All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

robby
@telus.net

robby

Anon

Why can't I get Authorized SMTP on my account?

I want to be able to send email from my email client (not webmail) when I'm not at home on the Telus network. For example at a hotel wifi or Tim Hortons wifi, on a mobile network, etc. I don't want to always be manually changing the smtp server back and forth.

Being able to use Authenticated SMTP would allow me to seamlessly send email no matter what network I'm on, while still confirming me a a legit telus customer.

Chat support said they don't offer Authenticated SMTP. That's rediculous. I know why they don't want to allow outside connection for spam reasons, etc, but if I authenticate then what's the issue?

iPhone allows one to setup secondary/fallback SMTP servers for each email account so my email sending would work at home or outside. My new Android phone has no option for secondary SMTP servers therefore using authenticated SMTP would solve the issue.

I can't be the only one who has this issue?
robby

robby

Anon

Subject title error. Obviously meant Authenticated SMTP.

nss_tech
join:2007-07-29
Edmonton AB

nss_tech to robby

to robby
It's not available. Just do what most smart people do. Use Gmail's SMTP for the authenticated SMTP both at home and away. No need to switch anything and less need for pointless rants when Telus' website clearly does not offer the feature you are looking for as part of the service.
couttsj
join:2010-07-29
Vernon, BC

couttsj to robby

to robby
said by robby :

I can't be the only one who has this issue?

You are not the only one. I have a lifetime email address with PoBox.com which is forwarded to whatever service I am currently subscribed to. It has much better spam protection and offers an authenticated login to their SMTP service. My issue is not that Telus doesn't offer authenticated login, but the fact that their service is painfully slow on outbound mail. Complaints to Telus have so far fallen on deaf ears.

My email Client program does not offer authenticated login, and I have not been able to find an alternative that offers the features that I have grown accustomed to. So I wrote my own email program, and now I can use PoBox.com for outbound email. Even though transit times are much longer to their SMTP server, it ends up more than 10 times faster than the Telus SMTP server.