Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

mattmag
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois
kudos:3

WNR2000--Something better for high speeds?

Just experienced a significant increase in my available Internet speed, but I have found that my WNR2000 Router seems to be lacking on what it will consistently deliver to the wireless clients.

When connected directly via Ethernet to the WNR2000, I can see around 25 Mbps, but the wireless side will only get to *maybe* 8-10 Mbps, but usually it is much slower, and typically has many stops and starts doing download speed-tests. I'm not seeing that scenario on the wired side.

So---- Is there a better wireless router I should be using that works better with higher speeds, or is this just "the way it is" with wireless? I'm open to suggestions, and thanks!

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
Premium,MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

1 edit

1 recommendation

The Netgear WNDR4500 is a superb wireless router.

If your wireless clients are capable the WNDR4500 will provide excellent bandwidth. The Key is your wireless clients capability to communicate effectively.

Find out which technology your wireless clients are using --- for example are they a, b, G, N.

b clients will slow your wireless network down dramatically for everyone.
a clients will typically provide 15/30 Mbps
G clients will be between 15/35 Mbps
N clients will be between 25/80 Mbps depending on the number of streams they provide and how compliant they may be -- N clients are not typically equal so it depends on which technology is supported and how the technology has been implemented.

Placement of the wireless router plays a HUGE role on performance regardless of which technology is being utilized.

mattmag
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
NW Illinois

Thanks much for the very informative post. What I am not sure is exactly what clients I have here. I will try and figure them all out, and see if I can stop using the b-mode which I believe I do have it set to now.

I have a mix of iPods, xBox, Wii, and about 6 notebook computers. Hopefully none of them depend on "b".

Juke Box
His Word Never Fails
Premium
join:2001-01-29
Proverbs 3

1 recommendation

reply to mattmag

I know, late to the discussion,

But I have the WNDR4500 and get great coverage in a cinder block/stucco home.

mattmag
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
NW Illinois

1 recommendation

reply to mozerd

Thanks for the support---seems like I really won't have to buy a new router, the WNR2000 is doing great once I figured out how to set it!!

I changed the "mode" setting, which is quite generic, from "Up to 145Mbps" which according to the directions, was the "default setting" and would "allow all 11b and 11g and 11n wireless stations", to "Up to 300Mbps". It also notes "up to 145" is the "Neighbor Friendly Mode", so I am guessing it has also increased its transmit power now?

Its flying right along now, speeds in the 15-18Mbps range which is outstanding. Before, the downloads were choppy, and had many hesitations, which are all completely gone now. I'm amazed, actually, that it made such a difference!

I think the "help" page could use some help itself, and explain things the way mozerd See Profile did, which made it obvious that the ability to support "b" devices would negatively impact everything else. I never would have known that before, as I surely thought "up to 145" would be plenty!

Thanks again!

PGHammer

join:2003-06-09
Accokeek, MD
reply to mattmag

The WNDR3700v4 isn't bad, either (if you don't need those N+ speeds) - I picked up one today (replaced a WNR3500v1) and the basic setup was all of seven minutes.

IPv6 NOTE - While the router *does* support IPv6, oddly, it's disabled by default. (The only reason I can see for this is due to some xDSL and cable modems not supporting IPv6; however, my ARRIS WBM-760A doesn't fall into this category, though the SB-5120 it replaced did.) Four clicks later (Advanced Setup->IPv6->Auto Detect->Apply) I'm very much in business - all connections (wired AND wireless) have IPv6, in addition to IPv4, on tap. I'll be giving the wireless side a VERY thorough and proper shakedown tomorrow (this router was initially picked up to support Mom's Samsung smart TV in her bedroom - Internet connectivity primarily, not streaming).

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC
kudos:2
reply to mattmag

Matt, grab the new FW, and you can disable the 20/40 split for wireless. Just got it and it has made a big difference.