Under Siege
Premium
join:2001-03-04
Mcdonough, GA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·magicjack.com

The "Cloud" v AT&T

I really believe this is an issue. - I just got back from Afghanistan to find that our file server had crashed in April.(?!) Wife is technically challenged, so the errors she saw she just "clicked" her way out of it.
The OS was toast (lost 3 drives - using HP ADG RAID6), but the data (separate controller, separate array) was fine.

-- anyway-- I'm done. Finished with onsite storage. I found a decent cloud service with unlimited data, sharing, backups, guarantee ... $80/year. After cleaning up the crap, I whittled down my data to @250GB (mostly photos/music since '99). Surprise, that just happens to be the cap. - I'm about 20% uploaded now (after 3days) - going to take awhile - uhhggg...

I know they "can't" monitor (bureaucracy/inept to our favor) yet, but when they do, small time consumers like me who want to protect our data are screwed. It's not just cloud backup, but just about every thing is going cloud (think Windows 8, Chrome, etc...).

Please do not mention "NAS, CD, DVD, file/print server...", I am no longer interested after 20yrs playing the Vegas odds. I'm going to continue to let my U-Verse work for me until they implement.

I guess I have no questions - more venting than anything - g'night.
--
That's "MISTER" Kafir to you.

AdamB

join:2001-01-07
Columbus, OH

What provider are you using for your cloud storage?

I've been trying to decide how I'd like to handle my data storage needs in the future and haven't decided yet. I like Dropbox, but the point of cloud storage to me wouldn't be so much as syncing but more having a 'network drive' which I can access from anywhere. I want to be able to store a lot of data remotely rather than just have to store it locally and then synced to the cloud.

ImpldConsent
Under Siege
Premium
Mcdonough, GA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·magicjack.com

Justcloud.com - pretty straight forward. Small app, select files, backup. I can get to my files from any connected device (her crApple devices, my Android devices). I'm so over worrying about the fire-theft-destruction scenarios of on-site home storage.

/rantoff - taking my Xanax
--

cramer
Premium
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
kudos:9

So I shouldn't mention Cloud providers can (and do) go *poof* overnight, along with your data? And for 80$/yr, I seriously doubt your contract provides for any kind of SLA -- if they have a drive failure and your data disappears, then your data is gone.

(There's a saying about eggs and a basket. You might wanna look that one up.)

battleop

join:2005-09-28

"Cloud providers can (and do) go *poof* overnight,"

Not to mention they can get shut down or they too have failures in their disaster recovery.
--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.

Michail
Premium
join:2000-08-02
Boynton Beach, FL
kudos:1
reply to AdamB

said by AdamB:

What provider are you using for your cloud storage?

I've been trying to decide how I'd like to handle my data storage needs in the future and haven't decided yet. I like Dropbox, but the point of cloud storage to me wouldn't be so much as syncing but more having a 'network drive' which I can access from anywhere. I want to be able to store a lot of data remotely rather than just have to store it locally and then synced to the cloud.

I'm starting to like Skydrive. Once they have selective sync in place, which they have blogged about it being in development, it should be a nice service. That and you know Microsoft isn't going anywhere.

Bitcasa has the concept of an infinite drive. It basically stores everything on a cloud and streams/caches files as needed.

ImpldConsent
Under Siege
Premium
Mcdonough, GA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·magicjack.com

I actually like skydrive as well as well as google drive - neither of them are going away. But, just like everything cloud related, it's gonna need bandwidth - hence, my concern over any caps. If more and more are going the way of cloud the tiny 250GB of data on U-Verse is gonna hurt.

Yea, I get the whole "poof" scenario, but I can replay that scenario with (add your favorite NAS, fileserver, SAN here). Don't be fooled by HDD manufacturers, the warranty only covers the drives, not the data. At least with a purchased agreement, I can recover my data if drives go down (they use Amazon S3 - which will probably not go away anytime soon either).

I don't need to convince y'all - I was ranting on the caps, not the method of backing up my precious data (mostly archive docs, fantastic life photos and paid for music).
--

Michail
Premium
Boynton Beach, FL

I completely agree. I worry about the future of network and technology innovation, such as cloud services, when so much control is within AT&T's grasp. Once, or if, the caps become "fully operational" I fear for the worst.

AdamB

join:2001-01-07
Columbus, OH
reply to Michail

said by Michail:

Bitcasa has the concept of an infinite drive. It basically stores everything on a cloud and streams/caches files as needed.

Bitcasa seems to be the type of service I'm interested in. I'll give it a try.

cramer
Premium
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
kudos:9
reply to battleop

*poof* covers a lot of stuff.

ImpldConsent
Under Siege
Premium
Mcdonough, GA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·magicjack.com
reply to AdamB

said by AdamB:

said by Michail:

Bitcasa seems to be the type of service I'm interested in. I'll give it a try.

I have google drive and sky drive and they acts as folders. Anything I use in there is auto-sync'd. I'll use that for projects and portable files. I'm going to use Justcloud for archive. Again, to my point - more cloud methods - more bandwidth for all the network providers to hold us hostage with.
--

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

said by ImpldConsent:

Again, to my point - more cloud methods - more bandwidth for all the network providers to hold us hostage with.

That is the sum of cloud issues. Your data is "in the cloud", and it is hostage to not only your ISP policies, but a host of other parties; including "Bob" (NSA).
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

jsinaiko
Premium
join:2001-04-25
Chicago, IL
reply to ImpldConsent

Frankly - the cloud scares the crap outta me. I'd rather have triple redundancy and a cloud backup in case of a complete local meltdon.

And I would echo what Linus Torwald pointed out recently - that solid state drives don't clap out. So I'll wait till they get a TB solid state HD down to a reasonable proice and take my chances till then.
--
Illegitimati non carborundum

Michail
Premium
Boynton Beach, FL

said by jsinaiko:

Frankly - the cloud scares the crap outta me. I'd rather have triple redundancy and a cloud backup in case of a complete local meltdon.

And I would echo what Linus Torwald pointed out recently - that solid state drives don't clap out. So I'll wait till they get a TB solid state HD down to a reasonable proice and take my chances till then.

Redundancy is definitely needed. A hacker could take out your cloud backup. If it's a sync backup and the could service doesn't maintain history a local accidental delete could wipe the could as well.

Matt7

join:2001-01-02
Columbus, OH
reply to ImpldConsent

Cloud is nice..but I would not put any non replaceable content in there and not keep a physical backup(s) elsewhere.

Juneau

@sbcglobal.net
reply to jsinaiko

After what happened to Amazon's cloud today

»www.wired.com/wiredenterprise/20···ervices/

I'm not going to put my faith in any type of cloud system. Way too easy to lose it all. Drive costs are coming back down and redundant physical storage off-site is still my way.

ImpldConsent
Under Siege
Premium
Mcdonough, GA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·magicjack.com
reply to Matt7

Click for full size
Lotsa errors
Click for full size
Click for full size
said by Matt7:

Cloud is nice..but I would not put any non replaceable content in there and not keep a physical backup(s) elsewhere.

I agree. Please don't get me wrong - I still backup to a 1TB external - autosync'd using SyncBackPro - but it's local. I'm just not going to stress over it anymore. If it fails, well ... whatever.

So, all this uploading (now 33% done) is a decent stress test on my 2yr old U-Verse gear. I actually had to power-fail my 3800 last night. It started to hiccup - then finally stop any data. I come in this morning at look at UVRT. Pretty weird.
--

David
I start new work on
Premium,VIP
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL
kudos:101
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·AT&T Midwest
·magicjack.com
·Google Voice
reply to battleop

said by battleop:

Not to mention they can get shut down or they too have failures in their disaster recovery.

yea this site here is a prime example of that.

battleop

join:2005-09-28

Careful! Such talk will get you on the moderated list.

maartena
Elmo
Premium
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA
kudos:3
reply to ImpldConsent

Pretty much all backup services I am aware off will do incremental backups after the initial upload. So although the first upload might be 250 Gb, the most important thing to figure out is how much data CHANGES on a daily basis.

If you are a wedding photographer that brings home 50 Gb a week in photo's from 14 flash rom cards that needs to be backed up, you are indeed looking at some trouble if the caps are in place. If you however take no more than about 100 photo's a week, (which should be about 2 Gb with modern high quality camera's), modify about 100 word/excel documents a week (which I estimate to be 500 MB in changes), you are looking at about 10 Gb a month in changes..... which is very doable.

Also, things you have purchased such as iTunes, Amazon, and other digital services (such as movies and music) you technically don't have to back up as you can re-download them. Also, that is mostly static data that never changes, so you may choose to only do that type of backup to a local drive, with an online backup once every 6 months just in case - as a digital provider could go bankrupt. Again, you'd still pick a incremental backup so only new purchases will be backed up, not everything all over again.

Everything you have purchased in the 6 months since an online backup, can almost certainly be re-downloaded through the purchaser as well in case of emergencies.

The reality is.... that user-made data is really the most important to protect. Photo's, videos, documents, and other user-created data.... and luckily, unless you are a photographer, video editor, 3D designer, etc, you are likely not exceeding a NEW data creating of about 5-10 Gb a month. So it's really the initial backup that is going to be the major issue.

For now, I would not be too worried about the cap. Once the initial backup is done, you are most likely not going to hit it again with JUST the daily/weekly backup.
--
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!"

ImpldConsent
Under Siege
Premium
Mcdonough, GA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·magicjack.com
reply to ImpldConsent

Yep, all that uploading fried my RG. Had it replaced this morning, runs like a champ now. Tech checked the card at the VRAD, all green-n-go; checked line noise - good - checked CAT5 - good - checked RG and it had 18x reboots within 72hrs (not me, I power failed once) and errors were a gazillion.

So - the ATT consumer gear might not like the cloud either. Go figure.
--