spc
Search similar:

uniqs
me1212
join:2008-11-20
Lees Summit, MO
·Google Fiber

me1212

nvidia fxaa + adaptive v-ync on 24/7, good or bad?

Finally got around to updating my gpu drivers for the first time since april, looked through the nvidia control panel and found that fxaa and adaptive vsync(something I thought was only on 600 series gpus but apparently it isn't since my 460 can do it) can be forced on for all games 24/7.

Is there any downside to that? I looked at Nvidia's website and found some screen shots of fxaa( »www.geforce.com/whats-ne ··· eleased/ ) it looks really nice for portal 2 and dungeon defenders. However, lots of games are not made to work with fxaa, would having it on 24/7 cause problems?

Similar question for adaptive vsync, would that cause any problems setting the global settings to use that and just turning off in game old fashioned vsync?

TRU
join:2005-07-21
Michigan

TRU

They are not bad things to just leave ON permanently. As long they don't kill or adversely affect your fps in a big way, like going from 60fps to 20fps. A 460 is on the low end these days, so enabling a "new" feature like FXAA might cripple lower end GPU's. If you're not noticing a big hit to your fps having it on, you should leave it on then. Definitely makes things look better being ON.

Theoretically, adaptive v-sync makes sense and should be an improvement. But that is theoretically. It's suppose to be less harsh to fps than just the older v-sync option, but I'm not sure if it works in theory as it is suppose to. I haven't read or tested for myself on it's real world implications.

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
join:2009-01-07
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone to me1212

Premium Member

to me1212
The best performance I get is with FXAA turned off, and VSync on the Nvidia control panel set to "Let The 3D Application Decide"

I adjust all the settings in game, and it runs and looks awesome.

If I turn FXAA on and set Vsync to "Adpative", it runs crappy and looks like shit with all the screen tearing.

Cthen
Premium Member
join:2004-08-01
Detroit, MI

Cthen

Premium Member

I found that to be true of both Nvidia and Ati cards both that the best performance I get is setting the drivers to "Let the application decide" and adjust the settings of each game instead.

Not all games are created equal so it made sense performance wise to adjust each game as needed rather than having the drivers force the same settings on every game.
me1212
join:2008-11-20
Lees Summit, MO

me1212

Okay, I'll just try them on a game by game basis then. Thanks all.