Search similar:

uniqs

bradenmcg
join:2000-10-26
Cleveland, OH

bradenmcg to Fleeced

to Fleeced

Re: [TWC] Approved modems for purchase

The Zoom 5341 ("J"?) D3.0 is working with the 30/5 in NE Ohio, list be damned.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin

Premium Member

said by bradenmcg:

The Zoom 5341 ("J"?) D3.0 is working with the 30/5 in NE Ohio, list be damned.

Good until you are looking for support down the line, this will be the first thing that gets blamed.

Hob

Girl2
Premium Member
join:2008-01-19

Girl2

Premium Member

Granted TW could blame a modem fault from a modem that isn't approved. So if we have a modem that IS on the approved list, will TW blame a problem on the modem because it isn't PROVIDED by them?

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin

Premium Member

said by Girl2:

Granted TW could blame a modem fault from a modem that isn't approved. So if we have a modem that IS on the approved list, will TW blame a problem on the modem because it isn't PROVIDED by them?

we have had customer owned modems here in WNY for a long time, a lot of them...I have not heard of this happening.

Hob

Eagles1221
join:2009-04-29
Vincentown, NJ

Eagles1221

I beg to differ with Hob, at least in CNY the CSRs like to immediately blame customer modem.

When I got my D3 service a year ago they told me no customer owned modems since they were hard to support. I asked why all the D1.1 users could have personal modems and was told they don't like that since they are hard to support and they always blame a non-leased modem.

Since the "support fee" is for leased modems I wonder what would happen when my cat knocks my coffee into the leased modem every other month.

bradenmcg
join:2000-10-26
Cleveland, OH

bradenmcg to hobgoblin

to hobgoblin
I'm not sure what "support" I'd really need from TW on a modem? If it craps out, I'll call Zoom. If signal levels are terrible, it's a plant issue and not the modem, or at least a tech can test for those.

DOCSIS is a standard. The whole "supported list" seems like someone high up in TW is good friends with someone at Motorola and wants to help their sales...

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

2 edits

1 recommendation

DocDrew

Premium Member

said by bradenmcg:

DOCSIS is a standard. The whole "supported list" seems like someone high up in TW is good friends with someone at Motorola and wants to help their sales...

DOCSIS 3 is a standard that is still evolving, it's not done yet. There are things being added or changed in it recently that weren't there 2 years ago. DOCSIS 2 and many of those modems firmwares have also been updated since DOCSIS 3 has been around, both for compatibility with some of the DOCSIS 3 protocol messages and IPv6.

So what is compatible 2 years ago, may not be compatible now. (See the retail Moto 6120 with older firmware for example.) What is compatible now, may not be compatible in 2 years. Both modems and CMTSs need to be repeatedly tested as time passes and kept up to date.

So being compliant with a "standard" doesn't mean everything just works or keeps working even if it previously worked with the "standard". Every decent company will test equipment to work with the equipment they use internally and recommend or restrict equipment usage to that tested and approved list.

Think of BluRay, it's a standard too. A BD player bought and never updated from 2 years ago may not play a BD disk just released. Even if the firmware/software was great when released, the player has to be updated.

ex15
join:2000-11-30
Santa Clarita, CA

ex15 to Bucolic

to Bucolic
I purchased the SB6121 on Amazon for $59.00, I have the 50/5 and it work s fine, TW only uses 4 bonded channels.
Hope this helps ?

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin

Premium Member

said by ex15:

I purchased the SB6121 on Amazon for $59.00, I have the 50/5 and it work s fine, TW only uses 4 bonded channels.
Hope this helps ?

4 Bonded channels at this time.

Hob
dowop8
join:2012-10-30
N.E Ohio

dowop8

I have been using a Moto 6120 for over two yrs with a standard service.
Should I purchase a Moto 5101 or a 6141 to assure I dont lose service?
The standard 10-1 works fine for me.
I am in NE Ohio.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin

Premium Member

If it was me I would just carry on using it, there was a time when those were approved I believed so you are sorta grandfathered in.

Hob
dowop8
join:2012-10-30
N.E Ohio

dowop8

Thanks. You saved me some money.
mathfaster
join:2005-09-23
Upland, CA

1 edit

mathfaster to Bucolic

to Bucolic
I contacted TWC via chat and they informed me that the Motorola SB6121 is not an approved modem for BYOD. Only those on this list are approved: »www.timewarnercable.com/ ··· dem.html Anyone know if you can get them to accept a SB6121 as a "new" TWC customer. Guess the SB6121 that I thought was an acceptable modem is going back.

Elyria
join:2011-10-12
Elyria, OH

Elyria

Anyone know if you can get them to accept a SB6121 as a "new" TWC customer.

I know for a FACT , that last Tuesday a good friend of mine had his 6121 provisioned.
He called into the center, fought his way up the 3rd, and after some persuasion......the deed was done.

It CAN be done........
mathfaster
Upland, CA

2 edits

mathfaster

said by Elyria:

Anyone know if you can get them to accept a SB6121 as a "new" TWC customer.

I know for a FACT , that last Tuesday a good friend of mine had his 6121 provisioned.
He called into the center, fought his way up the 3rd, and after some persuasion......the deed was done.

It CAN be done........

Thanks for the info. Just seems kinda ridiculous given that this is a DOCSIS 3.0 modem and is not an approved modem and is the successor to the SB6121. Having looked around there are very very few sellers of the SB6141 modem. Many many outlets are selling the SB6121.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin

Premium Member

"Thanks for the info. Just seems kinda ridiculous given that this is a DOCSIS 3.0 modem and is not an approved modem and is the successor to the SB6121. Having looked around there are very very few sellers of the SB6141 modem. Many many outlets are selling the SB6121."

Its been stated a number of times that the 6121 does not support 8 channel bonding, something that TWC is starting to move to. I can see the threads now about an approved modem quickly becoming obsolete for future service.

Hob
mathfaster
Upland, CA

2 edits

mathfaster to Bucolic

to Bucolic
Thanks. I am moving back to TWC to get 12 month promo pricing after having been on Earthlink promo pricing for the last 6 months. Standard internet is fine right now. Just debating to now buy the SB6141 or just buy a very good condition used SB5101 or SB5101U for the time being. Buying a used 5101 for under $30.00 is a pretty quick payback instead of paying TWC $3.95/month for a modem lease. Just trying to decide the most cost effective path at the minute before I roll back to TWC for at least the next 12 months. Doesn't seem to make sense to spend $60 for a new 5101 or 5101U which is already outdated.

ETA: Bought a 5101U off Ebay for $24 and will use that.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

antdude to Bucolic

Premium Member

to Bucolic
I wonder why TWC doesn't sell cable modems even our current rental ones since those are already supported.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin

Premium Member

said by antdude:

I wonder why TWC doesn't sell cable modems even our current rental ones since those are already supported.

Because the administration and various costs of doing that would make no sense.

Hob
Rebellious
join:2008-05-28

Rebellious to Bucolic

to Bucolic
My service agreement with TW includes a modem (already provided). How can they change that without my consent? Are they not happy with the paycheck that I send them every month? Are there no consumer protection laws in this country? And why is the list of “approved” modems so limited, it smells like a corporate scam.
scooper
join:2000-07-11
Kansas City, KS
·Google Fiber

scooper

said by Rebellious:

My service agreement with TW includes a modem (already provided). How can they change that without my consent?

The terms of service say they can change with notice (and your permission is implied as long as you are subscribing).
said by Rebellious:

Are they not happy with the paycheck that I send them every month?

They want MORE of your hard earned money.
said by Rebellious:

Are there no consumer protection laws in this country?

Not on this.
said by Rebellious:

And why is the list of “approved” modems so limited, it smells like a corporate scam.

We have a winner !!!!
NGOwner
join:2000-11-21
Leawood, KS

1 edit

NGOwner to Bucolic

to Bucolic
Earlier this week I replaced my loaned modem with a bought modem.

An Ambit U10C018. It was the same model modem TWC was loaning me. A plain jane DOCSIS 2.0 modem. $16 delivered off eBay. No problem adding it to my account here in KC.

According to speed tests, I'm running 20/1 speeds right now.

Seems like a real easy way to avoid TWC's money grab if you're on a "lower speed" Internet tier.

[NG]Owner
mathfaster
Upland, CA

4 edits

mathfaster to Bucolic

to Bucolic
Relatively quick and easy process to provision modem. Do not call 866-506-0218 Level 3 if you are not in NY/NJ area. They gave me 888-892-2253 to call. CSR opened case then switched me over to person who added modem to account. Stayed on phone while I switched modems. Couple minutes later was active. Just need to return old modem to store to stop lease fee. Probably took 30 minutes tops. Bought a SB5101U modem off Ebay for $24 since am on standard level service.

Unlike other posts I have read, the person doing the provisioning wanted/needed the new modem attached. Had to have them put me on hold and then call my cell while I swapped out modems since I was calling initially on my VOIP line. I was under the impression that they would just call me back when the modem was added to the account and I would swap modems at that time.

ETA: Switched from Earthlink(TWC) promo 6 month pricing to TWC $30/month for 12 months promo pricing a few days ago. Plus $3.95/month modem rental fee if you do not have your own modem for "new" customers.
quickguide1
join:2010-02-10

quickguide1

Okay im going to purchase a modem from ebay. I use time warner 29.99/month road runner.

Motorola SURFboard SB5101U DOCSIS 2.0 Cable Modem

Motorola Surfboard SB5101 Cable Modem

One cost $56 whereas the other costs $65. Is there anything different about the two? One person mentioned the $65 one the sb5101 didn't work because his was made in UK and not usa and thus not compatible with time warner??

Also another silly question. I have a linkssy wrt54g router that i currently use. I see people talking about wanting to buy a cheap modem with wireless. Do they mean like a modem where has wireless capabilities so they just need a modem to have both internet and wireless?

I have a linksys wrt54 router so it doesn't matter which modem i buy from the 2 above right?

Another question. Can i just buy the same RCA modem from time warner? Someone said they actually did this and it work even though in the time warner page they said its not one of the ones that they require???
Gemutlich
join:2012-06-14

2 edits

Gemutlich

quickguide1:

Are those new modems that are being sold on Ebay? That would be too much to pay for used ones.

I can address part of your question. I just bought a new SB5101U from Fry's for $54 in-store (it's $56 at Amazon). The packaging has a copyright date of 2012 on it. That makes me think the 5101U may be more current, but I haven't specifically seen the packaging of the 5101.

Otherwise the only difference between 5101 and 5101U that I can tell is the presence of a "standby switch" on the 5101 that is not present on my 5101U. I would go with the 5101U, especially if there is any concern that the 5101 that is being sold has been configured proprietarily for the UK (they are likely both built in China), although that one person's comment may have been some kind of fluke anecdote. I have had no problems with my new 5101U modem with the 10/1 service tier.

I use my own router with it, so if you have a standalone router you should be able to use it in your chain. A modem and router combined into one unit is often called a "gateway". The 5101 or 5101U is just a plain modem to which one can add a router if he/she wishes. Be sure your router is configured with tight security, password-protected, etc.

If you are in an area with a Fry's, you could just buy a 5101U off the shelf for $54, and verify that it's new with the @2012.

Best Buy has the 5101 for $59.99 with free shipping. You might also find it in-store if you call or check on their website.

NOTE: I just noticed that the UPC code shown at Best Buy is the same as for my 5101U, so some of these sites that say "5101" may actually be selling "5101U".

Regardless of where you buy it, check into the return policy just in case it doesn't work, etc.

motorola870
join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX

motorola870

said by Gemutlich:

quickguide1:

Are those new modems that are being sold on Ebay? That would be too much to pay for used ones.

I can address part of your question. I just bought a new SB5101U from Fry's for $54 in-store (it's $56 at Amazon). The packaging has a copyright date of 2012 on it. That makes me think the 5101U may be more current, but I haven't specifically seen the packaging of the 5101.

Otherwise the only difference between 5101 and 5101U that I can tell is the presence of a "standby switch" on the 5101 that is not present on my 5101U. I would go with the 5101U, especially if there is any concern that the 5101 that is being sold has been configured proprietarily for the UK (they are likely both built in China), although that one person's comment may have been some kind of fluke anecdote. I have had no problems with my new 5101U modem with the 10/1 service tier.

I use my own router with it, so if you have a standalone router you should be able to use it in your chain. A modem and router combined into one unit is often called a "gateway". The 5101 or 5101U is just a plain modem to which one can add a router if he/she wishes. Be sure your router is configured with tight security, password-protected, etc.

If you are in an area with a Fry's, you could just buy a 5101U off the shelf for $54, and verify that it's new with the @2012.

Best Buy has the 5101 for $59.99 with free shipping. You might also find it in-store if you call or check on their website.

Regardless of where you buy it, check into the return policy just in case it doesn't work, etc.

I would stray away from the SB5101U if you have the extreme or ultimate tiers and if you are having problems achieving your advertised speed on standard. Also DOCSIS 2.0 modems go for so cheap because they are fixing to be sent to End of Life in the next couple of years or so so it is not a wise investment to buy one.
mathfaster
Upland, CA

mathfaster to Bucolic

to Bucolic
I bought a refurbed 5101U for $24 off Ebay to use with standard service. Works just fine.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to Bucolic

Premium Member

to Bucolic
My division just told me that they will not provision any modem for 20/2, 30/5 and 50/5 except the two DOCSIS 3 Motorolas on the approved list. They do not allow users to use a DOCSIS 2 modem (be it TWC's or the user's modem) on 20/2.

I got offered 20/2 today for the same price I pay for 15/1 (grandfathered Turbo) for one year. But Oceanic will not turn it on because I have a Surfboard 5100 (rented). I have to wait for them to come out with a 6141 and that might be as long as a month from now. Oceanic is going to call me on Monday to tell me the date.
scooper
join:2000-07-11
Kansas City, KS

scooper to Bucolic

to Bucolic
I got my 5101U from Amazon for $25 (free shipping). Got it last saturday, provisioned / in service on Monday, and returned my leased 5101U on Tuesday. Working fine.

If/when I need faster access - I'll look for a DOCSIS3 modem.

tonyram57
join:2001-11-08
Brooklyn, NY

tonyram57

I bought a Motorola SURFboard SB5101U last month from Newegg new for $52. I only have the standard service and it works good most of the time except when I have problems but it is the area not the modem as I swapped six rented TWC modems with the same problems.