Search similar:

uniqs
dalekinder
join:2009-01-17
Jacksonville, AR

dalekinder

Lost Channels.

Click for full size
Im new to cable internet, So I dont understand it very well. A few weeks ago when I got cox, I was tinkering around in the modem, I saw that I was locked on to 7 downstream channels, now a few weeks later I see that Im locked on to.. and theres 4 unknown. What exactly does this mean for me. Nothing has really changed as far as speed but lately some websites have been timing out. If anything Ive actually gained a few mpbs. Also Ive noticed that the modem takes longer to connect than before. Any ideas.

Heres my modem Screenshot
lilstone87
join:2009-04-09
Chesapeake, VA

lilstone87

Have you tried rebooting the modem? as you only locking onto one of the four 800mhz downstream channels. You should be connected to the three 500mhz, and four 800mhz downstream channels. You shouldn't be losing any downstream channels, unless there is a problem.
dalekinder
Jacksonville, AR

dalekinder

have reboot the modem several times. I called cox and they said everything looks fine. This happened last night when My wife got pissed at me for playing Counter strike GO to much and she went over to the wall and just unplugged it.. And when that happened, the whole modem reset, I had to go back and rename the SSID and put my password setup. Is there a chance something got changed?
lilstone87
Chesapeake, VA

lilstone87

said by dalekinder:

have reboot the modem several times. I called cox and they said everything looks fine. This happened last night when My wife got pissed at me for playing Counter strike GO to much and she went over to the wall and just unplugged it..

lmao oh no don't piss the wife off! Anyways I am in portsmouth still on 7 downstream channels, so no reason you shouldn't be on 7 downstream channels. I can only suggest unplugging the modem for maybe 5 minutes, and turn it back on to see if it changes. Or if the modem has a reset button on the back of it, try and hold it for 45 seconds or so, and release it. Warning though, as seeing it is a modem gateway, all router settings could be wiped with a hard reset.
dalekinder
Jacksonville, AR

dalekinder

When cox came and set this modem up did that actualy have to put in any information before it would work, or is it just plug and play and they add the modem info over the phone to their support to get the service turned on?
lilstone87
Chesapeake, VA

lilstone87

said by dalekinder:

When cox came and set this modem up did that actualy have to put in any information before it would work, or is it just plug and play and they add the modem info over the phone to their support to get the service turned on?

The modem is mostly plug and play, except they do have to enter the modem's model/serial number, and the modem's mac address into there system. as for the channels the modem locks onto, it simply on startup receives its information from the CMTS. Which lets it know of the channels currently available, and so the modem locks onto them. Sometimes there can be minor errors, that can cause the modem not to lock onto all the channels. Which a simple restart of the modem can help, or sometimes a hard reset.
dalekinder
Jacksonville, AR

dalekinder

I factory reset the modem. Still only connected to 4 channels in the downstream.
lilstone87
Chesapeake, VA

lilstone87

said by dalekinder:

I factory reset the modem. Still only connected to 4 channels in the downstream.

Well I can only think of two things being an issue to this, there is a minor signal issue. Which your signal levels don't appear to be a problem, or there is an issue going on at the CMTS. Anyways you can always send CoxTech1 See Profile on here PM with your modem's mac address asking him about this. He should be back on here tomorrow, and with your modem's mac address. He can also look at other modems connected in your local area, to see if its a local problem to you, or if others are also only connected to 4 downstream channels currently.

Anyways even with 4 downstream channels currently, there should be way more then enough bandwidth. So speed shouldn't be a problem for you, but if your curious I am sure CoxTech1 See Profile could look at things for you. Which Chris works for cox in our local market, and that's always a plus.
dalekinder
Jacksonville, AR

dalekinder

Well I did a 2nd factory reset took it 3 minutes to come online. It finally connected and I had to go in there and resetup all the settings. Thanks for your help. Still only 4 channels. And your right the speed is great its still at 28-38mbs. I just noticed that I was not locked on to as many channels as before.
lilstone87
Chesapeake, VA

lilstone87

said by dalekinder:

Well I did a 2nd factory reset took it 3 minutes to come online. It finally connected and I had to go in there and resetup all the settings. Thanks for your help. Still only 4 channels. And your right the speed is great its still at 28-38mbs. I just noticed that I was not locked on to as many channels as before.

Yeah my modem last reset by itself yesterday because of on/off again noise issue I deal with, and its still on 7 downstream channels currently. Its always possible cox made a change to your local CMTS, and reason your modem is only locking onto 4 downstream channels now. But I think that's rather unlikely, but like I said I am sure if your curious Chris aka CoxTech1 See Profile on here. Would be more then happy to look over things, and tell you what he thinks. As he has the tools to look over your connection from cox's end, and if there is any kind of a problem he see's. He will simply suggest what he thinks should be done.
dalekinder
Jacksonville, AR

dalekinder

I sent him a PM, thanks.
lilstone87
Chesapeake, VA

lilstone87

said by dalekinder:

I sent him a PM, thanks.

Ok cool, like I said he should be back on here tomorrow. So you should get a reply back from him tomorrow.