Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

MagnusM
Premium
join:2001-07-07
reply to wolfi

Re: How to block google-analytics

Even if you use Google Chrome it's still not going to use IP addresses to access Google Analytics. If you have any links to back this up I'd love to see them.

EDIT: Try to access »74.125.129.106/ga.js in Google Chrome -- you will get a 404 error.

--
Mischel Internet Security - Developer of TrojanHunter anti-malware

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17
kudos:2

said by MagnusM:

Even if you use Google Chrome it's still not going to use IP addresses to access Google Analytics. If you have any links to back this up I'd love to see them.

Here is example of first (no any URL provided) start of Chromium browser, Version 24.0.1299.0 (162321):

Tracking connections from Chromium browser

As you can see in this session it makes 5 secure tracking connections and it uses them until I close the browser...

1) Do you know any way to stop them?

2) If I block those names with my hosts file, browser will open those connections anyway. It means one thing - browser doesn't need name resolution to connect to those servers or it uses unknown aliases for them.
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...

MagnusM
Premium
join:2001-07-07

These are connections that Chrome uses for "safe browsing" features, to warn of malicious sites. You can turn this off in Chrome's advanced settings by unchecking "Enable phishing and malware protection".
--
Mischel Internet Security - Developer of TrojanHunter anti-malware

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17
kudos:2

1 edit

No, they're not. The first thing I always do is to un-check that option. The screenshot provided was taken when that option was clear too. Any other ideas?

With other run I may get other, but similar connections. If I resolve those connections and block corresponding IP's with firewall. It will try to connect to different servers. One of them I've mentioned in my earlier post:
IP = 74.125.129.106, which could be referred as google-analytics.com or pd-in-f106.1e100.net.
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...