@youbroadband.in

[HELP] how to get my cisco modem isp's tftp server ip address

plz anyone help me , how to get my isp's tftp server ip address

aryoba
Premium,MVM
join:2002-08-22
kudos:4

Re: [HELP] how to get my cisco modem isp's tftp server ip addres

I don't think any ISP will provide TFTP access to their customer. Some ISP however do provide FTP access to customers.

With either case, your best way to find out is to directly contact your ISP technical support.

Wily_One
Premium
join:2002-11-24
San Jose, CA

Yeah ain't gonna happen.

Da Geek Kid

join:2003-10-11
::1
kudos:1
reply to Ash

The Cisco Cable modem does a broadcast request and the tftp server uploads the config to the modem... It's not known as others have stated.

cramer
Premium
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
kudos:8

In a little more detail... the modem gets a management address via DHCP when it comes online. In that DHCP response is a tftp server and bootfile. At least here, I can see the broadcast responses from the DHCP server -- it's part of the background noise constantly flying around the network.

Even knowing that address, you cannot access it.

battleop

join:2005-09-28

Sure you can access it if you know the address of the TFTP server. The problem is that you can't browse it so you have to know the name of the files you want.
--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.

battleop

reply to aryoba

If they are using Option 66 and or 150 with their DHCP server the DHCP server will tell the modem where the tftp server is located. I don't know much about Cisco "modems" so if you can debug them like a real IOS router then it shouldn't be difficult to figure out the TFTP server.
--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.

cramer
Premium
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
kudos:8
reply to battleop

No, you cannot. You are on the user side of the modem. Only the HFC side is in the right network to talk to it. The point is moot anyway; what do you think you can access on the tftp server anyway? Your config... nope, the filename is only valid for a single download.

battleop

The OP didn't supply us with enough information to know for sure if he has the required access to find the tftp server's address.
--