Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1
reply to Savious

Re: Professional gaming

I think they will take off at some point, I mean really we have Poker on ESPN. And if a bunch of guys playing cards is sports enough for ESPN than why should professional gaming not be? Poker and Starcraft 2/LOL/CS are no different, It is a bunch of people sitting around playing a game for money.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
reply to Savious

I think there are a lot of bifurcations (false dichotomies) in this thread. This isn't about TV vs. online, or games vs. sports (which in terms of definitions are identical in the meanings intended here).

This is about physical games versus virtual games, regardless of medium.

Physical games, or testing your strength against another's, has been around since time immemorial. You have Greco-Roman wrestling, gladiators, tournaments, and the Olympics. Physical competition has been hard-coded into our genetics.

The technology to enable virtual competition has only come about in the past three decades. It will grow in popularity, with time, but be hampered by attraction (physically fit people = sex = marketing = money) and its own technology (watch the movie Gamer, it's always easier to cheat when computer programs and networks are involved--you even saw that in the LoL play-offs).

You could make the argument that defining this in terms of physical vs. virtual is too narrow, and that virtual games are just an extension of other non-physical games already in existence (chess being the most organized). If so, that doesn't bode well for virtual games, because chess has also been around for just under a thousand years and still has a niche following in terms of visibility.

In that sense, it's an interesting competition to watch, but the more complex you make the game, the fewer fans you'll get.
--
If we lose this freedom of ours, history will record with the greatest astonishment, those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
Mullica Hill, NJ
reply to Savious

Physical games are rooted in the human love of violence too. Say what you will about us becoming more advanced as a culture, But I can say with 100% certainty that if someone had gladiators fighting to the death at the Meadowlands it would be sold out and the PPV would be the biggest PPV in history.

This is why UFC/MMA is so popular, People do not care about martial arts they buy the PPV to see two guys beat the shit out of each other in a cage.
--

Goggalor
Psychonaut
Premium
join:2009-06-09
Your Mind!
kudos:2

said by Kearnstd:

This is why UFC/MMA is so popular, People do not care about martial arts they buy the PPV to see two guys hit each other once then grope--err, grapple in a cage.

Fixed that for ya.

TheThing

join:2012-08-10
reply to Savious

There's nothing homo-erotic about video games.

Therefore, physical games will always trump soft games.

Chess has been around for long time, physical games will always trump chess. Because chess isn't homo-erotic.

Who would you rather bang, fat gamer chick? Or in shape tennis chick?

ePeen? How about real Peen? Women like to S real Peen over ePeen any day.

f0rtys3ven

join:2011-09-01
Lansing, MI

^ can't get over the fact some people may game and not disregard their bodies.

People these days.

TheThing

10+ hours of SC a day means either fat with no muscles, or skinny with no muscles

and thats how much these guys do a day with gaming

TheThing

reply to Savious

like it or not, we are more sexual beings than intellectual beings

and it sure is easier to be sexual/physical than intellectual!

this is what drives sports, at least in our culture

every commercial, has T+A bouncing all over the field, or advertisement

someone beats you in an eSport? you then go over and tackle them... how'd ya like me now?

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5
reply to Savious

Ever watch any of the Blizzcon coverage?

Bunch of fuckin fatasses up in there.

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
Mullica Hill, NJ

1 recommendation

reply to TheThing

that is because current culture if flawed to think brawn matters more than brains. Usually the women go for the jock, then he beats her in a drunk rage after losing a game, they divorce and she ends up with a programmer and a happier life.
--

TheThing

reply to Savious

great movie, you need to watch:

THE EDGE - with anthony hopkins

brains > brawn

great movie about survival

f0rtys3ven

join:2011-09-01
Lansing, MI
reply to Kearnstd

This.

I AM
Premium
join:2010-04-11
Ephrata, PA
kudos:4
reply to TheThing

said by TheThing:

like it or not, we are more sexual beings than intellectual beings

I'm going to think this one over. Should I delete you off my skype? Haha J/k bro. I need to get back on GW2 man.

TheThing

brah... Guardian + Greatsword = OP

it's Rtarded...

3 = gap closer
5 = death grip (ummm you already gave guardian a gap closer!)
2 = aoe spin to win (OP officially)
4 = your own personal secure area
6 = I choose the heal that blocks (wtf! OP again!)
F1 = instant dot
F2 = another heal? wtf really?
F3 = instant block? wtf... as if guardian really needed it

leveling mine as quickly as the wife allows

I AM
Premium
Ephrata, PA

WTF! I NEED TO GET BACK ON! I quit my guardian at 65. Ranger is almost 50. Back on topic.

Virtual gaming has a long time to catch up. TV is still way more popular than the internet. For us who use computers a lot and have friends that do it may not seem like it but there are a lot of rural places in this United States of A.

Cheese
Premium
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL
reply to Savious

It's not a "sport"....

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
reply to TheThing

said by TheThing:

Chess has been around for long time, physical games will always trump chess. Because chess isn't homo-erotic.

Who would you rather bang, fat gamer chick? Or in shape tennis chick?

ePeen? How about real Peen? Women like to S real Peen over ePeen any day.

You keep using that word
--
If we lose this freedom of ours, history will record with the greatest astonishment, those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

TheThing

yah, I don't think people know what it means...

When I watch gamers, it doesn't make me wish I was them... cause they get a lot of pussad

Gronk on the other hand.. he's bangin every hot blonde out there

I AM
Premium
Ephrata, PA
reply to Cheese

said by Cheese:

It's not a "sport"....

Dang..../thread

Savious
Premium
join:2012-03-05
Belgrade, MT
reply to TheThing

said by TheThing:

What. The. Fuck.
--
Jobbie told me to keep my signature the same. This is me rebelling.

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
Mullica Hill, NJ
reply to TheThing

Whos Gronk? sounds like a good name for an Orc.

Savious
Premium
Belgrade, MT

Tight end for the new England patriots, I believe.

Savious
Premium
Belgrade, MT
reply to Savious

The Thing. Please go to dictionary.com and look up homo erotic, then fix yourself, ffs.
--
Jobbie told me to keep my signature the same. This is me rebelling.

TheThing

dude... why do you think men like to watch men bending over, flopping all over each other?

it's because subconsciously they know those athletic men are getting laid by hot chicks... and wish they were them

has nothing to do with being homosexual derp

Savious
Premium
Belgrade, MT

What the fuck did I just read?

TheThing

look at football dude... guys in tights... running around, smothering each other

logically, what straight male in their right mind would want to watch that?

they watch it, because those athletic males get hot females... hence people want to be them...

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
join:2001-11-26
Earth
kudos:19

I think you are relatively alone in your thoughts. I never once had a homo-erotic fantasy while watching sports. I may think some of those dudes could be gay for slapping themselves on the ass, but I don't see what you see.
--
A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -MLK

TheThing

that's why it's subconscious

cheerleaders? commercials with T+A?

alpha males running around the field in tights...

think back to high school football... your team wins, the cheerleaders run out onto the field to the team!

come on!

I'm not making this up, psychology from college

nerdy gamers in eSports don't make you subconsciously think about hot women! because nerdy gamers don't get hot women!

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
Mullica Hill, NJ
reply to TheThing

they do not get hot females because they are athletic, They get them because they a filthy rich. Want proof? those crust old stock brokers with hundreds of millions get hot chicks too.

Shallow women who just happen to be hot are attracted to money. If a pro gamer was raking in eight figures they could get those same hot chicks as long as they where willing to shower her with a new lexus every ear and designer clothing worth more than most make in a year.
--

TheThing

The money thing is legit... but right now I don't think most women, when they think of a gamer, think they are rich

My only points were, physical sports will always trump eSports because

#1 - Pro sports have been around for 50+ years, everyone knows them, eSports, the games have a lifespan of max 10 years tops?

#2 - Pro sports have physical athletes... eSports have mental athletes? Chicks for the most part dig brawn, not brain.