Premium Member
join:2000-08-02
Boynton Beach, FL

Michail to AdamB0

Premium Member

to AdamB0

Re: The "Cloud" v AT&T

said by AdamB0:

What provider are you using for your cloud storage?

I've been trying to decide how I'd like to handle my data storage needs in the future and haven't decided yet. I like Dropbox, but the point of cloud storage to me wouldn't be so much as syncing but more having a 'network drive' which I can access from anywhere. I want to be able to store a lot of data remotely rather than just have to store it locally and then synced to the cloud.

I'm starting to like Skydrive. Once they have selective sync in place, which they have blogged about it being in development, it should be a nice service. That and you know Microsoft isn't going anywhere.

Bitcasa has the concept of an infinite drive. It basically stores everything on a cloud and streams/caches files as needed.

ImpldConsent
Scouts Out
Premium Member
join:2001-03-04
North Port, FL
·Comcast XFINITY

ImpldConsent

Premium Member

I actually like skydrive as well as well as google drive - neither of them are going away. But, just like everything cloud related, it's gonna need bandwidth - hence, my concern over any caps. If more and more are going the way of cloud the tiny 250GB of data on U-Verse is gonna hurt.

Yea, I get the whole "poof" scenario, but I can replay that scenario with (add your favorite NAS, fileserver, SAN here). Don't be fooled by HDD manufacturers, the warranty only covers the drives, not the data. At least with a purchased agreement, I can recover my data if drives go down (they use Amazon S3 - which will probably not go away anytime soon either).

I don't need to convince y'all - I was ranting on the caps, not the method of backing up my precious data (mostly archive docs, fantastic life photos and paid for music).

Michail
Premium Member
join:2000-08-02
Boynton Beach, FL

Michail

Premium Member

I completely agree. I worry about the future of network and technology innovation, such as cloud services, when so much control is within AT&T's grasp. Once, or if, the caps become "fully operational" I fear for the worst.

AdamB0
join:2001-01-07
Columbus, OH

AdamB0 to Michail

to Michail
said by Michail:

Bitcasa has the concept of an infinite drive. It basically stores everything on a cloud and streams/caches files as needed.

Bitcasa seems to be the type of service I'm interested in. I'll give it a try.

ImpldConsent
Scouts Out
Premium Member
join:2001-03-04
North Port, FL
·Comcast XFINITY

ImpldConsent

Premium Member

said by AdamB0:

said by Michail:

Bitcasa seems to be the type of service I'm interested in. I'll give it a try.

I have google drive and sky drive and they acts as folders. Anything I use in there is auto-sync'd. I'll use that for projects and portable files. I'm going to use Justcloud for archive. Again, to my point - more cloud methods - more bandwidth for all the network providers to hold us hostage with.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

said by ImpldConsent:

Again, to my point - more cloud methods - more bandwidth for all the network providers to hold us hostage with.

That is the sum of cloud issues. Your data is "in the cloud", and it is hostage to not only your ISP policies, but a host of other parties; including "Bob" (NSA).