Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

matt8911test
Premium
join:2011-11-12
Riverside, CA

Help me get infor on SmartRiverside ISP or others - IE area

First of all thank you if you are trying to help me in this post. Also want to say I do not know how to fully use the features of this site like Quoting members etc.
Also Dslreports has disconected me several times due to the changing Address from SmartRiverside and sometimes low signal or busyness of the transmitter etc. I have to save texts of my posts also due them getting lost in disconnects with my current setup (USB NIC zipped to a aluminum Pie pan - dont laugh it works pretty good).

My basic question is starting to use SmartRiverside as a ISP for someone on a low budget. Is it a usable product? Anyone have experience after purcasing the Modem from USInternet for 130.00 Should I also consider other options like Version Wireless mobile hotspot? or other product from Version wireless?
Please do not talk about DSL from ATT in this post as I have been cut off due to U-Verse being installed in the house on another renters account (one account allowed per household). DSL Extreme is also out of the question as well. Cable is OK but due to costs I am looking around and getting prices - opinions regarding services avalable.

I have been through quite a bit in trying to resolve getting a new ISP due to various problems at home and they are illustrated in the posts foum here »U-Verse knocks out DSL service

wirelessdog

join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD
kudos:1

If cable is available that is your best bet. I can't imagine a Verizon MiFi even through Millenicom or directly would be less money.

matt8911test
Premium
Riverside, CA

1 edit
reply to matt8911test

Just so you guys know I am opposed to DSL service at this time due to the ongoing conflict with U-verse service at the house.
The only options i see now are Municipal wireless and cable maybe or other wireless services that i have become aware of like i have found on these forums- more later.
So what about SmartRiverside 's free wireless service? any comments on that? I can connect with a USB NIC at the moment and can tell of any required info as i saw in the sticky at the head of forums.
I can order a modem and maybe antenna for 130.00 and no fees after that AFAIK......comments?
thanks.

wirelessdog

join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD
kudos:1
reply to matt8911test

If it is working now what is the issue?

matt8911test
Premium
Riverside, CA

4 edits
reply to matt8911test

The connection is not dependable in this setup all day, only in the morning. I lose words that I type if I do not save everything to texts

Also I am inquiring about other wireless services that may be options for me.

Update: now at home with a good connection in the morning here is the 5 questions answered
1 WISP's name SmartRiverside (USInternet)
2 not sure is they claimed any regular speeds but Netgear is reporting 5.5 - 11Mbps with a good conntion (mornings mostly)
3 Currently using a Netgear USB NIC model# WNA3100 and reccomended hw is Nanostation Loco and the Nanostaion II for long distance access. There may be an outdoor antenna available, but I am not sure. I have a aluminum pie pan backing up the receiver for better signal.
4 One - Two blocks from the Router on the pole.
5 IEEE 802.11 b/g/n (2.4GHz)
6 Not sure of dbi?
7 issues are at night mostly (high traffic times) sometime is afternoon. I get disconnected or can not connect.
Additional thoughts...Why would turning off the firewall help me obtain a IP address quicker???? Is there some port I need to open for DHCP? Or other reason the firewall needs to be off?? Usually on wired connections you want the firewall on to protect the PC. Maybe, I will just re-enable the firewall once IP is optained.....

Is there some magic potion that helps me get more replies in this forum? I noticed there are quite a few views and no one posting...
What do I need to put in my post to get more replies, save pics of naked women?

Thanks