spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Cordelia0704
join:2012-10-22
Little Falls, NJ

Cordelia0704

[OOL] Streaming to Xbox from PC over OOL Wireless Network - Help

I used to have Verizon Fios, and I had no problem streaming content from from PC to my Xbox. Now I have OOL, and I can't even get my xbox onto my network, much less stream content to it from my PC. Does anyone know how to accomplish this?

limegrass69
No Whammies
join:2008-05-28

limegrass69

Re: [OOL] Streaming to Xbox from PC over OOL Wireless Network -

Sounds like you have an issue with your network's router configuration...as opposed to a problem with your Internet service. Tell us about your network setup and we can try to help you out.
Cordelia0704
Little Falls, NJ

Cordelia0704

Its possible I don't know enough to answer that question. I have the modem and router cablevision gave me, they set up my wireless network, I run windows 7. I'm not sure if the problem is my pc, the xbox or the network. Its very frustrating. If this is the wrong information or not enough, let me know what you need, and I'll post when I get home from work.
Thanks

Jeff
Connoisseur of leisurely things
Premium Member
join:2002-12-24
GMT -5

Jeff

Premium Member

said by Cordelia0704:

Its possible I don't know enough to answer that question. I have the modem and router cablevision gave me, they set up my wireless network, I run windows 7. I'm not sure if the problem is my pc, the xbox or the network. Its very frustrating. If this is the wrong information or not enough, let me know what you need, and I'll post when I get home from work.
Thanks

Your Windows 7 PC- is it connected to the router with a wire, or is it wireless? Is it connected and working properly?

Do you have your wireless router's setup information handy, and if you do, have you double checked the settings within the Xbox to tell it the proper wireless network password and so forth?
Cordelia0704
Little Falls, NJ

Cordelia0704

Your Windows 7 PC- is it connected to the router with a wire, or is it wireless? Is it connected and working properly?

Do you have your wireless router's setup information handy, and if you do, have you double checked the settings within the Xbox to tell it the proper wireless network password and so forth?

I don't have the information handy because I"m at work, but I can get it when I go home. I have checked it against what's on my xbox before though and they match. I have tried both wired and wireless and I get the same result, which is no connectivity.
Cordelia0704

Cordelia0704 to Jeff

to Jeff
ok I'm home, what network settings do we need?

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

First, clarify how everything is hooked up. Is your computer wired to the router or wireless? Is the xbox wireless or wired?

If both are wireless, does the network name on the PC match the one on the xbox?
Cordelia0704
Little Falls, NJ

Cordelia0704

right now both are wired and the network matches

Thinkdiff
MVM,
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

If they're both wired, there shouldn't be any issues. Can the Xbox sign into Xbox Live?

It's been a long time since I've used my xbox, but i remember having to go into the system settings and add my computer there before it showed up in the Videos tab. Did you do that step since getting the new router?
Cordelia0704
Little Falls, NJ

Cordelia0704

Several times, but I can try it again

Thinkdiff
MVM,
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

Might be silly, but who knows.. Could be worth it to go through these instructions step by step just to make sure:

»support.xbox.com/en-US/x ··· se/media

Even though the Xbox is connected via ethernet, are the settings also set to use wired instead of wireless? (same question for your PC, if it has wireless)
Cordelia0704
Little Falls, NJ

Cordelia0704

they are both set to wired. windows media center says its can't find my xbox, and my xbox says it can't find my computer.
TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
MVM
join:2002-07-04
East Stroudsburg, PA

TheWiseGuy to Cordelia0704

MVM

to Cordelia0704
said by Cordelia0704:

I can't even get my xbox onto my network

Start with steps 1 and 2 in the following

»support.xbox.com/en-US/x ··· ng/wired

If you still get a connection error follow the link at the end of step 2 which I have pasted below

»support.xbox.com/xbox-li ··· e-wizard
Cordelia0704
Little Falls, NJ

Cordelia0704

it still can't find my computer or and my computer still can't find the xbox
Cordelia0704

Cordelia0704

I don't think the issue is my xbox, I think its optimum or the router or something
frdrizzt
join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY

1 edit

frdrizzt

I don't have an xbox, so I don't know if it's like the PS3 & PS2 were, but I had run into issues with DNS servers not being automatically obtained by the console from the router. If there were a problem with Optimum Online & Xbox, you can be sure that there would be a lot of people talking about it, not just you.

If you plug the Xbox directly into the modem, and reboot the modem, can you see if you can get online with the Xbox? If not, if you plug the router back in (again, rebooting the modem), and apply static DNS and/or IP settings to the Xbox, is it able to get online? You can copy the default gateway, subnet mask, and DNS servers from a connected PC, and assign a different IP address that is not used by any wired or wireless device.

edit: I misread, and thought you were talking about connecting to xbox live. My bad.
TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
MVM
East Stroudsburg, PA

MVM

to Cordelia0704
1. It has nothing to do with the OOL Network or anything they are doing since connecting your Xbox to your computer never connects to the OOL Network.

2. It could be the configuration of your router but if you can connect to the Internet with your Xbox and with the PC via the router it is less likely. If it is a configuration problem with the router, you will need to access the router's configuration pages.

Do you have a firewall on your computer?
Cordelia0704
Little Falls, NJ

Cordelia0704

I do have a firewall but I shut it off after reading one of the xbox help pages, it doesn't seem to have made a difference. I can get into my router via the browser, I just don't know what to do once I'm there.
TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
MVM
East Stroudsburg, PA

TheWiseGuy

MVM

Were you able to access Xbox live in step 2 of the first link I posted?
Cordelia0704
Little Falls, NJ

Cordelia0704

I can access xbox live and the internet. The xbox can't find my computer, and my computer can't find my xbox.
TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
MVM
East Stroudsburg, PA

TheWiseGuy

MVM

I'll be busy until later today(after 6pm). At that point I will try and help if no one comes along before then. Until then you can try a couple of things,

If you have not, in media center go into settings and click add extender. See if that helps to set it up.

If that does not work, check the IP of the Xbox and try pinging it from the computer.

jaa
Premium Member
join:2000-06-13

jaa to Cordelia0704

Premium Member

to Cordelia0704
The router should have very little to do with the connection between your computer and xbox. The router is actually a router and switch combined, and "most" routers do not do anything that inhibits connections between two devices on your LAN. Any security is usually between the LAN and internet, though some also have some security/isolation between the wired and wireless LAN.

But since both your devices are wired, it is unlikely the router is blocking anything. It certainly seems like a firewall on the computer, but it seems odd that eveything worked when you have a router from Verizon FiOS, and changing the router to the one from Optimum stopped them from working.

If I understand, both the xbox and computer are wired to the router.
Both the xbox and computer can get to the internet.

As wiseguy suggested, see if you can "ping" the xbox from the computer.
Cordelia0704
Little Falls, NJ

Cordelia0704 to TheWiseGuy

to TheWiseGuy
I did try adding the extender in media center, which is how I know my computer can't find my xbox. I had like 12 different codes from trying so much, it never once detected it.

I will try to ping the box when I get home in an hour or so.

Don't think I've said it yet but I really do appreciate all the help trying to fix this frustrating issue!
Cordelia0704

Cordelia0704 to jaa

to jaa
said by jaa:

The router should have very little to do with the connection between your computer and xbox. The router is actually a router and switch combined, and "most" routers do not do anything that inhibits connections between two devices on your LAN. Any security is usually between the LAN and internet, though some also have some security/isolation between the wired and wireless LAN.

But since both your devices are wired, it is unlikely the router is blocking anything. It certainly seems like a firewall on the computer, but it seems odd that eveything worked when you have a router from Verizon FiOS, and changing the router to the one from Optimum stopped them from working.

If I understand, both the xbox and computer are wired to the router.
Both the xbox and computer can get to the internet.

As wiseguy suggested, see if you can "ping" the xbox from the computer.

When I had verizon, the modem and router were one device, now its 2 devices and its dhcp which I didn't use on verizon, so I'm not sure if that's messing it up, or causing a communication problem, or what, but its incredibly frustrating when suddenly you can't do something you could so easily do before.

I'm trying to remember what ip showed up on my xbox last night, I'm worried it may be the routers ip address, which I think is probably not supposed to be what shows up.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

said by Cordelia0704:

When I had verizon, the modem and router were one device, now its 2 devices and its dhcp which I didn't use on verizon, so I'm not sure if that's messing it up, or causing a communication problem, or what, but its incredibly frustrating when suddenly you can't do something you could so easily do before.

If you didn't use the Verizon router's DHCP server, then how did you assign IP addresses? Statically? If so, you should set everything back to DHCP.

BTW, Verizon's box is just a router - not a modem/router
TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
MVM
East Stroudsburg, PA

MVM

to Cordelia0704
Try going into the router and turning on UPnP.
Cordelia0704
Little Falls, NJ

Cordelia0704

UPnP is already on
Cordelia0704

Cordelia0704 to Thinkdiff

to Thinkdiff
said by Thinkdiff:

said by Cordelia0704:

If you didn't use the Verizon router's DHCP server, then how did you assign IP addresses? Statically? If so, you should set everything back to DHCP.

BTW, Verizon's box is just a router - not a modem/router

I honestly have no idea, I plugged it in and it worked

Thinkdiff
MVM,
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

Then you were using DHCP with Verizon, too.

Check the IP address, gateway and subnet mask of both your PC and Xbox and post there results here. Maybe there's a clue there.

But I'm guessing it's an issue with a firewall (some don't turn completely off unless you uninstall them).
Cordelia0704
Little Falls, NJ

Cordelia0704

for the xbox
dns is 192.168.1.11
subnet mask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.1.1 (which is the same as the router so that's right)

wireless ipv4 address is 192.168.1.5

Ethernet wired ipv4 address is 192.168.1.2

Subnet and gateway are the same for all