Premium Member
join:2008-02-21
right here

1 recommendation

thegeek to parkut

Premium Member

to parkut

Re: [F@H] PS3 Play Station ending F@H

My PS3 rarely gets used for anything other than folding so I hadn't looked at it in a while. Until last night I decided to play a game. I saw that an update was available, and not knowing any better, I installed it and then learned about the end of folding on the PS3. So, for the first time in almost 2 years, I actually shut off my PS3 when I was done playing the game. My living room was much quieter! Still, I'd rather it still be folding.

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium Member
join:2002-08-06
Boothbay, ME

Dominokat

Premium Member

That happened to me also. My PS3 no longer is folding and it was my only folder. I bought it specifically for that a few years ago. Now I need to find an alternative. But that won't happen soon until I get my finances in order.

thegeek
Premium Member
join:2008-02-21
right here

thegeek

Premium Member

I have my desktop computer folding but it is 3 years old and doesn't have the greatest output. And I can never get GPU folding to work for longer than a few weeks before it starts erroring out constantly. I used to fold on my laptops but they ran too hot.

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium Member
Boothbay, ME

Dominokat to parkut

Premium Member

to parkut
Since there where so many users, I wonder if there is any/much out cry from them about ending the service? If so, would they bring it back?

suprleg
Abracadabra
Premium Member
join:2004-05-06
Garden Grove, CA
·Charter
Hitron E31N2V1

suprleg

Premium Member

From tom's hardware:
"The PS3 supported protein folding simulations over the past five years as part of an effort to find cures for medical conditions such as Alzheimer's Disease, or Type II Diabetes. Back in 2007, when the program was introduced on PlayStation, the game console offered tremendous floating point processing power to drive Folding@Home simulations, but developments have given new GPUs the lead. Statistically, the PS3 is ranked well behind the performance capability of ATI and Nvidia graphics processors. At FAHcon 2012, scientists published some numbers showing just how far computing performance has come since the project's beginnings."

It Appears that the current PS3 just doesn't have enough computing power compared to the latest processors. Funny, work units are still offered for my 1.33 T-bird....go figure. Perhaps next year when the PS4 makes it debut, assuming the $600+ price tag isn't an issue, F@H will once again be offered.

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium Member
Boothbay, ME

Dominokat

Premium Member

Well that kind of stinks.
However, why then are people still able to run F@H on very slow desktops? Ie; I have a Windows machine I don't use much that, if I installed F@H on it, it would produce MAYBE 200pts every couple of days? (I don't install F@H on it for that reason and it bogs down what little CPU power it has for anything else.)
The PS3 is much faster then that giving about 1200pts per day. Still pretty fast in comparison.

suprleg
Abracadabra
Premium Member
join:2004-05-06
Garden Grove, CA

suprleg

Premium Member

Hopefully F@H won't be used as a marketing tool when the PS4's are available, I'd find that completely contrary to what the Project means to me.

Black_Mage
Premium Member
join:2012-09-12
USA

Black_Mage to parkut

Premium Member

to parkut
So they're of no use to them because they're no longer the fastest gadget on the block? Geeze.

matcheydj
join:2010-10-07
Helotes, TX

matcheydj to suprleg

to suprleg
I'd like to see a client in the new Playstation Store for F@H if they can work something out, like a little standalone app. My PS3 now has nothing to do when I'm not playing games on it

Mike
Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA

Mike to parkut

Mod

to parkut
so uh... anyone want to buy a PS3?

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium Member
Boothbay, ME

1 recommendation

Dominokat to parkut

Premium Member

to parkut
I don't even have my PS3 any more.
Out of the blue, a friend offered 225 dollars to buy it from me. His broke.

leibold
MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
Netgear CG3000DCR
ZyXEL P-663HN-51

1 recommendation

leibold to Mike

MVM

to Mike
Which model PS3 and what version of the operating system ?

The oldest PS3 models have hardware support for PS2 compatibility that may be valuable to a gamer that likes to play both PS2 and PS3 games.
PS3 models that haven't been upgraded to version 3.21 and beyond have value for those that want to run their own software on them and those who build Linux compute clusters (super computers) out of PS3 (Other OS feature).
Since neither features are available in new models anymore, if you can find an interested buyer you may be able to get more money for your PS3 then you paid originally for it.
Otherwise, pretty much all PS3 make a nice media player for your living room. The PS3 will play back DVD and Blue-Ray discs as well as Music, Pictures and Videos from media servers on your home network.

Jammy
Premium Member
join:2000-11-03
Pittsburg, CA

Jammy to parkut

Premium Member

to parkut
That is a big suck! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Jammy

p.s. How have you been Parkut?

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium Member
Boothbay, ME

1 recommendation

Dominokat to parkut

Premium Member

to parkut
So now I am (temporarily) not folding.
Does that mean I can't play here any more?

leibold
MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
Netgear CG3000DCR
ZyXEL P-663HN-51

1 recommendation

leibold

MVM

said by Dominokat:

So now I am (temporarily) not folding.
Does that mean I can't play here any more?

said by "Folding@Home" :

107 Dominokat 1105193 4397

Don't worry, seems to me your credit is good here

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium Member
Boothbay, ME

1 recommendation

Dominokat

Premium Member

Dominokat

1 recommendation

Dominokat to parkut

Premium Member

to parkut
I bought a new computer for folding.

jaynick
lit up
Premium Member
join:2001-02-06
Sterling Heights, MI

jaynick

Premium Member

said by Dominokat:

I bought a new computer for folding.

Which client are you going to use?

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT

Subaru to parkut

Premium Member

to parkut
I'm pissed over this because while I did fold over the PS3 I liked the news channel with the weather around the globe..

They got rid of everything...

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium Member
Boothbay, ME

Dominokat

Premium Member

said by Subaru:

I'm pissed over this because while I did fold over the PS3 I liked the news channel with the weather around the globe..

They got rid of everything...

I bought my PS3 originally because it supported F@H. Also because, at the time. It cost just as much as buying a stand alone blu-ray player.

As it was my dedicataded folding machine, and it stopped. I am no longer contributing to F@H.

I am working on alternatives so I can continue. Such as adding a F@H capable video card to my very CHEEP Windows computer.

Which isn't easy. I need a better power supply and ventilation, just for starters.