Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix to J E F F4

Premium Member

to J E F F4

Re: [WIN8] I miss Aero

said by J E F F4:

Kinda like XP and 2000......MS has learned, computers run better w / o eye candy. Nice looking feature, 100% useless.

Actually a little known thing about areo in win7 is that when enabled it would offload the processing of it to the GPU, but when disabled it would stick it to the CPU causing a higher CPU load.

J E F F4
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4

Premium Member

said by DarkLogix:

said by J E F F4:

Kinda like XP and 2000......MS has learned, computers run better w / o eye candy. Nice looking feature, 100% useless.

Actually a little known thing about areo in win7 is that when enabled it would offload the processing of it to the GPU, but when disabled it would stick it to the CPU causing a higher CPU load.

Was unaware of that...

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

Many are.

and its a shame, MS put in alot of behind the scenes work on win7 to boost performance and then people turn the stuff off and lower performance by making it look like 2k.

so with W8 they gave up and remove areo.

J E F F4
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4

Premium Member

For these kids playing Minecraft, though, disabling aero would have been ideal, correct?

Funny thing is, when I first fiddled with Windows 8 about a year or more+ ago, you could get out of the metro gui and onto the regular Vista/7 gui. It was one of the first available for people.
Glen T
join:2003-11-03
BC

Glen T to DarkLogix

to DarkLogix
I didn't really like the transparency of the Areo title bars. I had to make them opaque to do screen captures for Help documents.

But Win8 looks and feels like an old DOS shell from Norton Utilities days. At least they could have rounded off the corners. Have not been able to find the Advanced Appearance Settings in my copy of Win8 Pro. Looks like that was removed.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix to J E F F4

Premium Member

to J E F F4
said by J E F F4:

For these kids playing Minecraft, though, disabling aero would have been ideal, correct?

Nope, Minecraft is a java game and still if you want to play the angle of lower GPU load, the GPU handles it far easier than the CPU, so there is no reason to disable it if you GPU can do it.
Glen T
BC

Glen T to J E F F4

to J E F F4
said by J E F F4:

Funny thing is, when I first fiddled with Windows 8 about a year or more+ ago, you could get out of the metro gui and onto the regular Vista/7 gui. It was one of the first available for people.

I think MS had to remove it because Win8 was made to run on the lowest common denominator, namely tablet PCs with low power CPUs. I guess they didn't want another Vista, where people would be complaining that Aero ran on their desktop but not on their Surface. That's probably the reason that they removed all the rounded corners also. Too much hp required to render circles.

My favourite theme is still XP silver.

plencnerb
Premium Member
join:2000-09-25
53403-1242

plencnerb

Premium Member

said by Glen T:

I think MS had to remove it because Win8 was made to run on the lowest common denominator, namely tablet PCs with low power CPUs. I guess they didn't want another Vista, where people would be complaining that Aero ran on their desktop but not on their Surface.

Never thought of it that way, but I do agree with your logic. Knowing that Microsoft has said that they want a "common" interface across all platforms (Desktop, Laptop, Smartphones, Tablets), removing it would follow that logic.

However, even if it is not "enabled by default", having the option there so those running on a device that could use it (like a desktop or laptop) could then turn it on would have been better, IMHO. In Windows 7 it may be on by default, but you can go back in and turn it off if you don't want it. Just flip the logic in Windows 8, and make everyone happy.

--Brian

BillRoland
Premium Member
join:2001-01-21
Ocala, FL

BillRoland to Glen T

Premium Member

to Glen T
said by Glen T:

I think MS had to remove it because Win8 was made to run on the lowest common denominator, namely tablet PCs with low power CPUs. I guess they didn't want another Vista, where people would be complaining that Aero ran on their desktop but not on their Surface. That's probably the reason that they removed all the rounded corners also. Too much hp required to render circles.

I would actually wager that the reason they removed it in Windows 8 is they didn't want Aero on the "desktop" to be competing with Metro. I've heard all the explanations about "reducing power consumption" and all that, but I'm not buying that Aero made much difference in battery life one way or another. I feel they probably realized after the early betas that Metro's competition was actually Aero and that people were spending far too much time over in the "desktop" than Microsoft wanted. They solved that by hobbling the desktop experience.

I'm sure some will label me as a conspiracy theorist but it just seems a natural and logical progression.
Glen T
BC

Glen T

I was thinking more about the "Ready for Vista" problems with PCs that were branded as such but actually failed the GPU testing that MS did prior to installing Aero. I don't think that any tablet would be able to meet the minimum GPU performance criteria that MS set to render Aero.
Glen T

Glen T to BillRoland

to BillRoland
said by BillRoland:

I'm sure some will label me as a conspiracy theorist but it just seems a natural and logical progression.

I'll take that a bit further. I suspect that XP SP3 was (by design or by coincidence) used to make a case for upgrading to Vista (and then Win7) because it had such a negative impact on system performance when compared with XP SP2.

Can we expect a similar result from some future Win7 SP2?

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

Octavean to Glen T

MVM

to Glen T
I only have experience with my Asus Eee Slate EP121 Core i5 tablet PC but I have had no noteworthy problems with it when it was running Windows 7 Home Premium OEM. It ran Aero just fine and it did so off the Intel on-chip video subsystem.

Keep in mind that this is now two year old hardware. Sandy Bridge (with improved graphics) is now superseded by Ivy Bridge (again with improved graphics). Even Atom graphics have improved and AMD based tablets should have decent (better then Intel) graphics as well.

If I were to guess, maybe ARM hardware had something to do with it. Maybe Intel didn’t want to run Aero on ARM and wanted uniformity with respect to appearance on the desktop between ARM and x86 / x64.

RazzyW8
@rr.com

RazzyW8 to DarkLogix

Anon

to DarkLogix
said by DarkLogix:

said by J E F F4:

I have noticed if you set theme to "Windows Classic" or "Windows Basic" it renders differently - its like it's not complete code or something. It doesn't redraw the entire window at the same time - Windows XP with "Windows Classic" theme "acted" better than Vista/7. "Windows 7" theme (Aero Glass) even runs/looks better than "Windows Classic" and "Windows Basic". "Windows 7" theme with transparent off is the fastest of all. To get that theme, you choose "Windows 7" then click on "Windows Color" and untick "Enable Transparency". Do not untick "Enable desktop composition" in Performance tab or it will not work.

I have ALL animations disabled in Performance tab, shadows included. It is very distracting if I leave them enabled. I cannot stand the way it fades in and out. It must appear instantly RIGHT after I click the mouse button. The Windows 8 start screen appears and disappear instantly - none of that animation.