share rss forum feed

qworster

join:2001-11-25
Bryn Mawr, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon FiOS

DSL at work has been down since Sept 5th

My DSL at work has been down since September 5th. Verizon has sent technicians to our office and the central office half a dozen timers and nothing. They've swapped filters, modems, equipment at the DSLAM and everything else. At one point after they changed cable pairs it seemed to work in that I could ping sites but the PPPoE wouldn't connect. Finally I have given up and ordered a new DSL on another number and if it works I'll cancel the DSL I have now. Is this kind of stuff common in that many many people can't get a simple DSL working?

Demonfang

join:2011-04-21
Spring Mills, PA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·DSL EXTREME
i see you're in the process of trying out an idea right now by getting dsl on another line, and you can see how that goes, hopefully it goes well.

since you seem like the type who knows what they're doing, could you post up your modem line stats to look at? somehow i think that will give some insight into what is going on here.

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
kudos:9
Reviews:
·G4 Communications
·Fairpoint Commun..
·Hollis Hosting
reply to qworster
Strange problem if DSL modem is syncing but you cannot establish a PPPoE session sounds like there there is something screwed up with the account.

Before the techs tried to fix the problem do you know if the modem was able to sync? If so that points to a problem above the physical circuit.

The other possibility is the ATM circuit may not be configured correctly. But if either were the case I'd assume the techs should have been able to figure it out.

Since you have the luxury of multiple phone lines getting a new account on a different line ought to resolve the problem.

Be interesting to see what happens.

/tom

qworster

join:2001-11-25
Bryn Mawr, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

reply to qworster
The modem was always syncing. The Internet light would go red on the modem and the modem stats would say PPPoE timeout.

Before they changed pairs a second time the download margin was 12 db and the loss 63 db. The upstream was a lot better 22 and 38 IIRC.

The line was syncing at the full 1 meg/384k profile speeds.

Now it syncs at 600/160 and the download margin is around 6 db.

Instead of fixing it they broke it.

rollinraver

join:2002-04-27
Buffalo, NY

1 recommendation

reply to qworster
A solid DSL light only means you are in synch with the DSLAM at the CO, it does NOT indicate you have a connection to the Internet. The Internet light is what signifies your true Internet connection, and by having a red Internet light, your modem has tried, and failed, to negotiate with the upstream routers and get assigned an IP address.

We recently had some trouble in Buffalo with one of the main Junipers, and many many MANY csr's lost their Internet connections, but maintained synch with the DSLAM. It's unfortunate your tech didn't know any better and changed your copper line on you. I would get them back out there to put it back!!! I know I'm able to call my facilities folks and see what previous cable changes were done to a line. I'd like to hope other areas can do the same...

Demonfang

join:2011-04-21
Spring Mills, PA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·DSL EXTREME
reply to qworster
said by qworster:

The line was syncing at the full 1 meg/384k profile speeds.

Now it syncs at 600/160 and the download margin is around 6 db.

Instead of fixing it they broke it.

woohoo /sarcasm >.>

as suggested, since you are getting sync, but no internet, i'd say there's an account issue. sounds like pair change, and put you on a worse pair as well. since you use pppoe, i would suggest checking your account, and making sure all login info is set correctly on the modem. if that fails, then all i can really say is to call verizon and have them do whatever to fix your account.

alchav

join:2002-05-17
Saint George, UT
Reviews:
·ooma
reply to qworster
said by qworster:

My DSL at work has been down since September 5th. Verizon has sent technicians to our office and the central office half a dozen times and nothing. They've swapped filters, modems, equipment at the DSLAM and everything else. At one point after they changed cable pairs it seemed to work in that I could ping sites but the PPPoE wouldn't connect. Finally I have given up and ordered a new DSL on another number and if it works I'll cancel the DSL I have now. Is this kind of stuff common in that many many people can't get a simple DSL working?

DSL is old Technology, and you are probably at the edge of it's limits. Your going to need good Copper and good working Equipment, two things that Old Stuff lacks. Doesn't that C.O. have FiOS? What is your Area Code and Prefix? If they can't get the Old Line working, I doubt that the new Line will work.