Sly
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Tennessee

Sly to Davesnothere

Premium Member

to Davesnothere

Re: DNS Screenshots for SPA2102 & CallCentric

I have my SPA-2102 behind my router in the LAN. Agreed, I didn't want it to act as my router because it would slow everything else down. I don't use the routing functions of the 2102 at all...

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by Sly:

I have my SPA-2102 behind my router in the LAN. Agreed, I didn't want it to act as my router because it would slow everything else down. I don't use the routing functions of the 2102 at all...

Apparently, one of the major reasons for the design of the 2102 & 3102 was so that you could put it on the WAN side of another (your main) router and use some QoS functions which these 2 beasts are supposed to have.

In those days, few consumer routers had any QoS in them, where many have some today, and ALT firmware such as Tomato & DD-WRT allow many other older Linksys routers such as mine (WRT54GL) to do QoS, rather than buying again so soon.
rblizz
join:2001-12-16
North Richland Hills, TX

2 edits

rblizz to Sly

to Sly
said by Sly:

I don't either (nor does my brother). But my Dad uses his for a router (even though his DSL Modem/router/switch is also available). When I tested SPA2102s as routers on my home system, I found that they were steady, but topped out at 7 Mbs. Since I have a higher speed Internet connection than that, I wouldn't use it as a router (not that I had any need to anyhow), so I put my SPA2102 in "Bridge Mode" (which essentially turns it into a PAP2T). My Dad's DSL Internet speed is no more than 4 Mbs so he doesn't see any degradation in speed. I told him he could plug the computer directly into the router, but he figures he has more protection by having two routers between him and the outside world. His phone and computer both work fine, so there's no harm it leaving it set up that way.

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by rblizz:

said by Sly:

I don't either (nor does my brother). But my Dad uses his for a router (even though his DSL Modem/router/switch is also available). When I tested SPA2102s as routers on my home system, I found that they were steady, but topped out at 7 Mbs. Since I have a higher speed Internet connection than that, I wouldn't use it as a router (not that I had any need to anyhow), so I put my SPA2102 in "Bridge Mode" (which essentially turns it into a PAP2T).

[However,] my Dad's DSL Internet speed is no more than 4 Mbs so he doesn't see any degradation in speed. I told him he could plug the computer directly into the router, but he figures he has more protection by having two routers between him and the outside world. His phone and computer both work fine, so there's no harm it leaving it set up that way.

I agree with everything you said there, and your reasons.

As for the dual routers deal - if you were able to make it work, K00L.

But if your Dad ever wants to do anything which needs 'Port Forwarding', such as some p2p apps, then things could get very spaghetti-like in figuring out how, when multiple routers are nested like that.
rblizz
join:2001-12-16
North Richland Hills, TX

rblizz

said by Davesnothere:

As for the dual routers deal - if you were able to make it work, K00L.

But if your Dad ever wants to do anything which needs 'Port Forwarding', such as some p2p apps, then things could get very spaghetti-like in figuring out how, when multiple routers are nested like that.

I don't think that's going to be an issue with him. Up until about six or seven months ago he was using EarthLink dial-up, but they dropped their local number and "generously" offered him an $8 an hour 800 number to login. He does like high-speed Internet and his CallCentric phone.

I did explain to him, if it ever becomes an issue, just unplug your computer from the SPA2102 and plug it directly into the modem, which I had him test when he first installed DSL. He's actually pretty good at this stuff, especially considering that he's nearly 80 years old.