uniqs
share rss forum feed
Expand your moderator at work

grega711

join:2011-09-21
thailand
reply to wolfi

Re: How to block google-analytics

Wow! Spybot Search and Destroy (Innoculate/Tea Timer, I think) had added *thousands* of entries into my hosts file. And Firefox was running very poorly.

I've now deleted those entries from my hosts file and added Ghostery, Adblock+, NoScript, and Sharemenot. Didn't know those little Twitter/Facebook etc share buttons were tracking my surfing whether I clicked on them or not. And now Firefox is running *much* faster. Thanks!!!

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC
kudos:17

See: »SpyBot Heads UP
For SpyBot's Hosts file chocking your DNS.

grega711

thailand

said by siljaline:

See: »SpyBot Heads UP
For SpyBot's Hosts file chocking your DNS.

Mucho Gracias. Very helpful link.

Didn't know about that setting in Spybot where I could tell it to innoculate but leave hosts alone.

I finally found it and unchecked the box. Spybot Innoculate is still putting around 15,000 entries into Firefox, so I'll see if that slows Firefox down. If it does, I'll undo Innoculate again and then uncheck the Firefox entries, too.

Thanks again --

Bobby_Peru
Premium
join:2003-06-16

3 edits
reply to Juggernaut

said by Juggernaut:

I also use AdBlockPlus in conjunction with NoScript. It's very effective.

Consider also checking out Request Policy ( »www.requestpolicy.com/ »www.requestpolicy.com/privacy.html ). It gives users originating-site-specific-calls black and white listing, including temporary permissions. Plus Ghostery, as others have mentioned.
Expand your moderator at work

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC
kudos:17
reply to grega711

You're welcome

grega711

thailand

I think maybe I've gone a little overboard with privacy software. I've installed:

Adblocker Plus
NoScript
ShareMeNot and
Ghostery.

Now I'm considering adding RequestPolicy (»www.requestpolicy.com/privacy.html), but I think maybe it would duplicate what these other programs are already doing.

Actually, I'm wondering if I really need all four.

Any comments would be appreciated...

Thanks --

Buddel
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Premium
join:2004-03-06
EU
kudos:3
reply to wolfi

I use my HOSTS file and Ghostery. This should be enough to block google-analytics.

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:12
reply to grega711

quote:
I think maybe I've gone a little overboard with privacy software.
Nothing wrong with wanting to protect yourself bud

Bobby_Peru
Premium
join:2003-06-16

2 edits
reply to grega711

said by grega711:

I think maybe I've gone a little overboard with privacy software. I've installed:

Adblocker Plus
NoScript
ShareMeNot and
Ghostery.

Now I'm considering adding RequestPolicy (»www.requestpolicy.com/privacy.html), but I think maybe it would duplicate what these other programs are already doing.

Actually, I'm wondering if I really need all four.

Any comments would be appreciated...

Thanks --

Speaking strictly as a non-expert, there is overlap, and extra work involved in getting some/many sites to function as you want*, and the trade-off is a personal choice.

I am not familiar with ShareMeNot, and it's benefits may well be available with the other mentioned extensions.

For RequestPolicy and NoScript:
»www.requestpolicy.com/faq.html#faq-noscript

What is great about RP, is that it allows you to Whitelist, or Blacklist calls FROM specific sites TO specific sites. NoScript allows for the Whitelisting/Blacklisting of the call TO specific sites, but not FROM specific sites. With RP, you can make exceptions for BOTH the sites which the calls are FROM, AND for the sites TO which the calls are made. Example: Photobucket is allowed only at the three sites that you frequent that you want the images, but not at any and all of the rest of the sites that you might just happen to check out that have a photobucket hosted image.

Consider running RP, with it's "Request Log" selected at the bottom of your browser window for a few days, as an easy way to see just how prevalent this third-party cross-web tracking really is. Google (and others) is (almost) everywhere!

As these extensions continue to be improved, the overlap will probably become greater, and so, like you mention, the "need" all of them would decrease. For this user, for now, AbP, NS, Ghostery and RP, are all running.

Here's a thread that might be of some use in your deciding what to run:
»Ghostery not blocking Taboola..

* Now if I could just figure out how to view ComedyCentral/MTV hosted video content, and one or two other sites.... , all would be golden...

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
reply to grega711

Have you installed Google Sharing? That one is very important to stop Google from amassing a file on you when you use its search engine. Google Sharing will work on both Fx and Sea Monkey.

»addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox···c=search

I found RequestPolicy very difficult to use and did not keep it. I have installed NoScript two times and, again, it is extremely irritating to use and almost all webpages are messed up by it. I probably will uninstall it again. Its GUI is terrible...it is very difficult to read ....italicized grayish font list. Should be regular font, black and bolded for easy and quick reading.

I think the Proxomitron is far better to use. I use, and love, Ghostery but I detest the new GUI...very cumbersome to use and takes three times the number of clicks that the classic GUI takes. Lots of complaints about the new GUI in Ghostery's forum.

ShareMeNot won't work on Fx4 or 10 ESR so I can't try it. But I just block Facebook and Twitter via the hosts file. I don't need the buttons at all because I would never go to either site.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson