DownTheShore
Pray for Ukraine
Premium Member
join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ

4 recommendations

DownTheShore

Premium Member

Afraid Of Hosting An Artify Or Creative Expressions Thread?

If so, then there's no reason to be.

While those of us who enjoy playing in those threads like to work on images actually taken by the hosts, there's no requirement in either thread that you have to provide images you've taken yourself. So it really doesn't matter if you haven't taken any pictures recently, or even if you don't have a camera - neither of those reasons prevents participation either as a host or as one of the Artifiers or CE'ers.

I haven't been taking many pictures on my own, so for the last year or two I've been using free stock images from a number of sites. It only takes a few minutes to pick out some images and voilĂ ! you've created joy and happiness for both the participants and the viewers - and, dare I say it, a little bit of peace in the world. What could be better than that?

Remember, too, that even though you are the host of the thread, there's no requirement for you to participate in the actual work on the images if you don't have the time or aren't inclined to for whatever reason. We've had a lot of hosts who have just been kind enough to post images for everyone to work on.

For those of you who may not be aware of the sites, here are some that I use:

TurboPhoto: »www.turbophoto.com/Free- ··· -Images/

stock.xchng: »www.sxc.hu/home

PhotoRack: »photorack.net/index.php

stockvault: »www.stockvault.net/

So the next time Hank (for the Artify thread) or one of the CE participants sends you a PM asking if you'd be willing to host, please don't brush it off. If you can spare a few minutes to help out, it would be greatly appreciated and will continue the great community spirit of this forum!

Chuck22
Premium Member
join:2003-11-10
Salt Lake City, UT

1 recommendation

Chuck22

Premium Member

^^^ What she said ^^^
As someone who is able only infrequently to do any shooting, I too have had to rely on public domain images many times. It certainly has not dampened any enthusiasm for participating or enjoying either the Artify or Creative Expression threads!

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium Member
join:2005-03-01
Polar Park

1 edit

3 recommendations

vaxvms to DownTheShore

Premium Member

to DownTheShore
For Artify and Creative Expressions the photos posted don't need to be fancy. The purpose is for participants to be creative with what you're given. Sometimes the simplest photos make the best creative canvas. Got any camera? »Post a photo of something you ate today to Artify or CE when you're the host..

orion940
Attractive like a magnet
Premium Member
join:2001-12-23
Windsor, CT

orion940 to DownTheShore

Premium Member

to DownTheShore
What creative expressions thread?

O.

dandelion
MVM
join:2003-04-29
Germantown, TN

dandelion

MVM

said by orion940:

O.

CE is in the A&G forum »Graphics and anyone is welcome.

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium Member
join:2005-03-01
Polar Park

1 recommendation

vaxvms

Premium Member

said by dandelion:

CE is in the A&G forum »Graphics and anyone everyone is welcome.

DownTheShore
Pray for Ukraine
Premium Member
join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ

1 edit

DownTheShore to orion940

Premium Member

to orion940
said by orion940:

O.

The Digital Imaging forum has two separate threads each week in which a host posts a selection of images that are available for anyone to play around with. Anything can be done with them (as long as it is kept to a PG-13 rating ). You can try to create artwork with the images, insert bits and pieces into them or insert bits and pieces from them into other images, you can turn them into humorous images, you can practice your editing skills on them or learn editing skills on them, you can use them to try out the functions of various imaging/editing software. It's also a great place to find out how to achieve certain effects because the folks in both threads are happy to explain how they achieved certain looks and what they used to do it.

You don't have to be any kind of pro to participate. Most of us who do play there had zero to little experience with photo-editing before. I know that I was a complete neophyte when it came to that, and I'm constantly learning all the time from seeing what others are able to do.

It's also very relaxing and an easy way of letting your creative side free. We don't always have time or the physical space to pursue a hobby that might interest us. Fooling around with images, though, just takes you, your computer, and a software program. It's totally self-contained - no muss, no fuss - and yet you're able to let your imagination free.

It's great fun.

For example, I often like to try to turn the image into some kind of artwork:

NIKON E5700
67mm 1/350th F5.3 ISO100

Original Image

My CE interpretation

Or I'll do something humorous with it:

Original

My CE interpretion - apologies to Klimt