spc
Search similar:

uniqs
parafluie
join:2011-06-06
Saint Petersburg, FL

parafluie

[TWC] Not allowed to change email Password! TBRR

I have been getting returned mail from a spoof from Russia! I tried to change the password to my 15 yo account, but am not allowed to do so. RoadRunner says, in essence, tough noogies, because my original PW is only 7 digits. I can access my account, and I can change settings, but I'm rejected from the password change. Apparently their system changed and they will only accept PW of 8 or more. So, I'm SOL.

Today, I got another 25+ mail delivery failures (which means, to me there were many that got through -- under MY ADDRESS!). My email address is meaningful to me and I want to keep it, but I want to change my account password.

This password problem is, apparently, above the comprehension or power of the customer service reps. I have asked them to solve the problem and get back to me (sure!) but I'm still screwed.

I've been a customer forever, and I'm powerless! What can I do?? I'm writing to CS and TW CEO for starters, but this is a big time investment and should be a simple matter.

I'm in St Pbg tier of tampabay.rr.com

Thanks.

PS, they also accidentally destroyed my webpages while migrating and had no answer where or how. Perhaps that was also related to my short PW???
BangBang
join:2000-07-05
North Bergen, NJ

BangBang

Why not just make a longer password?
parafluie
Saint Petersburg, FL

parafluie

I am not allowed to. That's the point . They won't let me change ANYTHING. But thanks for the thought.
parafluie

parafluie

Hello ****
Thank you for contacting Road Runner technical email Support.
I understand that you are receiving emails in your RR Inbox that are Message System Delivery Problem.
I understand your concern.
I can assist you with the issue.
This is a spamming technology called email spoofing, in which emails will be sent from the email address without the knowledge of the account holder.
In this regard, I request you run a complete computer scan using any updated security program and also change your email address password and do not share your password information with anyone for security reasons.
Please follow the below steps to change your email address password:
1. Click on the following link: »selfcare.rr.com and login with your email address and password.
2. Click on User Management >> Change password.
3. Enter your current password, enter the new password and then enter the confirmation password.
4. Then click on Change password button to proceed.
Click on the following link: »help.rr.com/HMSFaqs/e_Se ··· Password to get the step by step instructions on how to change your email address password along with screen shots which will be helpful for you.
I'd also recommend you report this to the Spam Email team at : abuse@rr.com
I hope the above information is useful and resolves your issue.
It's a pleasure to assist you and have you as our valued customer.
Your case number for this e-mail interaction is *****.
If the issue still persists, I suggest you contact our Chat Support or Voice Support for further assistance. They will be able to assist you better with the help of the advanced tools.
Contacting us through chat or voice support will enable an agent to thoroughly look into your issue and offer necessary steps to resolve the issue.
You can contact us through Chat Support by accessing this link »www.help.rr.com/HMSLogic ··· hat.aspx
You can contact us through Voice Support on : 727-329-2056.
If you have any further queries you can visit our online Support Site at help.rr.com or contact us again for further troubleshooting steps. Please visit »help.rr.com and click on 'FAQ' for informational FAQs.
We commit to listening to your feedback. You can Click Here to share your feedback.
********, thank you for contacting Time Warner Cable Road Runner Technical Email Support, my name is Jose Watson, we value you as a customer. To better serve you, we also offer 24*7 Chat support which can be reached from help.rr.com, or by simply clicking on the following link »www.help.rr.com/HMSLogic ··· hat.aspx
Regards,
Jose Watson,
Time Warner Cable,
Road Runner Technical support.

Now, I am prevented from changing my password (I can get into system and all is okay, but when I try to change it according to protocol, I'm told "ooops . . . it appears your present password is invalid". Therefore, I'm getting dozens of Daemon letters where spoofed mail is apparently being sent to gazillions from Russia.

I want to change the password to my invaded account. Since I am longterm customer, my account password has only seven digits. Apparently, new RoadRunner accounts have more digits, so that I can only access my account, but am kicked out at the time of trying to change my password. Representatives tell me (at least they did in early October when these spoofs began) that I am, in essence, SOL, and they can't do anything. Tough noogies for me.

My interest is in protecting myself and RR is hanging me out to dry.

Is there anything YOU can do to allow me to change my password. I do NOT want to change my name on the account. I want a different password. It's unreasonable for me to be denied services that I pay for, simply because I'm a long-term customer. And, I shouldn't be the one to invest hours in solving a problem that Time Warner Road Runner needs to resolve. Their employees are the ones that are paid.

I will be happy to supply you with prior emails from TWRR upon request.

Thanks
cramer
Premium Member
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
Westell 6100
Cisco PIX 501

cramer to parafluie

Premium Member

to parafluie
They very likely AREN'T using your RR account to send these messages. They're simply setting the FROM: line to your email address -- something any idiot, anywhere on the internet can do. A lot of lame systems have been devised to address this problem, but they all fail in some way because they depend on everyone using the same one and setting up the relevant records. (SPF, domainkeys, etc.)

Granted, you have an unrelated issue with morons at RR. What idiot checks the length of the old password when changing a password???
parafluie
Saint Petersburg, FL

parafluie

Well, a few weeks ago, they told me that I didn't have the proper length PW so I couldn't access the system to change the password and that I was basically SOL (my interpretation). Apparently they disallowed the prior passwords.

They always say, to wit,that I'm allowed to call them or chat with them, and waste my time because no one knows the solution to their changes to the system.

Oh, wait, are you saying that the Russians who are sending spoofs aren't using my account? And that a PW change won't help? Aaargh. Is there anything you know that I can do?

If changing my a/c PW is useless and moot, I don't wanna beat a dead horse.

Thanks mucho.
cramer
Premium Member
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
Westell 6100
Cisco PIX 501

cramer

Premium Member

said by parafluie:

Oh, wait, are you saying that the Russians who are sending spoofs aren't using my account? And that a PW change won't help? Aaargh. Is there anything you know that I can do?

CORRECT.
parafluie
Saint Petersburg, FL

parafluie

Thanks Cramer.

Again, Aaargh! Please advise if there's anything you recommend -- I simply didn't want my account invaded.

swintec
Premium Member
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME

swintec to parafluie

Premium Member

to parafluie
I was having this problem with my RR email as well. I changed my password just in case and I didnt get anymore...BUT I am not sure if they stopped on their own or if the password change fixed it.
parafluie
Saint Petersburg, FL

parafluie

Thanks Swintec. I guess time will tell for me too.
parafluie

parafluie

Yesterday, after posting here and after writing to several corporate executives (CEO and 4 others) I received telephone calls from SEVERAL BHN/RR reps. One both called and sent email. The others called and called and another said he was going to call every 1/2 hour until I answered! (Thank heavens for Google Voice!).

When I got all these messages this morning, I responded to AJ Silva's helpful email, and believe he understood the situation and will resolve it for me.

I'm not sure if the trigger for a reasonable response was because of my posting here, or because of the emails I sent. What do YOU think?

Meanwhile, it's a very poor reflection on BHN/RR customer service, that one cannot be properly helped without writing to the CEO and posting here! What about people who do not figure this out and who rely on the general CSRs?

Nevertheless, at this point I am grateful to you all and to the CEO. I'll let you know if/when it is actually resolved.

Warm regards,
PF

kontos
xyzzy
join:2001-10-04
West Henrietta, NY

kontos

Hope that works out for you.
If not, I'd go through their "I Forgot my Password" process to try and get it changed. That should let you get the password reset without having to try to enter the current password.
parafluie
Saint Petersburg, FL

parafluie

Hmm. That's an interesting thought--I hadn't considered that. Too bad the CSRs didn't have a clue and didn't recommend that. I'll bet that would have worked. Thanks!

The RR person was WONDERFUL, and he fixed it so I could change the password. He was lovely and kind, and had been assigned my case from the letter I wrote to the execs. If you need the names I sent to or this great guy's name/email, write to me. I don't want to post here. But I'm very, very happy with him.

Too bad RR doesn't have ALL employees trained!

Thanks everyone, for your support and good energy!
djlbella
join:2012-12-30

djlbella to parafluie

to parafluie
I have a similar problem to parafluie. I am getting hundred plus emails per day returned and saying they are sent from my Adelphia email address (now Roadrunner). This is filling my inbox and as I use multiple devices to access my email, I have to delete hundreds of emails/day. I was directed by RR customer support over a week ago to run virus scan (I did and found nothing) and they would look on their end. I have not been contacted since by RR. I have had my account with RR for over 15 years and do not want to change my email address. I have an email which I set up with Aldelphia (now Roadrunner) which is only 4 characters. The password reset won't recognize my current password as it is to short, I tried to retrieve my "lost password" and it doesn't recognize my email address when I enter the MAC number on my modem (I have tried both my old Adelphia email as well as RR email addresses and same issues). I now have another message into the RR help desk and they don't work on weekends so I am SOL again. Appreciate any other thoughts or ideas anyone might be able to share.
parafluie
Saint Petersburg, FL

parafluie

After all I went through, I think it might have been easy. As soon as you enter, press "forgot password" and then go from there.

Oh, somehow your email address isn't recognized? I'm not sure why you are entering MAC No.

So, if you get in on »webmail.?.rr.com/ you cannot even sign in? Grrr.

It's infuriating.
Fleeced
join:2012-10-06

Fleeced to parafluie

to parafluie
Or you can simply call in and have them change the password for you.

Racerbob
Premium Member
join:2001-06-24
Webster, NY

Racerbob

Premium Member

said by Fleeced:

Or you can simply call in and have them change the password for you.

Exactly !

mackey
Premium Member
join:2007-08-20

mackey to djlbella

Premium Member

to djlbella
said by djlbella:

I am getting hundred plus emails per day returned and saying they are sent from my Adelphia email address (now Roadrunner).

This is known as backscatter and there's nothing you can do about it. You can either change your e-mail address, or wait it out in hopes that the spammers stop faking your address as the "From:" address.

/M

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to parafluie

MVM

to parafluie
said by parafluie:

As usual, here I am, a day late and a dollar short. But I had a Yahoo! Mail address forged by a spammer in the summer of 2002. It was three months before the backscatter died down. I did not change my password, I just rode it out.

Amusing side note: I identified four MailWasher bounces among the backscatter. I sent all MW users an email suggesting that they not use that MW feature. One of them bounced that suggestion, which bounce I forwarded to their provider as impersonating one of their officials.
parafluie
Saint Petersburg, FL

parafluie

All good input, except the phone call. I doubt the telephone reps are any better trained or more astute than the email reps who didn't have a clue what to do, as noted in one of the many emails that gave me repeated wrong instructions.

There was one rep who went out of his way to help me. I was lucky to find him (from writing to CEO et als.)

Backscatter is a new term for me. Thanks all for the education! And, @NormanS, like you, I used to bounce in MWP (still use the old program!) and stopped using that feature. Do you still use bounce? I don't have any nifty effects as you have had. Well done!

Thanks all! And a Happy New Year!

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

said by parafluie:

And, @NormanS, like you, I used to bounce in MWP (still use the old program!) and stopped using that feature. Do you still use bounce? I don't have any nifty effects as you have had. Well done!

No sir. I only briefly evaluated MW. I tested the bounce feature against my own accounts. From that decided it wasn't appropriate. In the end, I chose not to continue with MW.

What I mentioned was receiving MW bounces as part of the backscatter caused by the spammer. The bounces were directed to my Yahoo! email address by users who thought the spammer was going to get them; but I got them, instead. Because I had my test bounces, I found a unique signature only seen in MW bounces.

"Bouncing" can only be done during the SMTP transaction; by the time you see the email, the necessary information for a valid bounce is long gone.

I hope to get my other computer moved from the old residence to the new one, soon. I had my own server running, and that allows for the best effects. I have some customized reject messages which go to the sending IP address. I may, out of curiosity, test MW against the server to see how MW handles a valid bounce in response to a misdirected, and fake, MW bounce.