Premium
join:2002-08-06
Boothbay, ME
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

[DIRECTV] Very slow remote

I have the DirecTV HR24.
I have had it for just over 1 year. (Installed August 2011) and it has be exceptionally good working.
However, over the last week or so. I have become frustrated by the remote control. Namely, how slow the receiver responds to it. Ie: I want to change a channel. I type 246. It gets the first number, but not the rest so I get no change. (Channel does not exist.)
When I open Menu, and navigate, there is about a 10 second delay from my request, to the receiver responding. Ditto with using the channel up/down button.
It is very annoying. Especially since I push the button again since I get no response the first time, eventually the receiver gets really confused and either does nothing or does everything all at once.
I have tried a reset. (Push red button in card slot) but it didn't help.
Any ideas from you guys before I through my remote out the window?

BuckarooB
Beware Lectroids from PlanetX
Premium
join:2001-10-27
Cloverdale, VA

you tried new batteries?

sfogliatelle
We Is Whut We Am
Premium
join:2002-05-29
Baton Rouge, LA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to Dominokat

I experienced similar sluggish performance while attempting to access "List" with the same receiver as you. After changing the batteries (to no avail) I went on to their support forums and here's what worked for me:

Clear NVRAM to speed up DVR performance:

Go to channel 1. Once the page is operating including audio, use the remote and press Red, Red, Blue, Blue, Yellow, Green in exactly that order. This must be done quickly. Otherwise the yellow press will bring up a quick options menu. That will display a message about the NVRAM being cleared in the lower left. Turn "Scrolling Effects" to off. This is in the Display-->Preferences menu. Uncheck all of the resolutions under HDTV in the TV Resolutions menu except 720p or 1080i and 1080p, depending on whether you have a 720/768 or 1080 TV or turn Native off

Storm97
Premium
join:2003-04-14
Evanston, WY
reply to Dominokat

Also, do you know if the remote was setup over RF or IR? I experience similar issues over RF at times, at random times, and random intervals.
--
Words of advice for today... "Be Happy, Drink Coffee, Drive Safe!"

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium
Boothbay, ME
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

said by Storm97:

Also, do you know if the remote was setup over RF or IR? I experience similar issues over RF at times, at random times, and random intervals.

It's set for IR.

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium
Boothbay, ME
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to sfogliatelle

said by sfogliatelle:

I experienced similar sluggish performance while attempting to access "List" with the same receiver as you. After changing the batteries (to no avail) I went on to their support forums and here's what worked for me:

Go to channel 1. Once the page is operating including audio, use the remote and press Red, Red, Blue, Blue, Yellow, Green in exactly that order. This must be done quickly. Otherwise the yellow press will bring up a quick options menu. That will display a message about the NVRAM being cleared in the lower left. Turn "Scrolling Effects" to off. This is in the Display-->Preferences menu. Uncheck all of the resolutions under HDTV in the TV Resolutions menu except 720p or 1080i and 1080p, depending on whether you have a 720/768 or 1080 TV or turn Native off

Thanks, I will try this.

westdc

join:2009-01-25
Amissville, VA
kudos:1

It also helps while doing that to hold one hand over your head and wave it in a circle

INtheKnow

@charter.com

fluorescent lights can interfere with IR remotes

Irish Shark
Play Like A Champion Today
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-29
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5

said by INtheKnow :

fluorescent lights can interfere with IR remotes

It is not the light; it is the ballast. You want a Magnetically Ballast light and not a Electronically Ballast light.
--
"You can observe a lot by watching". Yogi Berra

Brewsky

@windstream.net

Some TV's out there with a "light" sensor ....where the tv adjusts brightness depending on the amount of light coming into the room...this feature can cause some sluggish responses on remote....either turn this feature off on the tv or switch remote to RF

Nuckfuts
Premium
join:2003-10-18
Joliet, IL
reply to Dominokat

said by sfogliatelle:

This has always helped me when my HR's are sluggish.

DataDoc
My avatar looks like me, if I was 2D.
Premium
join:2000-05-14
Martinsburg, WV
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
reply to Dominokat

Turn off the remote's model id:

"Start by pressing and holding mute first, then select at the same time until the green light on the remote flashes twice, just like any other programming remote step.

Next, press the numbers 9 6 3 and the green light should flash twice again.

Finally, press the "Chan Down" button and the green light should flash twice again.

This disables the model id on the remote, basically meaning the remote doesn't send a sort of verification code of what model of remote it is with each key press that requires the receiver verify it first before processing the command. It just sends the signal straight through, providing faster response time.

Try this and see if it improves the speed at all."

from »forums.directv.com/pe/elementDis···10805304
--
Our people asked for help, and were denied help. Three times they asked and three times were refused. Now they're dead.