All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
yasci
join:2012-10-17

yasci

[Internet] Unlocking Sagemcom 2864

I put my Sagemcom 2864 in bridge mode by erasing the login details and while it allows me to use my own router to login to the internet, it seems to be much slower and less reliable. When connecting my router in DHCP mode, I can get full speeds, but I run into issues caused by double NAT. I've found some posts on this forum saying that by resetting the Sagemcom to factory defaults, or by clearing out the PPPoE login details, you're only accomplishing a PPPoE pass-through mode rather than "true" bridge mode.

I've done some extra research and uncovered this thread from the TekSavvy section detailing how to enable Telnet access:

»Firmware + Sagemcom Modem + Help

Further, apparently the 2864, and a similar model 2764 are sold in Brazil under the name PowerBox GVT. Searches for PowerBox GVT yield a lot of discussions on how to unlock various features. For example:

»www.portaladsl.com.br/mo ··· &t=14419
»www.hardware.com.br/comu ··· 1238038/

Unfortunately, the configuration item that is mentioned (runlevel) does not exist in the configuration file for Bell.

If you open a telnet session you have access to several commands including one named bridge.

Command Category bridge - API for managing ethernet bridge
connection   connect separate network interfaces to form one seamless LAN
config       Configure bridge
info         Print bridge information
exit         Exit sub menu
help         Show help for commands within this menu

However, I don't have the knowledge to really do anything with this, but I was hoping that someone might.

Frank_IT
Premium Member
join:2003-11-01
Montreal

Frank_IT

Premium Member

To "enable" the bridge mode, you dont have to clear any information in the sagemcom..

just plug your router to one of the 4 ports, and initiate the PPPoE connection from your router.. it will work fine!

that what i'm doing at home.
yasci

yasci

I recall reading that in other posts as well. However, with any of these methods you are actually doing PPPoE passthrough and your connection takes a hit - which in my case is significant.

rogelio
@rogers.com

rogelio

Anon

why would ur connection take a hit? the connection hub modem is just being a modem, your rouder gets the bell ip.
yasci

yasci

My empirical observation is that it's significantly slower when in PPPoE pass-through that in DHCP. Ideally you'd be correct - the Connection Hub should be treated like a dumb ole modem.. but it doesn't do that - it continues to do it's own PPPoE authentication on top of the one your router does.

rogelio
@rogers.com

rogelio

Anon

theres a red port on connection hub, are u sure your using the correct port?
NefCanuck
join:2007-06-26
Mississauga, ON

NefCanuck to yasci

to yasci
Really? What is your connection speed supposed to be and what are you getting when using the connection directly from the Sagecom and then from a wired port on the router?

I ask this b/c I'm using the pass through, paying for 25/7, getting the same from any of the wired ports on my router (Dlink 655) but slightly less over wireless (best I've managed with nothing else running is 22/7 on my iPad 3rd gen)

NefCanuck
yasci

yasci

25/10 is what it's supposed to be. If I'm in PPPoE pass-through mode, I get a highly variable rate that averages around 15 Mbps, whilst in DHCP mode, I get my full 25 Mbps and then some. This is for wireless only. I haven't tested the LAN as extensively but the difference there is not perceptible. Have you tried to see if your numbers are any different in DHCP mode? The router I'm using is an ASUS RT-N66U with latest firmware.

This is getting away from my main point though. Even if my performance ratings were the same, I would still like to find a way to enable true bridge mode partly because I resent bell for not giving me a choice to get a simple, non-hideous modem, but also because I'm a geek. Unfortunately, I'm not a router-firmware geek.

Also, in reply to rogelio, the red port is for FTTH which I don't have. There is no issue with the physical connection.
lawrenson
join:2012-02-22

lawrenson to yasci

to yasci
There have been a lot of posts here from other people setting their modem up the same way and I can't say I've heard of a speed difference.

Is it possible that your router is the one slowing it down? Have you tried creating a PPPoE connection directly on your computer without the router in play?
a_mckie
join:2012-08-31
East York, ON

a_mckie to yasci

to yasci
I attached my own router to the Sagemcom as a simple DHCP client. It then creates its own LAN on a different subnet to which I attach all my devices.

I have never used PPPOE on my own router and I get the same speeds as I do with a device connected directly to the Sagemcom. Can anyone explain why the common wisdom seems to be setting up PPPOE on your own router? Does my setup not work for some people/routers/connections?

-A
yasci

yasci to lawrenson

to lawrenson
It's possible and I'll see if I can do the PPPoE from my computer. I hope it's not my router, but based on the feedback it may very well be. Since you were the one who originally managed to enable telnet access, have you gotten any use of it other than checking the line stats?
yasci

yasci to a_mckie

to a_mckie
In DHCP if you want to do port forwarding you have to do it both on both devices - unless you put your router in the DMZ. Issues also arise if you want your router to handle DDNS and VPN instead of the Connection Hub.
a_mckie
join:2012-08-31
East York, ON

a_mckie

said by yasci:

In DHCP if you want to do port forwarding you have to do it both on both devices - unless you put your router in the DMZ. Issues also arise if you want your router to handle DDNS and VPN instead of the Connection Hub.

I put my router in the DMZ and I haven't had any DDNS or VPN issues. But I guess others might depending on the gear they're using.

-A

Devanchya
Smile
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Ajax, ON

Devanchya to yasci

Premium Member

to yasci
Are you sure you are on the 25 plan? If you are connecting a download at 15, it makes me suspect you are actually connected via a 15 plan instead.
snidely
join:2013-01-07
Oshawa, ON

1 edit

snidely

yasci, I feel your pain.

For similar reasons, I'm hoping for a reliable way to get the Bell Sagemcom 2864 into a REAL bridge mode and NOT just the following 2 options that are presented everywhere:

1) Put your own router into the DMZ in the Sagemcom admin options. Sagemcom establishes the PPPoE connection and gets the public IP... your Router gets a private IP from the Sagemcom DHCP. No need to do any port forwarding in the Sagemcom, since your Router is in the DMZ.

2) PPPoE pass through of credentials from your own router, through the Bell Sagemcom device. Your Router does the PPPoE connection and gets the public IP (Sagemcom also establishes it's own PPPoE... either with your Bell credentials, or the default Bell ones if you delete the credentials)... BUT some other negative issues result...

So, why are the above options compromised?

#1 above is not good for me because then my router (also an RT-N66U) gets a private IP address... with this, my Router is unable to update my DDNS info because it doesn't know what the Bell public IP is (the Sagemcom is assigned the public IP in this instance). Of course, the Bell unit has miserable options for updating the DDNS itself. Other than this aspect, I had the best speed/fewest latency issues using this particular method.

#2 above is not good for me because, as you have observed, I also get less reliable speed and relatively poor latency using this option. Several folks in the thread have asked to quantify this issue... as a specific example, in my particular case, this option is VERY problematic for my VOIP service (voip.ms). Whereas I have no voip issues with option #1... I have very frequent and irritating voip connection issues when using this option. However, my RT-N66U router does get it's own public IP and can then update my DDNS config...

Wish we had option #3... a REAL bridge mode. ugh. If Bell would update the firmware to include a few more DDNS options (like, say, dnsomatic), I'd stick with option 1 and be relatively happy. Oh well...
Cloneman
join:2002-08-29
Montreal

Cloneman to yasci

to yasci
could you explain what you mean by problems with VoIP, reliability and latency when your router handles PPPoE via sagemcom?

I don' think I have these issues, but I'm on adsl2+
Expand your moderator at work
snidely
join:2013-01-07
Oshawa, ON

1 edit

snidely to Cloneman

to Cloneman

Re: [Internet] Unlocking Sagemcom 2864

When I let my own router handle the PPPoE connection, passing through the Sagemcom (the closest thing we have to a "bridge" mode in this case), I experience the following VOIP issues:

- One way audio (»wiki.voip.ms/article/One ··· ay_Audio) - occurs with both outbound and inbound calls.
- Outbound connections that don't complete

Once a call is established, the audio quality is fine. Getting the inbound and outbound calls to complete though (and without one-way audio issues) is difficult. Probably 1 in 5 calls have this issue when I configure my router in this manner with the Sagemcom.

When the Sagemcom does the PPPoE, with the Roter in the DMZ with a DHCP reserced/assigned private IP, I experience NO Voip issues whatsoever.

Although I didn't mention it in my original reply to OP, I also saw varying download speedtest values for the connection when my Router handles the PPPoE connection. My Bell Fibe 25/7 service would drop to 15 during roughly half of my speedtest runs and end up somewhere between 15 and 25 on the other 50%. When letting the Sagemcom handle the PPPoE and putting my router in the Sagemcom's DMZ (with a DHCP assigned/reserved IP from the Sagemcom) my download speed was consistently at 25 mbits/s.

In any case, the passthrough functionality with the Sagemcom is a poor option compared to an actual bridge mode.
griffner
join:2012-09-15

griffner to yasci

to yasci
Yes, I would also like to uncover the true bridge mode. I let my asus router handle the PPOE credentials which enables a PPOE passthrough on the sagemcom, but I do take a hit in reliability and upload speedsè the connection drops very often.