AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
kudos:1
reply to dolphins

Re: How to block google-analytics

unless no-script blocks image loading, you can still be tracked.
--
--Standard disclaimers apply.--

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC
kudos:17
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
reply to MagnusM
See: »Spybot & Adaware still good to use?

Under Win 7 with MVPS Hosts I leave my DNS Client on automatic but flush my DNS every once in a while.

If you've got bags on RAM, the days of disabled DNS in order not to slow your Browser are generally over.

Hosts files with too many parked entries will choke your machine.

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17
kudos:2
reply to AVD
said by AVD:

said by OZO:

The list is quite big, because unfortunately Windows hosts file doesn't support wildcard '*' and, therefore, each host name should be listed separately there.

technically, does *any* HOSTS file "support wildcards"?

Technically they don't. And usual explanation is - they were not designed to block name resolutions in the first place. But if they did support of '*', blocking name resolutions would be much more efficient. If you look at examples of HOSTS files usually they contain many lines referring to one domain, but specifying each and every host within that domain, one by one. If HOSTS files supported '*', many of those lines could be substituted with just one line. E.g.:
127.0.0.1 *.google-analytics.com.
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...

dolphins
Clean Up Our Oceans
Premium
join:2001-08-22
Westville, NJ
kudos:7
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to AVD
said by AVD:

unless no-script blocks image loading, you can still be tracked.

Yes, it does block images. It can cripple a website to the point of it being a blank page. I find it especially useful with sites that have a seemingly endless list of hotlinks.

--
Stop The Mindless Killings Stop Over Fishing

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC
kudos:2
I also use AdBlockPlus in conjunction with NoScript. It's very effective.
--
I'm not anti-social, I just don't like stupid people.

siljaline
Premium
Montreal, QC

1 edit
Adversity and Antisocial for ABP gives issues for heavy Facebook users.
»adversity.uk.to/
Elsewhere, it's excellent.

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:13
reply to OZO

quote:
The list is quite big, because unfortunately Windows hosts file doesn't support wildcard '*' and, therefore, each host name should be listed separately there.
I have always noticed that buddy,why is that?? -- Is it too hard for windows to deal with 0 " *.google.com "

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
said by Dude111:

quote:
I have always noticed that buddy,why is that?? -- Is it too hard for windows to deal with 0 " *.google.com "

That has been repeatedly answered in just about any thread that discusses using a hosts file for "blocking" instead of its intended purpose. The standard that defines the hosts file does not provide for wildcard entries, and neither Microsoft or Windows has anything to do with that standard (other than an obligation to comply with the standard). I suspect that if MS did decide to make their own proprietary rules for the hosts file, they would be instantly lambasted for trying to corrupt a known and accepted standard.
--
We can never have enough of nature.
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.
Expand your moderator at work

Traxless
Premium
join:2005-02-16
USA
reply to wolfi

This site might help.

»ie.microsoft.com/testdrive/browser/p3p/

ttyl

Name Game
Premium
join:2002-07-07
Grand Rapids, MI

1 edit
reply to OZO
Click for full size
said by OZO:

Keep in mind, that if you run a browser, made by Google (e.g. latest versions of Chromium), it will connect to Google analytic servers even if you block them with your hosts file.

They use directly hardcoded IP addresses (no name resolution needed). Moreover, to make the blocking harder, they require to use some of those servers to sign in into Google online accounts too... So, if you block those IP with firewall on your router, you'll not be able to sign in to your accounts. Bastards... :(
Need an example? Here it is - 74.125.129.106. Try to block it and then sign in.

BTW, to add extra confusion they assign different direct and reverse name resolutions (watch for 74.125.129.106):

D:\>nslookup 
Name:    google-analytics.com
Addresses:  74.125.129.106, 74.125.129.105, 74.125.129.147, 74.125.129.99
          74.125.129.104, 74.125.129.103 

Then check the 74.125.129.106 IP for it's name:
D:\>nslookup 74.125.129.106
Name:    pd-in-f106.1e100.net
Address:  74.125.129.106

And this time the IP comes with a different name - pd-in-f106.1e100.net

That's why if you want to block analytics servers from unsolicited tracking connections you have to make your own special build and remove those hardcoded IP's (quite big subset actually) directly from the browser or simply use Iron browser instead of Chromium/Chrome...

I run google chrome..never log into any google account stuff. I block google-analytics.com and more with hosts file..and net monitor never comes up with those "hardcoded IP's" you mentioned. Where do you see that..or better yet tell me how I could.

BTW that IP if you put it in your browser goes to the google search page

@12:46PM on 9/21/2012 to www.google.com

Reply from 74.125.129.106: bytes=32 time=36ms TTL=46
Reply from 74.125.129.106: bytes=32 time=41ms TTL=46
Reply from 74.125.129.106: bytes=32 time=37ms TTL=46

--
Gladiator Security Forum
»www.gladiator-antivirus.com/

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
join:2003-03-25
Look Outside
reply to wolfi
In Soviet Russia, Google blocks you.

siljaline
Premium
Montreal, QC
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico

1 recommendation

Google and other social networking sites are fully blocked in many EMEA countries by virtue of those countries not wanting the population to use those tools in lieu of state-sponsored sites such as Baidu.

mmainprize

join:2001-12-06
Houghton Lake, MI
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to wolfi
I run Firefox with Noscript, SharMeNot, and Ghostery. This will block most Google tracking without needing to edit the HOST file.

You can easily control what sites it blocks them on, so if you need it to work on a site you can allow it, only that site and block them on all others.

Links
»www.ghostery.com/
»sharemenot.cs.washington.edu/
»noscript.net/

Mannus
Premium
join:2005-10-25
Fort Wayne, IN
reply to wolfi
I run Ghostery and NoScript in Palemoon X64. I also run Peerblock for what it's worth.

Name Game
Premium
join:2002-07-07
Grand Rapids, MI
reply to wolfi

For Google Analytics, Google introduced asynchronous JavaScript code in December 2009 to reduce the risk of slowing the loading of pages tagged with the ga.js scrip

Due to its ubiquity, Google Analytics raises some privacy concerns. Whenever someone visits a website that uses Google Analytics, if Javascript is enabled in the browser then Google tracks that visit via the user's IP address in order to determine the user's approximate geographic location. (To meet German legal requirements, Google Analytics can anonymize the IP address.[23])
Note that the opt-in Google Account privacy policy[24] is quite different from the Google privacy policies as applied to Google AdWords, or the terms of service for users of Google Analytics—which forbid the storing of PII (Personally-Identifiable Information).[25][26]
If a website visitor uses a Google Account as ID when entering a comment or uploading to a Google property such as Blogger or YouTube, then Google receives sufficient information to identify the user and thus associate the details of the website visit with that user. Google has announced an updated privacy policy which will allow Google to specifically identify and track users of any website that uses a Google Account, if that user is also a user of any other Google product (Gmail, Picasa, YouTube, BlogSpot,etc.) to which the same privacy policy applies.[24][27][28] Much of this Google Account profile information is optional and private (viewable only by Google) by default, and the user may update or remove it.[29][30] But, as described above, it is against Google's privacy policies and the Google Analytics Terms of Service to store personally-identifiable information without a user's consent—though some people claim otherwise.[31]
Google has also released a browser plugin that turns off data about a page visit being sent to Google.[32][33] Since this plug-in is produced and distributed by Google itself, it has met much discussion and criticism. Furthermore, the realisation of Google scripts tracking user behaviours has spawned the production of multiple, often open-source, browser plug-ins to reject tracking cookies.[34] These plug-ins offer the user a choice, whether to allow Google Analytics (for example) to track his/her activities. However, partially because of new European privacy laws, most modern browsers allow users to reject tracking cookies, though Flash cookies can be a separate problem again.
It has been anecdotally reported that behind proxy servers and multiple firewalls that errors can occur changing time stamps and registering invalid searches.[35]
Webmasters who seek to mitigate Google Analytics specific privacy issues can employ a number of alternatives having their backends hosted on their own machines. Until its discontinuation, an example of such a product was Urchin WebAnalytics Software from Google itself.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Analytics
--
Gladiator Security Forum
»www.gladiator-antivirus.com/

Wildcatboy
Invisible
Premium,Mod
join:2000-10-30
Toronto, ON
kudos:3

1 edit
reply to wolfi

(topic move) How to block google-analytics

Moderator Action
The post that was here (and all 42 followups to it), has been removed from this thread.

grega711

join:2011-09-21
thailand
reply to wolfi

Wow! Spybot Search and Destroy (Innoculate/Tea Timer, I think) had added *thousands* of entries into my hosts file. And Firefox was running very poorly.

I've now deleted those entries from my hosts file and added Ghostery, Adblock+, NoScript, and Sharemenot. Didn't know those little Twitter/Facebook etc share buttons were tracking my surfing whether I clicked on them or not. And now Firefox is running *much* faster. Thanks!!!

siljaline
Premium
Montreal, QC
See: »SpyBot Heads UP
For SpyBot's Hosts file chocking your DNS.

grega711

thailand
said by siljaline:

See: »SpyBot Heads UP
For SpyBot's Hosts file chocking your DNS.

Mucho Gracias. Very helpful link.

Didn't know about that setting in Spybot where I could tell it to innoculate but leave hosts alone.

I finally found it and unchecked the box. Spybot Innoculate is still putting around 15,000 entries into Firefox, so I'll see if that slows Firefox down. If it does, I'll undo Innoculate again and then uncheck the Firefox entries, too.

Thanks again --

Bobby_Peru
Premium
join:2003-06-16

3 edits
reply to Juggernaut
said by Juggernaut:

I also use AdBlockPlus in conjunction with NoScript. It's very effective.

Consider also checking out Request Policy ( »www.requestpolicy.com/ »www.requestpolicy.com/privacy.html ). It gives users originating-site-specific-calls black and white listing, including temporary permissions. Plus Ghostery, as others have mentioned.

siljaline
Premium
Montreal, QC
reply to grega711

You're welcome

grega711

thailand
I think maybe I've gone a little overboard with privacy software. I've installed:

Adblocker Plus
NoScript
ShareMeNot and
Ghostery.

Now I'm considering adding RequestPolicy (»www.requestpolicy.com/privacy.html), but I think maybe it would duplicate what these other programs are already doing.

Actually, I'm wondering if I really need all four.

Any comments would be appreciated...

Thanks --