Premium Member
join:2006-06-06
Irvine, CA

1 recommendation

VOIPoTim

Premium Member

Reply from VOIPo Owner

Hello rfs0123,

I'm the owner of VOIPo and saw your review here.

Unfortunately we don't officially support house wiring because all houses are wired differently and without actually seeing it, we don't know how it's all wired, etc. If there is any other stuff running through the same wiring or connected in any way (even if not being used by you...the regular phone company could still be running through it unless physically disconnected outside), then that other current could damage the device or shorten its life. Without seeing what's what, we can't officially support house wiring.

The other reason we don't officially support house wiring officially is that the adapters only put out a limited amount of power and sometimes that's not enough to power a house that has a ton of jacks or devices wired up and that can cause sporadic problems. I can't tell you how many times we have people that are experiencing a ton of issues and then their issues go away when they (at our request) connect the phone directly to the device. This is a big variable since all houses are wired differently.

This doesn't necessarily mean that you can't use house wiring...many advanced users do if they're 100% sure their wiring has nothing else going through it and it's a reasonable amount for the small device to handle.

What it does mean though is that we can't officially support it or help you with it while connected to house wiring. We're more than happy to help if you connect a phone directly to the device even if it's temporarily. We just can't provide support with the phone connected to wiring that we know nothing about and have no control over since that's known to cause issues.

In a nutshell, our support policy is that we can only provide support when the device is connected in a direct way since that rules out the wiring as causing any issues.

I know it might be frustrating for you that we can't support your house wiring, but I hope that the above reasons at least help you understand somewhat why we have that policy.

Feel free to e-mail me directly at tim @ voipo.com if you have any further questions. Thank you for your business!

Best Regards,

Timothy Dick
Founder/CEO
VOIPo.com
rfs0123
join:2012-10-22
Attleboro, MA

rfs0123

Just as an update, I removed the house wiring from the equation and connected my base station directly to the Grandstream ATA, then did a total reboot of the modem, ATA & router, in that order. In limited testing, I still had dial outs to silence and drop calls when we actually did make it through. VOIPO support did get back to me with a download link to check my connect/setup, which I'll try tonight to see whether our problem is external.