Bink
Villains... knock off all that evil

join:2006-05-14
Castle Rock, CO
kudos:4
Reviews:
·VOIPO
reply to neftv

Re: correlation between the WAN MTU and security for the LAN.

MTU on cable is 1500—MTU on DSL tends to be less than 1500 so, if you have DSL, this might be why a smaller MTU resolves your issues. That said, PMTU should figure out the best MTU for a connection, but many devices/routers/firewalls break this/are misconfigured and break this.

neftv

join:2000-10-01
Broomall, PA
So to answer you I am on Verizon Fios. I thought Fios was 1500 MTU but I guess not for watching streaming media for the long duration. I know that when I set my MTU to default (1500 greyed out) in the Shibby enabled RT-n12 b1 router I get my live TV streaming interrupted routinely. When I set to manual and something lower than 1500 well I only tried 1425 1420 the streams just keep playing on my 3 devices.

Bink
Villains... knock off all that evil

join:2006-05-14
Castle Rock, CO
kudos:4
Reviews:
·VOIPO
Well, I don’t have Verizon FiOS, but a search quickly turned up »www2.verizon.net/help/fios_setti···more.asp, which says the optimal MTU for Verizon FiOS is 1492.

neftv

Broomall, PA
That makes sense now as that part of the site looks fairly new. Thanks.

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
kudos:9
Reviews:
·G4 Communications
·Fairpoint Commun..
·Hollis Hosting
reply to Bink
said by Bink:

the optimal MTU for Verizon FiOS is 1492.

That means they are using PPPoE encapsulation which adds 8 bytes to each packet reducing the MTU to 1492.

/tom

neftv

Broomall, PA
I have always been on DHCP with Fios. I just can't use 1500 if I want to be able to receive streaming media for any length of time.
1492 seems to be holding good for me.