START Forum »Start Communications
Or you can still use Canadian Broadband.

Sly
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Chuckey, TN
kudos:1

I have my SPA-2102 behind my router in the LAN. Agreed, I didn't want it to act as my router because it would slow everything else down. I don't use the routing functions of the 2102 at all...

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

said by Sly:

I have my SPA-2102 behind my router in the LAN. Agreed, I didn't want it to act as my router because it would slow everything else down. I don't use the routing functions of the 2102 at all...

Apparently, one of the major reasons for the design of the 2102 & 3102 was so that you could put it on the WAN side of another (your main) router and use some QoS functions which these 2 beasts are supposed to have.

In those days, few consumer routers had any QoS in them, where many have some today, and ALT firmware such as Tomato & DD-WRT allow many other older Linksys routers such as mine (WRT54GL) to do QoS, rather than buying again so soon.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!
reply to Davesnothere

Click for full size
(PAP2T - ALT of Line 2 Page for 'Proxy Redundancy Method' setting.jpg)

Does anyone know what THIS setting (in most Linksys/Cisco ATAs) is supposed to do ? (and under what circumstances ?)

I've put a thin RED box around it.

rblizz

North Richland Hills, TX
Reviews:
·Callcentric

2 edits

I'm not knowledgeable enough to know what this means, but here's the explanation from the Linksys Administrator Manual.

quote:
SIP Proxy Redundancy

In typical commercial IP Telephony deployments, all calls are established through a SIP proxy server. An average SIP proxy server may handle tens of thousands of subscribers. It is important that a backup server be available so that an active server can be temporarily switched out for maintenance. The Linksys ATA supports the use of backup SIP proxy servers so that service disruption should be nearly eliminated.

A relatively simple way to support proxy redundancy is to configure a static list of SIP proxy servers to the Linksys ATA in its configuration profile where the list is arranged in some order of priority. The Linksys ATA attempts to contact the highest priority proxy server whenever possible. When the currently selected proxy server is not responding, the Linksys ATA automatically retries the next proxy server in the list.

The dynamic nature of SIP message routing makes the use of a static list of proxy servers inadequate in some scenarios. In deployments where user agents are served by different domains it is not feasible to configure a static list of proxy servers for each domain.

One solution in this situation is through the use of DNS SRV records. The Linksys ATA can be instructed to contact a SIP proxy server in a domain named in the SIP message. The Linksys ATA consults the DNS server to get a list of hosts in the given domain that provides SIP services. If an entry exists, the DNS server returns an SRV record that contains a list of SIP proxy servers for the domain, with their host names, priority, listening ports, and so on. The Linksys ATA tries to contact the list of hosts in the order of their stated priority.

If the Linksys ATA is currently using a lower priority proxy server, it periodically probes the higher priority proxy to see whether it is back on line, and switches back to the higher priority proxy when possible.
»www.groundcontrol.com/Satellite_···uide.pdf

EDIT: I think I printed the "obvious" stuff above. (Not obvious to me, but nothing is obvious to me.) Here's specifically what the Proxy Redundancy Method sets (also from the manual).

quote:
Proxy Redundancy Method

PAP2T will make an internal list of proxies returned in DNS SRV records. In normal mode, this list will contain proxies ranked by weight and priority.

if Based on SRV port is configured the PAP2T does normal first, and also inspect the port number based on 1st proxy’s port on the list.

The default is Normal.

rblizz

North Richland Hills, TX
Reviews:
·Callcentric

2 edits
reply to Sly

said by Sly:

I don't either (nor does my brother). But my Dad uses his for a router (even though his DSL Modem/router/switch is also available). When I tested SPA2102s as routers on my home system, I found that they were steady, but topped out at 7 Mbs. Since I have a higher speed Internet connection than that, I wouldn't use it as a router (not that I had any need to anyhow), so I put my SPA2102 in "Bridge Mode" (which essentially turns it into a PAP2T). My Dad's DSL Internet speed is no more than 4 Mbs so he doesn't see any degradation in speed. I told him he could plug the computer directly into the router, but he figures he has more protection by having two routers between him and the outside world. His phone and computer both work fine, so there's no harm it leaving it set up that way.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

said by rblizz:

said by Sly:

I don't either (nor does my brother). But my Dad uses his for a router (even though his DSL Modem/router/switch is also available). When I tested SPA2102s as routers on my home system, I found that they were steady, but topped out at 7 Mbs. Since I have a higher speed Internet connection than that, I wouldn't use it as a router (not that I had any need to anyhow), so I put my SPA2102 in "Bridge Mode" (which essentially turns it into a PAP2T).

[However,] my Dad's DSL Internet speed is no more than 4 Mbs so he doesn't see any degradation in speed. I told him he could plug the computer directly into the router, but he figures he has more protection by having two routers between him and the outside world. His phone and computer both work fine, so there's no harm it leaving it set up that way.

I agree with everything you said there, and your reasons.

As for the dual routers deal - if you were able to make it work, K00L.

But if your Dad ever wants to do anything which needs 'Port Forwarding', such as some p2p apps, then things could get very spaghetti-like in figuring out how, when multiple routers are nested like that.

rblizz

North Richland Hills, TX
Reviews:
·Callcentric

said by Davesnothere:

As for the dual routers deal - if you were able to make it work, K00L.

But if your Dad ever wants to do anything which needs 'Port Forwarding', such as some p2p apps, then things could get very spaghetti-like in figuring out how, when multiple routers are nested like that.

I don't think that's going to be an issue with him. Up until about six or seven months ago he was using EarthLink dial-up, but they dropped their local number and "generously" offered him an $8 an hour 800 number to login. He does like high-speed Internet and his CallCentric phone.

I did explain to him, if it ever becomes an issue, just unplug your computer from the SPA2102 and plug it directly into the modem, which I had him test when he first installed DSL. He's actually pretty good at this stuff, especially considering that he's nearly 80 years old.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!
reply to Davesnothere

Re: CallCentric Linksys ATA Screenshots

I changed the name of this thread to something more clear (I think), and also tidied up the wording of the first post.