uniqs
share rss forum feed

geokilla

join:2010-10-04
North York, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable

Internet Usage While Out of Town?

My sister goes to Western University and was back home in Toronto for a few days over the weekend. Drove her back in yesterday and checked her WAN usage on the router and it said there was roughly 150MB of WAN usage. Wtf? How's that possible? No one but us has the password for WiFi, especially since the WiFi password is a randomly generated key found on the Internet that is 64 characters long.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23

Were all computers and routers completely powered down while she was away? No? Then the answer should be fairly obvious. Computers don't isolate themselves from the outside world just because you're not actively using them.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

ns1225

join:2010-12-30
Montreal, QC
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
reply to geokilla

said by geokilla:

My sister goes to Western University and was back home in Toronto for a few days over the weekend. Drove her back in yesterday and checked her WAN usage on the router and it said there was roughly 150MB of WAN usage. Wtf? How's that possible? No one but us has the password for WiFi, especially since the WiFi password is a randomly generated key found on the Internet that is 64 characters long.

There is a backdoor into routers these days: the WPS pincode hacking trick. Apparently no way to turn that off on some routers. That is one possibility assuming no other sources of activity.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to geokilla

I think something as mundane as Windows Update is a much more likely possibility than a hacked router.
--

geokilla

North York, ON

The computer was turned off. Only the router was left on, as always.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to geokilla

Does the usage tracker show if the bandwidth is inbound or outbound? 150MB over 3 days is only about half a kilobyte per second, so it could just be random portscans and pings and other such things.
--

graniterock

join:2003-03-14
London, ON
reply to geokilla

Not just a computer. Ipad, Ipod, cell phone left lying around. Even just having a ipod turned on when you get home could generate that in emails and updates upon arrival.

Vntalk
Premium
join:2005-03-15
reply to geokilla

Instead of guessing, why don't you check your router log ?

geokilla

North York, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable

said by Vntalk:

Instead of guessing, why don't you check your router log ?

I did check the log. It was all inbound with a tad of outbound. As I said... No electronics in her room as she took everything with her. No laptop, smartphone, nada.

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4

Does the router characterize the traffic, or log the IP's?

If so, you can figure out what's going on with some degree of certainty....ie. DDOS, a Russian/Chinese IP address is probably hackers trying to steal her military/diplomatic/industrial design secrets....or her diary.

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON
kudos:5
reply to geokilla

said by geokilla:

The computer was turned off. Only the router was left on, as always.

Lesson learned, always power down and turn the router off if you're going to be away for an extended period.

You can leave the modem on though, usually not a good idea to power off the modem, generally speaking. This assumes your modem is a stand alone sepparate from the router.
--
You see there is only one constant. One universal. It is the only real truth. Causality. Action, reaction. Cause and effect.
Twitter:Merv Chat:irc.teksavvy.ca

Walter Dnes

join:2008-01-27
Thornhill, ON

said by TwiztedZero:

You can leave the modem on though, usually not a good idea to power off the modem, generally speaking. This assumes your modem is a stand alone sepparate from the router.

Why? Does it matter if it's cable or ADSL? I have a SpeedTouch 546 combo router/modem. Our condo also has separate electricity meters for each suite, so I have an incentive to shut down everything when not in use.