join:2001-12-15
Harrison Township, MI
kudos:7
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·WOW Internet and..

[F@H] PS3 Play Station ending F@H

»folding.typepad.com/news/2012/10···ing.html

PS3 System Software Update (v4.30) - Next Tuesday, October 23rd, Sony will be releasing a new system software update for PlayStation 3

»blog.us.playstation.com/2012/10/···e-v4-30/

quote:
By the beginning of November 2012, we will retire the services available through the Life with PlayStation application. In conjunction with its retirement, we will stop offering the Life with PlayStation application to new users with the 4.30 update. This includes the conclusion of our participation with Stanford University’s Folding@home, a distributed computing project aimed at understanding protein folding, misfolding and studying the causes of a variety of diseases such as Parkinson’s, Alzheimer’s as well as various cancers.

We’d like to thank the more than 15 million users that have participated in the program since it started on PS3 in 2007. PS3 users have donated in total more than 100 million computation hours to the Folding@home project to date, and as a result, contributing greatly to Stanford University’s Alzheimer ’s disease research. Considering the contribution PS3 has made to the project, we decided to retire it as a result of discussions with Stanford University.

--
Hello, my name is Bill and I'm a crunchaholic...

Proud to be hosting six Crunchenstein blades, and three Foldinator blades

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium
join:2002-08-06
Boothbay, ME
kudos:2

15 million users!
It isn't like no one is using it, so why do they feel they need to stop using it?

leibold
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
reply to parkut

What about PS3 users that aren't upgrading to 4.x versions of the software ?
I haven't upgraded the software on my PS3 in a long time in order to preserve the ability to run Linux on it. Will people like me be able to continue folding on the PS3 or is Stanford pulling the plug at the same time too ?
--
Got some spare cpu cycles ? Join Team Helix or Team Starfire!

suprleg
Abracadabra
Premium
join:2004-05-06
Cypress, CA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

First thing I thought of as well....don't upgrade. I haven't researched it, but from the links posted, it doesn't look like further PS3 wu's or support will be offered.

Sony will be rolling out a new PlayStation 3 firmware update tomorrow, October 23. Update 4.30 only brings a couple of changes. First, the Trophies section (for some reason) is moving from the games section of the XMB to the PSN section. Furthermore, Trophies earned on your PlayStation Vita will now also be displayed on the PS3.

Finally, Sony is retiring the Life with PlayStation service and, along with it, Folding@home. The Folding@home project, for those who don't recall, utilizes the idle processing power of personal computers and PlayStation 3 consoles to help further Stanford University disease research. Vijay Pande, Stanford's Folding@home research lead tells PlayStation Blog that the PS3 "was a game changer for Folding@home." The project, and by extension the contribution of PS3 users, has helped pave the way to "a new strategy to fight Alzheimer's disease" and potentially a viable drug.

Those who wish to continue (or begin) supporting Folding@home may still do so via Windows.

Kind of a sad day for me my PS3 has never stopped folding since 2007..
--
Team Discovery
Team Helix

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-21
reply to parkut

duplice post

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to parkut

said by parkut:

»folding.typepad.com/news/2012/10···ing.html

PS3 System Software Update (v4.30) - Next Tuesday, October 23rd, Sony will be releasing a new system software update for PlayStation 3

»blog.us.playstation.com/2012/10/···e-v4-30/

quote:
By the beginning of November 2012, we will retire the services available through the Life with PlayStation application. In conjunction with its retirement, we will stop offering the Life with PlayStation application to new users with the 4.30 update. This includes the conclusion of our participation with Stanford University’s Folding@home, a distributed computing project aimed at understanding protein folding, misfolding and studying the causes of a variety of diseases such as Parkinson’s, Alzheimer’s as well as various cancers.

We’d like to thank the more than 15 million users that have participated in the program since it started on PS3 in 2007. PS3 users have donated in total more than 100 million computation hours to the Folding@home project to date, and as a result, contributing greatly to Stanford University’s Alzheimer ’s disease research. Considering the contribution PS3 has made to the project, we decided to retire it as a result of discussions with Stanford University.

over 1,500gigawatt hours used Thats alot of power and green house gases.
--
Well, does your car at least turn into something else? Sometimes I turn it into a trashcan. Hmm...

leibold
Premium,MVM
Sunnyvale, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET

said by Anonymous_:

said by parkut:

quote:
PS3 users have donated in total more than 100 million computation hours to the Folding@home project to date

over 1,500gigawatt hours used

How do you get from 100 million computation hours to 1,500 gigawatt hours ?
That would require each PS3 to consume 15000 watt (continuously) while running Folding@Home. At 120V (I realize outside of the US a PS3 may run on 220-240V) that would be a 125A current which far exceeds the 15A limit for the outlet.
--

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

said by leibold:

How do you get from 100 million computation hours to 1,500 gigawatt hours ?
That would require each PS3 to consume 15000 watt (continuously) while running Folding@Home. At 120V (I realize outside of the US a PS3 may run on 220-240V) that would be a 125A current which far exceeds the 15A limit for the outlet.

sorry that only counts for Team PS3 that 100 million computation hours

more then likey it's way higher then 100million

More like 300 million+ computation hours counting.

plus i was counting desktops/video cards and super computers as well

Black_Mage
Premium
join:2012-09-12
USA
kudos:1
reply to parkut

Dang it. I just joined not too long ago. I justified the cost of getting the Playstation 3 with this project.

leibold
Premium,MVM
Sunnyvale, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
reply to parkut

said by parkut:

quote:
By the beginning of November 2012, we will retire the services available through the Life with PlayStation application. In conjunction with its retirement, we will stop offering the Life with PlayStation application to new users with the 4.30 update.

No longer offering something to new users is not quite the same as shutting off existing users. Neither the Sony nor the Pande Group statements are clear on what the future holds for those who are currently folding on the PS3.

It wouldn't surprise me if this is intentional (at least on the Pande Group side) to see how much of a computing platform they are left with after the upgrade becomes available. There would be no point in creating new projects for the PS3 platform if the number of participants drops too low but there is also the possibility that a large number of those PS3 systems keep running as is without any upgrade. In that case it would remain a viable platform for Folding@Home for some time to come.

For now it appears that new workunits are still being assigned to my PS3.
--

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium
Boothbay, ME
reply to parkut

Aren't these updates required?

It may not be required for the PS3 to operate, but I have found that 3rd party software (Netflix for example) sometimes requires an update to the OS.

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium
Boothbay, ME
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Black_Mage

said by Black_Mage:

Dang it. I just joined not too long ago. I justified the cost of getting the Playstation 3 with this project.

That is the primary reason why I bought a PS3..

leibold
Premium,MVM
Sunnyvale, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
reply to Dominokat

said by Dominokat:

Aren't these updates required?

There have been PS3 software upgrades in the past that were prerequisite to Folding@Home software upgrades but there have been none such for a long time.

Support for OtherOS (especially Linux) was removed in version 3.21. Mine is still running version 3.15 which is the last version with support for the OtherOS feature. It is processing PS3 workunits just fine today.
--

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium
Boothbay, ME
reply to parkut

So, we loose F@H if we upgrade the OS. What else do we loose?
Do we gain anything?

Black_Mage
Premium
USA

1 recommendation

reply to parkut

My Playstation is still getting work units.

Black_Mage
Premium
USA
reply to parkut

Great. I can't use the Netflix application and god knows what else just because I refuse to update. Either I live with a crippled Playstation or I loose a folding@home machine.

leibold
Premium,MVM
Sunnyvale, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
reply to parkut

It looks as if the Pande group already pulled the plug on the PS3 project

My last PS3 workunit was credited yesterday. Today within Live with Playstation I still get news and weather updates but Folding@Home no longer connects to the servers at Stanford. It didn't even get to upload the last result
--

Black_Mage
Premium
USA

1 edit

1 recommendation

I got the finished work unit uploaded by restarting the app. I can't connect to download anymore though. I hate to think the Playstation will never be utilized like that again by any other project. What a waste.

ct_mike
Premium
join:2006-09-29
Hamden, CT
reply to parkut

I was able to get one more unit yesterday afternoon, but that was it. It is very hit or miss the past couple of days.

Sad to see this resource go.

leibold
Premium,MVM
Sunnyvale, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to Black_Mage

said by Black_Mage:

I got the finished work unit uploaded by restarting the app.

That seems to have worked for the upload, but I don't see it being credited in the stats.

said by Black_Mage:

What a waste.

Agreed.

Edit: I just saw in the stats that I did finally get credit for a PS3 workunit. I'll have to check later whether or not I also received a new workunit for processing (I did leave the PS3 running in case it is just a temporary problem).

--

thegeek
Premium
join:2008-02-21
right here

1 recommendation

reply to parkut

My PS3 rarely gets used for anything other than folding so I hadn't looked at it in a while. Until last night I decided to play a game. I saw that an update was available, and not knowing any better, I installed it and then learned about the end of folding on the PS3. So, for the first time in almost 2 years, I actually shut off my PS3 when I was done playing the game. My living room was much quieter! Still, I'd rather it still be folding.

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium
Boothbay, ME
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

That happened to me also. My PS3 no longer is folding and it was my only folder. I bought it specifically for that a few years ago. Now I need to find an alternative. But that won't happen soon until I get my finances in order.

thegeek
Premium
join:2008-02-21
right here

I have my desktop computer folding but it is 3 years old and doesn't have the greatest output. And I can never get GPU folding to work for longer than a few weeks before it starts erroring out constantly. I used to fold on my laptops but they ran too hot.

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium
Boothbay, ME
reply to parkut

Since there where so many users, I wonder if there is any/much out cry from them about ending the service? If so, would they bring it back?

suprleg
Abracadabra
Premium
Cypress, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

From tom's hardware:
"The PS3 supported protein folding simulations over the past five years as part of an effort to find cures for medical conditions such as Alzheimer's Disease, or Type II Diabetes. Back in 2007, when the program was introduced on PlayStation, the game console offered tremendous floating point processing power to drive Folding@Home simulations, but developments have given new GPUs the lead. Statistically, the PS3 is ranked well behind the performance capability of ATI and Nvidia graphics processors. At FAHcon 2012, scientists published some numbers showing just how far computing performance has come since the project's beginnings."

It Appears that the current PS3 just doesn't have enough computing power compared to the latest processors. Funny, work units are still offered for my 1.33 T-bird....go figure. Perhaps next year when the PS4 makes it debut, assuming the $600+ price tag isn't an issue, F@H will once again be offered.
--
Team Discovery
Team Helix

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium
Boothbay, ME
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

Well that kind of stinks.
However, why then are people still able to run F@H on very slow desktops? Ie; I have a Windows machine I don't use much that, if I installed F@H on it, it would produce MAYBE 200pts every couple of days? (I don't install F@H on it for that reason and it bogs down what little CPU power it has for anything else.)
The PS3 is much faster then that giving about 1200pts per day. Still pretty fast in comparison.

suprleg
Abracadabra
Premium
Cypress, CA

Hopefully F@H won't be used as a marketing tool when the PS4's are available, I'd find that completely contrary to what the Project means to me.

Black_Mage
Premium
USA
reply to parkut

So they're of no use to them because they're no longer the fastest gadget on the block? Geeze.

matcheydj

join:2010-10-07
Helotes, TX
reply to suprleg

I'd like to see a client in the new Playstation Store for F@H if they can work something out, like a little standalone app. My PS3 now has nothing to do when I'm not playing games on it

Mike
Premium,Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA
reply to parkut

so uh... anyone want to buy a PS3?