parputt
Premium
join:2001-11-25
New Iberia, LA
Reviews:
·AT&T Southeast
·Cox HSI

CHASE bank

Got a call from Chase bank last night (yes Sunday night) to see if we had made a 100.00 charge to an online vendor. Seems their fraud protection had flagged a purchase due to the shipping address being different. The charge was denied and all is good in my world. Kudos to Chase bank.
--
"Let us be thankful for the fools. But for them the rest of us could not succeed." - - - Mark Twain

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
Are they sending you a new card?

parputt
Premium
join:2001-11-25
New Iberia, LA
Yep, overnight.

Toadman
Hypnotoad

join:2001-11-28
Ex Ohioan
kudos:1
Reviews:
·AT&T Midwest
Chase is very good about staying on top of fraud. I used my ATM card in Bangkok about 3 months ago and within 2 minutes I got a text message telling me they suspended the card on suspicion of fraud. I called and took care of re activating. They were very apologetic and I told them I appreciate them being more cautious then not

My rant - every time I go in ( which is rare ) the tellers are coached to try to do small talk with you. Just accept my deposit. I don't need a conversation.
--
This post is made with meat biproducts.

ilikeme
I live in a van down by the river.
Premium
join:2002-08-27
Sugar Land, TX
Reviews:
·Vonage
said by Toadman:

Chase is very good about staying on top of fraud. I used my ATM card in Bangkok about 3 months ago and within 2 minutes I got a text message telling me they suspended the card on suspicion of fraud. I called and took care of re activating. They were very apologetic and I told them I appreciate them being more cautious then not

USAA did the same thing when I went to the UK back in June. Called in and it was immediately resolved.
--

Fiber Optics is the future of high-speed internet access. Stop by the BBR Fiber Optic Forum

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
You're better off using Capital One for overseas charges -- No foreign currency fees. I saved a bunch when I charged my Paris hotel bill to my Capital One card.

ilikeme
I live in a van down by the river.
Premium
join:2002-08-27
Sugar Land, TX
Reviews:
·Vonage
said by Bob4:

You're better off using Capital One for overseas charges -- No foreign currency fees. I saved a bunch when I charged my Paris hotel bill to my Capital One card.

I have had Capital One in the past and prefer USAA. I hardly ever travel outside of the US, so the foreign transaction charge does not bother me. USAA only charges 1%. I have used it in the UK, France, and The Netherlands and it was fine.
--

Fiber Optics is the future of high-speed internet access. Stop by the BBR Fiber Optic Forum

Toadman
Hypnotoad

join:2001-11-28
Ex Ohioan
Reviews:
·AT&T Midwest
reply to Bob4
I use UBS for cc purchases overseas. Same deal no transaction fees. The chase card is debit and I have found out I am ahead currency conversion using ATM, even with the 5 buck ATM fee.
--
This post is made with meat biproducts.

swintec
Premium,VIP
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS
reply to Bob4
said by Bob4:

I get that with Chase as well.
--
Usenet Block Accounts | Unlimited Accounts

nightdesigns
Gone missing, back soon
Premium
join:2002-05-31
AZ
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
reply to parputt
I've been liking Chase more and more. My only real peeve with them is that they sent me constant offers to open another checking and a savings accoubt. They called about it one day and I kindly asked to stop getting the offers. They immediately stopped.

Also, never really sure the policy on fees for notarized documents, but they have never charged for the service.
--
This Space for Rent...

Boricua
Premium
join:2002-01-26
Sacramuerto
reply to parputt
Well Chase can kiss my dark behind. I got a 401k loan that was drawn from Chase. When in to the bank to get a cashier's check to myself. Not only did they charged me a fee for the cashier's check (which I am okay with) but they wanted to charge me a fee for NOT having an account with them (even though the check is from that bank) . So I said "That's why I don't want to bank with you" when the lady asked about opening an account or banking with them. The lady then said she'll wave the fee . I am very very happy with my credit union . Frack the banks.
--
Illegal aliens have always been a problem in the United States. Ask any Indian. Robert Orben

hitachi369
Embrace Your Rights
Premium
join:2001-10-03
Grand Rapids, MI
kudos:4
said by Boricua:

Well Chase can kiss my dark behind. I got a 401k loan that was drawn from Chase. When in to the bank to get a cashier's check to myself. Not only did they charged me a fee for the cashier's check (which I am okay with) but they wanted to charge me a fee for NOT having an account with them (even though the check is from that bank) . So I said "That's why I don't want to bank with you" when the lady asked about opening an account or banking with them. The lady then said she'll wave the fee . I am very very happy with my credit union . Frack the banks.

Most bank's do this... Why not cash the check at your CU?
--
STOP THE NSA WIRETAPS

They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security
~Benjamin Franklin

Boricua
Premium
Sacramuerto
Because when I tried they said they couldn't hence why I went to the issuing bank.

said by hitachi369:

Most banks do this...

Yes and I call that bullshit. If the check came out of that bank why should I be charged for cashing a check when they already have that account AND they know what the balance is.
--
Illegal aliens have always been a problem in the United States. Ask any Indian. Robert Orben

hitachi369
Embrace Your Rights
Premium
Grand Rapids, MI
said by Boricua:

Because when I tried they said they couldn't hence why I went to the issuing bank.

said by hitachi369:

Most banks do this...

Yes and I call that bullshit. If the check came out of that bank why should I be charged for cashing a check when they already have that account AND they know what the balance is.

Because they are doing you a service, and when a bank does you a service they are looking for something in return. In this case an account or a fee. There is still also still a risk to the bank that the item maybe returned.
--
STOP THE NSA WIRETAPS

They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security
~Benjamin Franklin

Boricua
Premium
Sacramuerto
said by hitachi369:

There is still also still a risk to the bank that the item maybe returned.

Umm...That doesn't make sense. If they bring up on their screen the balance, they should know if the check will cover it or not .

Again, there's no rhyme or reason whey they should charge those fees for cashing a check from said bank.

Complaints on cashing a check for a fee.
--

hitachi369
Embrace Your Rights
Premium
Grand Rapids, MI
said by Boricua:

said by hitachi369:

There is still also still a risk to the bank that the item maybe returned.

Umm...That doesn't make sense. If they bring up on their screen the balance, they should know if the check will cover it or not .

There is more than one reason why a check can be returned besides NSF or present a loss to the bank. There could be fraud, on you or the maker. There could returned deposit items that reduces the balance. There could be a bank error on the account that reduces the balance after its corrected. There are a multitude of reasons why there could be a shortage and the bank left holding the bag, when you cash it in person you could pose a cost to the bank that normally could be mitigated with the other bank.

said by Boricua:

Again, there's no rhyme or reason whey they should charge those fees for cashing a check from said bank.

They are doing something for you that they do not have to. The bank is in business to make money. They are providing a service, and they can and will charge. The complaints you see are largely going to be the same for every other bank. If you think this whole situation is unique to Chase you are sorely mistaken.

said by Boricua:

Complaints on cashing a check for a fee.

People don't like getting charged a fee, did you expect praise? In all honesty I am surprised they waived the fee.
--
STOP THE NSA WIRETAPS

~Benjamin Franklin

drew
Automatic
Premium
join:2002-07-10
Port Orchard, WA
kudos:6
said by hitachi369:

People don't like getting charged a fee, did you expect praise? In all honesty I am surprised they waived the fee.

Me too - the teller (manager?) went above and beyond the call of duty here, IMO.

At WFB, we'd cash *personal* checks for no-fee, but business checks always did. Not only are you providing a service to a non-customer, you're opening up situations for loss potential. On top of that, this prevents ridiculous "I need this $30,000 check cashed so I can go deposit it in my bank because I'm a dead-beat over there and need to cover my outstanding checks i shouldn't have written. wait, there's a fee? THIS IS BULL blah blah blah." situations.
--
flickr | 'Cause I've been waiting, all my life just waiting
For you to shine, shine your light on me