share rss forum feed

scooper

join:2000-07-11
Youngsville, NC
kudos:2
reply to Rebellious

Re: [TWC] Approved modems for purchase

said by Rebellious:

My service agreement with TW includes a modem (already provided). How can they change that without my consent?

The terms of service say they can change with notice (and your permission is implied as long as you are subscribing).

said by Rebellious:

Are they not happy with the paycheck that I send them every month?

They want MORE of your hard earned money.

said by Rebellious:

Are there no consumer protection laws in this country?

Not on this.

said by Rebellious:

And why is the list of “approved” modems so limited, it smells like a corporate scam.

We have a winner !!!!

NGOwner

join:2000-11-21
Leawood, KS

1 edit
reply to Bucolic
Earlier this week I replaced my loaned modem with a bought modem.

An Ambit U10C018. It was the same model modem TWC was loaning me. A plain jane DOCSIS 2.0 modem. $16 delivered off eBay. No problem adding it to my account here in KC.

According to speed tests, I'm running 20/1 speeds right now.

Seems like a real easy way to avoid TWC's money grab if you're on a "lower speed" Internet tier.

[NG]Owner
--
It is impossible to create an idiot-proof product. Humanity is simply too adept at churning out better idiots.

mathfaster

join:2005-09-23
Upland, CA

4 edits
reply to Bucolic
Relatively quick and easy process to provision modem. Do not call 866-506-0218 Level 3 if you are not in NY/NJ area. They gave me 888-892-2253 to call. CSR opened case then switched me over to person who added modem to account. Stayed on phone while I switched modems. Couple minutes later was active. Just need to return old modem to store to stop lease fee. Probably took 30 minutes tops. Bought a SB5101U modem off Ebay for $24 since am on standard level service.

Unlike other posts I have read, the person doing the provisioning wanted/needed the new modem attached. Had to have them put me on hold and then call my cell while I swapped out modems since I was calling initially on my VOIP line. I was under the impression that they would just call me back when the modem was added to the account and I would swap modems at that time.

ETA: Switched from Earthlink(TWC) promo 6 month pricing to TWC $30/month for 12 months promo pricing a few days ago. Plus $3.95/month modem rental fee if you do not have your own modem for "new" customers.

quickguide1

join:2010-02-10
Okay im going to purchase a modem from ebay. I use time warner 29.99/month road runner.

Motorola SURFboard SB5101U DOCSIS 2.0 Cable Modem

Motorola Surfboard SB5101 Cable Modem

One cost $56 whereas the other costs $65. Is there anything different about the two? One person mentioned the $65 one the sb5101 didn't work because his was made in UK and not usa and thus not compatible with time warner??

Also another silly question. I have a linkssy wrt54g router that i currently use. I see people talking about wanting to buy a cheap modem with wireless. Do they mean like a modem where has wireless capabilities so they just need a modem to have both internet and wireless?

I have a linksys wrt54 router so it doesn't matter which modem i buy from the 2 above right?

Another question. Can i just buy the same RCA modem from time warner? Someone said they actually did this and it work even though in the time warner page they said its not one of the ones that they require???

Gemutlich

join:2012-06-14

2 edits
quickguide1:

Are those new modems that are being sold on Ebay? That would be too much to pay for used ones.

I can address part of your question. I just bought a new SB5101U from Fry's for $54 in-store (it's $56 at Amazon). The packaging has a copyright date of 2012 on it. That makes me think the 5101U may be more current, but I haven't specifically seen the packaging of the 5101.

Otherwise the only difference between 5101 and 5101U that I can tell is the presence of a "standby switch" on the 5101 that is not present on my 5101U. I would go with the 5101U, especially if there is any concern that the 5101 that is being sold has been configured proprietarily for the UK (they are likely both built in China), although that one person's comment may have been some kind of fluke anecdote. I have had no problems with my new 5101U modem with the 10/1 service tier.

I use my own router with it, so if you have a standalone router you should be able to use it in your chain. A modem and router combined into one unit is often called a "gateway". The 5101 or 5101U is just a plain modem to which one can add a router if he/she wishes. Be sure your router is configured with tight security, password-protected, etc.

If you are in an area with a Fry's, you could just buy a 5101U off the shelf for $54, and verify that it's new with the @2012.

Best Buy has the 5101 for $59.99 with free shipping. You might also find it in-store if you call or check on their website.

NOTE: I just noticed that the UPC code shown at Best Buy is the same as for my 5101U, so some of these sites that say "5101" may actually be selling "5101U".

Regardless of where you buy it, check into the return policy just in case it doesn't work, etc.

motorola870

join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX
kudos:4
said by Gemutlich:

quickguide1:

Are those new modems that are being sold on Ebay? That would be too much to pay for used ones.

I can address part of your question. I just bought a new SB5101U from Fry's for $54 in-store (it's $56 at Amazon). The packaging has a copyright date of 2012 on it. That makes me think the 5101U may be more current, but I haven't specifically seen the packaging of the 5101.

Otherwise the only difference between 5101 and 5101U that I can tell is the presence of a "standby switch" on the 5101 that is not present on my 5101U. I would go with the 5101U, especially if there is any concern that the 5101 that is being sold has been configured proprietarily for the UK (they are likely both built in China), although that one person's comment may have been some kind of fluke anecdote. I have had no problems with my new 5101U modem with the 10/1 service tier.

I use my own router with it, so if you have a standalone router you should be able to use it in your chain. A modem and router combined into one unit is often called a "gateway". The 5101 or 5101U is just a plain modem to which one can add a router if he/she wishes. Be sure your router is configured with tight security, password-protected, etc.

If you are in an area with a Fry's, you could just buy a 5101U off the shelf for $54, and verify that it's new with the @2012.

Best Buy has the 5101 for $59.99 with free shipping. You might also find it in-store if you call or check on their website.

Regardless of where you buy it, check into the return policy just in case it doesn't work, etc.

I would stray away from the SB5101U if you have the extreme or ultimate tiers and if you are having problems achieving your advertised speed on standard. Also DOCSIS 2.0 modems go for so cheap because they are fixing to be sent to End of Life in the next couple of years or so so it is not a wise investment to buy one.

mathfaster

join:2005-09-23
Upland, CA
reply to Bucolic
I bought a refurbed 5101U for $24 off Ebay to use with standard service. Works just fine.

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
reply to Bucolic
My division just told me that they will not provision any modem for 20/2, 30/5 and 50/5 except the two DOCSIS 3 Motorolas on the approved list. They do not allow users to use a DOCSIS 2 modem (be it TWC's or the user's modem) on 20/2.

I got offered 20/2 today for the same price I pay for 15/1 (grandfathered Turbo) for one year. But Oceanic will not turn it on because I have a Surfboard 5100 (rented). I have to wait for them to come out with a 6141 and that might be as long as a month from now. Oceanic is going to call me on Monday to tell me the date.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

scooper

join:2000-07-11
Youngsville, NC
reply to Bucolic
I got my 5101U from Amazon for $25 (free shipping). Got it last saturday, provisioned / in service on Monday, and returned my leased 5101U on Tuesday. Working fine.

If/when I need faster access - I'll look for a DOCSIS3 modem.

tonyram57

join:2001-11-08
Brooklyn, NY
I bought a Motorola SURFboard SB5101U last month from Newegg new for $52. I only have the standard service and it works good most of the time except when I have problems but it is the area not the modem as I swapped six rented TWC modems with the same problems.

Edb

@rr.com
reply to Bucolic

I decided to purchase a modem rather than pay twc each month to rent so i went to the local twc office and asked which modem they would give me to replace my 7 yr old one and they showed me a sb5101 so i went home and ordered one. I then provided twc the mac# and they changed my acct and said i was ready to operate but i could get nothing but the twc page telling me how to contact them. My purchaes 5101 would not work but the one they provided did work. Now i'm beginning to smell a rat. TWC assumes if they make it too much trouble the user will default back to their rental. I'm penning a letter to the BBB right now.

said by Edb :

I decided to purchase a modem rather than pay twc each month to rent so i went to the local twc office and asked which modem they would give me to replace my 7 yr old one and they showed me a sb5101 so i went home and ordered one. I then provided twc the mac# and they changed my acct and said i was ready to operate but i could get nothing but the twc page telling me how to contact them. My purchaes 5101 would not work but the one they provided did work. Now i'm beginning to smell a rat. TWC assumes if they make it too much trouble the user will default back to their rental. I'm penning a letter to the BBB right now.

i got my modem activated within 15 minutes

but if they told you it was ready, then why didn't you check and tell them it wasn't working?

anyhow, filing a complaint to the bbb is pointless seeing how the bbb is a corrupt organization:

»abcnews.go.com/Blotter/business-···V5WfMLio

Fleeced

join:2012-10-06
reply to Edb
Reboot your system. Shut computer, router and modem down. Power on modem, wait 30 seconds, power on router and computer. If that doesn't work, might be an account or provisioning error. If you continue to get the page, call in instead of flailing about uselessly.