spc
uniqs

dongato17
join:2000-07-28
Atlanta, GA

dongato17 to WHT

to WHT

Re: Verizon as a WISP

Supposedly the average on ATT/VZ DSL is around 20-25GB per month but that number is trending up obviously and has a lot of people who haven't found services like Netflix. Those people will find Netflix when they finally buy their next TV or DVD player.

I'm not saying that this can't be a threat to unlicensed WISPs, but as it stands now it is not a serious threat for all the reasons mentioned already. When I do a mobile speed test on VZ LTE I get 30Mbps down and 15Mbps up. Impressive, yes, but I'm can't test more than once per month for fear of using up my usage allotment.

What you see here instead are indications that AT&T wants to give up uverse and landlines and focus on mobile wireless services. IMO that creates an even greater opportunity for WISPs. There will be a rather large gap between mobile, tightly capped service and home services that need larger caps. WISPs are already filling that need and have proven that it works - we just need to keep moving ahead with innovative technology and business models.

-Hal

WHT
join:2010-03-26
Rosston, TX

WHT

That 30 Mbps down for LTE is going to drop like the glide angle of a brick.

In my 3G area, I got 1.5 during the day and 2 plus at night...a year ago. Now I'm lucky to see 300 Kbps during day and evening.

dongato17
join:2000-07-28
Atlanta, GA

dongato17

Absolutely true. They know that too which is the reason for the aggressive usage caps.

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium Member
join:2005-04-06
Cayuga, ON

Inssomniak to WHT

Premium Member

to WHT
I recently blew 36 megs down on LTE with a new phone 5. Almost peed myself! Just the other day in downtown nowhere I blew 17 megabit on 3G HSPA+!

WHT
join:2010-03-26
Rosston, TX

WHT

Doesn't Apple Store have an anti-pee app?
WHT

1 edit

WHT to dongato17

to dongato17
said by dongato17:

What you see here instead are indications that AT&T wants to give up uverse and landlines and focus on mobile wireless services.

While the AT&T and Verizon have admitted the uVerse/DSL and FIOS greenfield deployment party is over, they won't abandon any successful broadband in place.

Verizon not only found a way to get out from under their copper plant, but to make money on it with their reverse Morris trust prank...but the joke isn't funny anymore. So carriers are finding a new way to get out from under copper by lobbying state legislatures to allow them to be dropped as a "carrier of last resort". It's a pretty good bet that anyone past the third load coil is going to wake up with no musical dial tone some morning.
/added »AT&T Highlights Plan to Hang up on POTS, DSL [98] comments

I'm predicting the carriers will start up their own seamless VoIP service and ATA/in-house server (you rent monthly, of course) that will emulate a multi-line POTS service.