how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Hilbe

join:2002-12-13
Fishers, IN

Throttling

Anyone notice any throttling lately? Seems like it's been happening to me, but I'm just paranoid AT&T is becoming Comcast.

First threatening to cap, and then bandwidth throttle/shaping...

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

Regarding Comcast throttling:

»Re: Is Comcast "throttling" torrent downloads in Oakland?

It appears that throttling is not widely used by them.

For as long as I had AT&T DSL (Feb. 17, 2001 to April 17, 2011), I never saw evidence of throttling. I did run into congestion, once, which they fixed by moving me to a different aggregation router.

So what symptoms prompted your post?
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

Hilbe

Fishers, IN

Frequent slow-downs of my connection. I'm on fiber and have been on it for almost 3 years. This the first time I've seen my connection frequently come to a crawl.

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

You are on FTTH? Very rare for AT&T. What is your normal speed? And is the slowdown at any time, or peak usage hours (~5PM to ~11PM)?

FWIW, Verizon has the largest FTTH deployment (FiOS), but I've never heard of them throttling.
--
Norman

maartena
Elmo
Premium
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA
kudos:2
reply to Hilbe

said by Hilbe:

Frequent slow-downs of my connection. I'm on fiber and have been on it for almost 3 years. This the first time I've seen my connection frequently come to a crawl.

In most cases it is a badly configured torrent client. Many torrent users think that "more connections = more speed", and configure the torrent client to use e.g. 1000 connections/sec in total and 500 per torrent or something like that.

Many home routers however, have trouble processing more than about 512 connections/sec, and that would close slowdowns with other protocols as well.

It's best to configure your torrent client to about 200 connections total, and 50-100 per torrent. You will STILL get full speed (more connections doesn't give you more speed, it just connects to a lot more hosts, 95% of which aren't uploading to you)
--
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!"

Hilbe

Fishers, IN
reply to Hilbe

I have a Netgear managed switch handling my traffic immediately after the RG, no home router or anything in the way. As I have said before, this was never an issue until recently. I have put over 1500 connections at once through it for fun, no issues either.

My connection usually comes in 17 M / 1.4 M on speedtest.net. When I'm experiencing the issue, I see speeds at 5 M / 400 K on speedtest.net.

This happens any time of day - morning, noon, or night. It's been real tricky for me to tell the cause.

Hilbe

Fishers, IN
reply to Hilbe

Here's one of my speedtests from a few weeks ago.

Here's one from a few minutes ago, while I have some load (no issues presently).

Tel

join:2001-10-12
Mauldin, SC
reply to Hilbe

Looks to me like some type of trouble on the line either outside or inside.

ILpt4U
Premium
join:2006-11-12
Lisle, IL
kudos:9
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

said by Tel:

Looks to me like some type of trouble on the line either outside or inside.

I guess outside line trouble is possible on FTTP, but highly unlikely... I would think a failing Fiber would not give intermittent service -- if that glass is not passing light, it should just be bad/not working, no?

More likely than that would probably be a failing ONT or failing Modem/RG...

Are those speed tests from a hard line or wireless? Those pings are very high for FTTP

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

said by ILpt4U:

Are those speed tests from a hard line or wireless? Those pings are very high for FTTP

I suspect he was told his IPDSLAM was "fiber", while it is really just the usual U-verse FTTH.
--
Norman

Hilbe

Fishers, IN
reply to Hilbe

I will just call AT&T next time I experience it. All my stuff is hardwired except few random devices.

I'm puzzled.

TBBroadband

join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·MegaPath

1 edit
reply to NormanS

The Midwest does have a good chunk of Fiber to the Home built out. This was done pre-AT&T, under Project Lightspeed. Ed built out the FTTH network and pulled the copper out of the cities that were rebuilt. The States that had this done were, Michigan, Wisconsin, and Indiana. And the build out isn't normally a few streets or areas. They built out the entire city when they did it. In Michigan one area is Carlton which is in Monroe County. It has been actual FTTH for years now.
--

Hilbe

Fishers, IN

Our neighborhood is actually a mix. There is some copper and some fiber. I live in the newer (2 or 3 years old) section of the neighborhood, which appears to be all fiber. Houses 5+ years old in my neighborhood are stock on copper.

brianiscool

join:2000-08-16
Tampa, FL
kudos:1
reply to Hilbe

AT&T does not throttle. What you are seeing is latency. U-verse has high latency due to the way their infrastructure is setup. If you want lower latency find another provider. The technician for U-Verse stated to me this has always been an issue.

ILpt4U
Premium
join:2006-11-12
Lisle, IL
kudos:9
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

said by brianiscool:

AT&T does not throttle. What you are seeing is latency. U-verse has high latency due to the way their infrastructure is setup. If you want lower latency find another provider. The technician for U-Verse stated to me this has always been an issue.

On FTTP, latency is not an issue. First few hops are typically single digit ms.

On FTTN, latency is a little bit higher, due to the interleaving. Still typically not much more than 25-35 ms first few hops

Forosnai

join:2011-09-30
kudos:2
reply to Hilbe

ATT doesn't throttle on land line broadband. Considering you haven't posted any real line stats, you could technically have an intermittent problem on the line.
What you may be experiencing is the upload buffer 'bloat' inherent in any Uverse install. If the modem's upload bandwidth is saturated, available download bandwidth and overall latency will be reduced. The only way around it is to establish QoS control before the Uverse modem with your own equipment to limit upload bandwidth to just under what your Uverse modem syncs at.