nice irl
Premium Member
join:2011-04-15
Milwaukee, WI

Snuffbox to DrVidiBoomBa

Premium Member

to DrVidiBoomBa

Re: Dear Blizzard..

MoP's been an extremely successful expansion.

Those that dislike it are in the minority.

Enjoy Skyrim.

Also, lol@D3.

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
join:2009-01-07
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone

Premium Member

said by Snuffbox:

Based on what? Trade chat banter?
said by Snuffbox:

Read Metacritic reviews of MoP lately? LOL

There's clearly issues with this game, and it's getting progressively worse.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

IMO they should make the tabards BOA and dungeon rep tabards.

so you grind 1 toon to exalted via dailies then your alts could wear the tabard.

Skittles
Premium Member
join:2011-03-31

Skittles to Ghastlyone

Premium Member

to Ghastlyone
to expound further on Ghastly's point:
»www.examiner.com/review/ ··· pandaria

Copypasta for those that cant open:

The latest expansion pack to the widely known MMO, World of Warcraft has been out for a little over a week, but how are players taking it? Well according to metacritic, not well. Although many gaming outlets such as G4 and IGN have given fairly good reviews of the new expansion pack, many players who have rated the game tend to disagree.

Mist of Pandaria adds a new playable race, the Pandarian, that can join either the horde or alliance, raises the level cap to 90, and adds a variety of other changes such as revised talent trees, and add areas to explore. Its basically the same thing that Blizzard has been doing from the get go, raise the level cap, add some new shiny toys and keep the grind going.

Blizzard has lost over a million subscribers over the last fiscal year and with the new expansion has tried to get current subscribers to advertise for them with a little bribe; get your buddy to reactivate get a character boosted to level 80. While this may have had some success, how much will it really do to save the companies cash cow from continuing to bleed subscriptions? Only time will truly tell.

So, what did metacritic users have to say about the new expansion?

"Poor design, poorly planned out, causal-ized skills, bad launch. This xpac will be the downfall of WoW. Crossrealm is interesting, however it's lead to camp-the-spawn world PVP. Piles of bones at spawn and portal points. The expansion quests - mobbed with players trying to do "spawns once every 10 minutes" destroyable objects. Severe bottleneck quests that have long cinematic scenes, and require certain objects to be destroyed. Seriously, you'd think blizzard - with hundreds of millions in revenue, near a decade of running an MMO ... would they know how to design and run one? It's falling apart, it's like they want to destroy it. I didn't think there could be a step down from Cata, but there IS. And Mists of Pandaria - is it. Don't buy it if you haven't bought it. It's bad." ~kyanwan Rating: 0

"Ok, I have to admit, I hated the game on day one, but that was because of technical problems that appear to have been resolved. I have played through all the zones and leveled from 85-90 and it's actually the best leveling experience in the franchise. Fun, not too hard, and full of stories. It's not that I like easy games, but the challenges come from end game pvp and pve content, and complicated quests that make you 5 minutes running from one end of the map to the other are just not compelling gameplay, regardless of the game. I hate it when it happens in GTA, and I hate it in MMO's" ~subbed Rating: 10

"Blizzard creates good games. But at some point in the last 5 yeas they stopped caring for the playerbase and instead are only thinking profit and money. MOP is not a bad expansion per say. But its just not good enough in terms of 10 million subscriber based game that should be delivering content regularly and with full focus on improving every aspect of the game. Blizzard is not doing that. For the last 5 years most of the money they got for WOW has gone into other games they are making and WOW is suffering because of it. It has been left to rot - just like 8 months of last raiding tier in Cata goes to show. They didn't even have an active Live content crew on the game to keep the subscribers intrested. Instead they created Annual pass so ppl could SUB for MOP beta. Just bad all around. Im playing and leveling - but the bitterness of how BLizzard is doing their buisness these days is hard to swallow." ~deadalon Rating: 5

So there is a bad, a good, and an OK rating, although as you look through the user ratings, the majority are much more on the bad side. The ratings as of this writing are 225 positive, 15 "mixed" 310 negative. All in all, more players have mixed and negative feelings about the new expansion that good. Many players seem to be upset with further "casualization" of the game, over simplification of many aspects, and tend to show an overall fatigue. While World of Warcraft has had eight years of glory, it may finally be winding down to being a memory.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
join:2010-01-07
Evans, GA

Immer

Premium Member

there is a lot more motivation for posting a bad review than a good one.

The first quote, "Poor design, poorly planned out, causal-ized skills, bad launch. This xpac will be the downfall of WoW..." identifies the poster as a lost-cause. Probably someone who had every intention of not liking MoP because he was fed up with Cataclysm.

The second person probably felt he couldn't share negative views because of all of the negativity already posted. So he kept his input light and positive.

the last quote is similar to the first. He's commenting on things he cannot possibly know to try to justify an opinion he isn't sure of or cannot properly describe. He's just like the first guy... only he blames blizzard for neglect rather than intentionally torpedoing the game.

Skittles
Premium Member
join:2011-03-31

Skittles

Premium Member

I think those are fair statements Immer (yours I mean). I think a lot of folks post bad metacrtic reviews because a) they can b) they tend to hop on bandwagons c)have a preconceived idea before posting a "fair" review.
But, I was posting that as more of a response to Snuff's statement about MoP "Those that dislike it are in the minority". I think reviews on a lot of sites have pointed to fair critcisms, and most have been repeated on this board. My honest opinion is I think that this is a lazy expansion, the storyline is not as strong as other xpacs, the poor design decision about factions rep/scant VPs, numerous dailies to me feel like a cheap way of gating or slowing down content. Pet battles feel "tacked on", when I do them I dont feel like Im playing WoW, it feels like Blizzard gave us Bejeweled in a Pokemon package. I have other thoughts about this xpac, mostly things Ive said many times before, so I'll stop. Suffice it to say I am disappointed with this xpac.

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
join:2009-01-07
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone

Premium Member

I tend to follow Metacritic reviews on my game purchases. Most have been spot on.

It's pretty bad when a brand new WoW expansion only musters an 83/100 from the actual Critic reviews.

I'm not bagging on the game, but you guys have to admit at some point, something is clearly wrong. And people do have some legitimate gripes.

Mike
Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA
·Verizon FiOS

Mike to Immer

Mod

to Immer
Cataclysm was a piece of shit. The focus was on content 90% of your player base finished. The content is ok but it's a giant cluster fuck.

The rest was as if AOL met Walmart met Nerf met a Rubber Room.

That's stupid.

The leveling experience is better but no one cares. Besides, you can bypass all that with heirloom gear so what's the point?

Now it's "well how much time do you have?" It's the grand marshal / high warlord grind all over again. Blizzard admitted that was a mistake and they won't do it again.

Oops.

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium Member
Milwaukee, WI

Snuffbox

Premium Member

said by Mike:

The leveling experience is better but no one cares. Besides, you can bypass all that with heirloom gear so what's the point?

Heirlooms only go to 85 so....
said by Mike:

Now it's "well how much time do you have?"

It... doesn't have to be? Dailies are absolutely ignorable. You have a desire to increase your character, gold, achievements which is what keeps you doing dailies. Sorry Blizzard doesn't hand it to you because you're so 1337.
said by Mike:

The rest was as if AOL met Walmart met Nerf met a Rubber Room.

Please explain your genious solution for balancing the game not being too easy, but also not being a grind?

In my inexperienced and uneducated opinion, gear needs progression. Remember those dungeons you went into as a fresh level 90 that were reasonably difficult and made you drink inbetween trash pulls? Now you have gear and don't have to do that.

Progression = MMO.

Ignorant people unable to see both sides of the equation.

Don't play this game, it's not for you.

TL:DR
Waaaaaaaa - Blizzard didn't give me free epics.
Waaaaaaaa - Blizzard gave me free epics.

Mike
Mod
Pittsburgh, PA
·Verizon FiOS

Mike

Mod

Do 25H with all 346 and get your dignity handed to you.

You need that 376 (or whatever) and we were lucky with the Darkmoon Faire for the trinkets which is BiS for just about DD casters for the tier.

Celestials, GL, and Klaxxi are just about REQUIRED for progression. You get unlocks. I will argue Tillers too for the expanded farmville space for your pink turnips and the 100 Yr Old Soy Sauce.

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium Member
Milwaukee, WI

Snuffbox

Premium Member

Exactly. This can be as hard or easy as you make it.

Challenge modes are exciting, difficult, and fun - give that a try.

Stop the daily grind if you don't like it. I don't do them, I've done zero and haven't suffered anything.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
join:2010-01-07
Evans, GA

Immer to Ghastlyone

Premium Member

to Ghastlyone
said by Ghastlyone:

...and people do have some legitimate gripes.

and we've been discussing these gripes in plenty of threads... without giving up on the game. I'm glad metacritic works for you. All I see is people choosing to jump ship and rationalizing that choice as they need to. Why can't someone just quit without blaming Blizzard of doing things they know nothing about?

I'm cool with legitimate gripes (I have some myself) presented in an intelligent manner. What most people end up doing is impersonating a mentally retarded teenager so as to imply that that the target of their ire is retarded... in the end, though... everyone just looks dumb and everyone walks away feeling dirty and offended.

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium Member
Milwaukee, WI

Snuffbox to Mike

Premium Member

to Mike
YOU, don't have to do it.

You can grind it out your way, get your conquest and buy your gear.

You can pay for your enchants at a premium because you were unwilling to do the work.

This is again my point. Those that worked hard are being rewarded right now selling Belt Buckles for an ungodly price because very few before them had ground out the rep yet.

Tough, I didn't do it and wouldn't change my mind, so I spend more gold.

Seriously, where'd the entitlement come from? You have to earn it, this game would suck #$(&# if everything was given to everyone.

There'd be no AH drive, no comparison, no difference in gear. Silly.

quatra
Premium Member
join:2003-06-22
Matthews, NC

quatra to Ghastlyone

Premium Member

to Ghastlyone
said by Ghastlyone:

said by Snuffbox:

Based on what? Trade chat banter?
said by Snuffbox:

Read Metacritic reviews of MoP lately? LOL

There's clearly issues with this game, and it's getting progressively worse.

I read the Metacritic review of cataclysm - 4.5 stars/90%. MoP is dramatically better than cataclysm.

Mike
Mod
Pittsburgh, PA

Mike

Mod

MoP is a hell of a lot better than cataclysm.

There's just a lot of forced grind if you want to compete.

Gork
Ou812ic
join:2001-10-06
Bountiful, UT

Gork to Snuffbox

to Snuffbox
said by Snuffbox:

Though not as successful as other WoW expansions.
»venturebeat.com/2012/10/ ··· ansions/

I realize the discussion has moved on beyond this but after reading the entire thread I wanted to add my two cents anyway.