Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!
dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

riekl

join:2000-06-01
Macomb, MI

ATT Ran unburied line down my side yard, across my back yard

I don't have ATT service, I do have a pedestal in my front yard. Last week ATT ran a cord down my side yard, across my back yard, across my neighbors back yard, to a new house 2 houses away. Problems with this :

#1) They wrapped the cable in this god awful yellow warning tape. This is good for helping with not seeing the wire but it is god awful ugly.
#2) There is no easement in my side yard, this half of the run is infringing on my property.
#3) Its been a week and they havent come to bury it.
#4) I called repair to give them a 24 hour warning and they said a manager will call me in 2-4 days.
#5) The cable run is horrible, its loops and loose cable the whole way easily tripable, its not run straight its diaganol across my yard.

This is obviously a lazy install and I'm about to go cut the wire, thoughts ?

AMDUSER
Premium
join:2003-05-28
Earth,
kudos:1
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Time Warner Cable
Try posting in »AT&T Direct ..
Post your name, address, city, state and a phone # where they can contact you.. and of course about the wire.

Please do not reply to your post until after an AT&T tech has replied- or it may take much longer [for AT&T techs] to get around to your post.. and get this resolved for you.

ArgMeMatey

join:2001-08-09
Milwaukee, WI
kudos:2
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·AT&T Midwest
·Time Warner Cable
reply to riekl
If it's aerial cable with or without a messenger wire, use a hacksaw. Otherwise it might damage your cutters.

But seriously, before you cut the cable, I would do these things concurrently:

1. Try to file a complaint with the MPSC. If the cable is for regulated voice service, they might do something about it. If not, they might be able to tell you your rights in such matters.

2. Check with local municipal authorities who handle right-of-way issues and ask them if they can contact AT&T on your behalf or refer you to someone.

3. Call Randall Stephenson's office and be nice. He no doubt has a group of people dedicated to fixing problems that his company has caused.

4. Check with the county to make sure there's no utility easement recorded.

You are probably within your rights to mow your lawn, or cover the area around the cable with honey & tuna fish and send goats and raccoons out to graze. But I wouldn't recommend it.

Good luck.
--
USNG:
16TDN2870
Find your USNG coordinates:
USNGWeb

nunya
LXI 483
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:13
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
reply to riekl
Whatever you do, do not cut the wire. Two wrongs do not make a right, and you could cause a brouhaha.

Instead, you should file a complaint here right now: »www.dleg.state.mi.us/mpsc/comm/t ··· omp.html

There's a very good chance that this is only a temporary feed until the real cable can be heated up to the customer. Still, they should have sought your permission before cutting through your yard.

I would get a sharpie and a piece of plastic and "tag" the drop with a note advising them they are trespassing on your property and should not bury the line until this is resolved.

I would also speak with the neighbor whose house is being fed. Perhaps they have more information.

I would have never considered throwing a line in somebodies yard without talking to them. At the very least, I would have left a door tag with a detailed explanation of what was going on.
--
If someone refers to herself / himself as a "guru", they probably aren't.

ATT customer

@sbcglobal.net
reply to riekl
Click for full size
U-verse funny
Here's my back yard U-verse fail contribution. In march of this year ATT discovered their 50 year old waterlogged multipair overhead cable was unable to deliver U-verse TV to my neighbor. ATT's temporary solution was to hang this 1/4 mile long piece of cat 5 from tree to tree and fence to ground. A replacement order for the entire 1/2 mile length of overhead was entered into the "ATT system" and the work was scheduled to be done in two weeks. Now, after eight months and many order re-entries by the ATT repair guys, the old multipair is still up, still water filled and still un-replaced. Be patient. Improving on high quality workmanship of this sort just takes time and planning.

David
I start new work on
Premium,VIP
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL
kudos:101
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·AT&T Midwest
·magicjack.com
·Google Voice
reply to AMDUSER
said by AMDUSER:

Try posting in »AT&T Direct ..
Post your name, address, city, state and a phone # where they can contact you.. and of course about the wire.

Please do not reply to your post until after an AT&T tech has replied- or it may take much longer [for AT&T techs] to get around to your post.. and get this resolved for you.

+1 Plus there is no waiting currently in the direct forum. I have a few things to clean up (the helprequest@sbcglobal.net box is currently empty of issues) Either or post in direct or send me an email at the address mentioned.

Thanks
David
--
If you have a topic in the direct forum please reply to it or a post of mine, I get a notification when you do this.
Koetting Ford, Granite City, illinois... YOU'RE FIRED!!

David
I start new work on
Premium,VIP
Granite City, IL
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·AT&T Midwest
·magicjack.com
·Google Voice
reply to ATT customer
said by ATT customer :

Here's my back yard U-verse fail contribution. In march of this year ATT discovered their 50 year old waterlogged multipair overhead cable was unable to deliver U-verse TV to my neighbor. ATT's temporary solution was to hang this 1/4 mile long piece of cat 5 from tree to tree and fence to ground. A replacement order for the entire 1/2 mile length of overhead was entered into the "ATT system" and the work was scheduled to be done in two weeks. Now, after eight months and many order re-entries by the ATT repair guys, the old multipair is still up, still water filled and still un-replaced. Be patient. Improving on high quality workmanship of this sort just takes time and planning.

I can take on yours too. 8 months I think is a bit much.. would love to ask around about that one!
--
If you have a topic in the direct forum please reply to it or a post of mine, I get a notification when you do this.
Koetting Ford, Granite City, illinois... YOU'RE FIRED!!

Shadow01
Premium
join:2003-10-24
Wasteland
reply to nunya
said by nunya:

Whatever you do, do not cut the wire. Two wrongs do not make a right, and you could cause a brouhaha.

Instead, you should file a complaint here right now: »www.dleg.state.mi.us/mpsc/comm/t ··· omp.html

There's a very good chance that this is only a temporary feed until the real cable can be heated up to the customer. Still, they should have sought your permission before cutting through your yard.

I would get a sharpie and a piece of plastic and "tag" the drop with a note advising them they are trespassing on your property and should not bury the line until this is resolved.

I would also speak with the neighbor whose house is being fed. Perhaps they have more information.

I would have never considered throwing a line in somebodies yard without talking to them. At the very least, I would have left a door tag with a detailed explanation of what was going on.

It's clear you are from the ol' bell system. It's also good that you are retired. That type of attitude would not be tolerated by the existing management team in place now. It's a shame where the company has gone. With the employees they have and the right management, they could be providing the best service in the country, but they would rather sabotage the landline side to force customers to leave so they can shut the switches off and move solely into wireless.
--
»the53.tumblr.com/

dmxrob6
Premium
join:2005-06-24
Boonville, MO
Reviews:
·AT&T Southwest
AT&T could care less nowadays. That line will be there for years -- I guarantee it. I've had nothing but static and U-Verse issues for a year now. Do you think AT&T cares? Hell no. My case has been sent to the "Office of the President" (for whatever good that does). We have pedestals open to the rain, wires wrapped around one another, you name it -- but the field techs won't do a damn thing. The regular corporate AT&T folks gave up trying to get the local techs to fix the issue, so they just bumped me off to the next level which I am sure could care less.

If we had a choice, we'd be gone in a flash. Sadly, we don't.

I filed a complaint with our PUC yesterday as well. We'll see how far that gets us. Probably not very far.

nunya
LXI 483
Premium,MVM
O Fallon, MO
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
Your frustration is misplaced. It's not the peons in the field that make these decisions. This comes straight from upper management. So when you say the "field techs won't do a damn thing"; the reality is that they can't do a damn thing. Their hands are tied.
They are cowboys who put out fires and run to the next one. There are still plenty of guys with the know-how to fix the stuff, it's just that UM won't let them.

When I started working for "the phone company" quality and customer service were tied for #1 priority. There are a lot of people that would say otherwise, but it's the truth. If it took 4 hours of OT to restore a single POTS line, so be it. If a new span of cable needed to be spun up, so be it - even if the construction crew had to work OT ( It's the end of the world!).
Once TA96 went into effect, the telecom industry was in a "race to the bottom". Quantity kicked quality and service to the end of the line.

The telco's are done with landline services. They are just going through the motions now. Not because they want to, but because they are obligated to.
--

OSUGoose

join:2007-12-27
Columbus, OH
reply to dmxrob6
Pro not, in Ohio they have neutered the PUC, you can go 7-14 days for a POTS repair. Good chance it being 14 days, if they even show up. While U-verse gets next day resolution, 2-3 days max if "behind". Needless to say I moved on to cable VOIP.

myluvnttl78

join:2000-12-22
Ridgefield, WA

1 edit
reply to riekl
said by riekl:

I don't have ATT service, I do have a pedestal in my front yard. Last week ATT ran a cord down my side yard, across my back yard, across my neighbors back yard, to a new house 2 houses away. Problems with this :

#1) They wrapped the cable in this god awful yellow warning tape. This is good for helping with not seeing the wire but it is god awful ugly.
#2) There is no easement in my side yard, this half of the run is infringing on my property.
#3) Its been a week and they havent come to bury it.
#4) I called repair to give them a 24 hour warning and they said a manager will call me in 2-4 days.
#5) The cable run is horrible, its loops and loose cable the whole way easily tripable, its not run straight its diaganol across my yard.

This is obviously a lazy install and I'm about to go cut the wire, thoughts ?

would you cut a powerline if it's in your backyard also??? Go cut the line, I bet you will get a nice visit the next morning by some nice person in uniform...

riekl

Macomb, MI
said by myluvnttl78:

Stop whinning, would you cut a powerline if it's in your backyard also??? Go cut the line, I bet you will get a nice visit the next morning by some nice person in uniform...

You are hilarious and obviously know nothing about property law. There is no easement, ATT is tresspassing. My kid tripped on their wire, it has accidently been cut by my lawn mower, and they can be thankful I'm not suing them.

Austinloop

join:2001-08-19
Austin, TX
Please note that in many locations, it is illegal to disrupt emergency (such as 911) communications. The suing could be on the other foot if you cut the cable and the person it serves needs EMS, Police, or Fire Department and can't reach them due to you cutting the wires.

W8ASA
Noi tieng gi the?

join:2000-07-31
Dayton, OH
Reviews:
·AT&T Midwest
·magicjack.com
·Time Warner Cable
reply to riekl
Do NOT allow them to bury it anywhere on your property not covered by an easement. Is the cable long enough that you can at least lay it within the easement boundary? I know what I would do in this situation, but I wouldn't advise anyone else to do it.
--
Microwave and RF Components at www.ohiomicrowave.com

myluvnttl78

Ridgefield, WA

2 edits
reply to riekl
said by riekl:

said by myluvnttl78:

would you cut a powerline if it's in your backyard also??? Go cut the line, I bet you will get a nice visit the next morning by some nice person in uniform...

You are hilarious and obviously know nothing about property law. There is no easement, ATT is tresspassing. My kid tripped on their wire, it has accidently been cut by my lawn mower, and they can be thankful I'm not suing them.

Please note that in many locations, it is illegal to disrupt emergency (such as 911) communications. The suing could be on the other foot if you cut the cable and the person it serves needs EMS, Police, or Fire Department and can't reach them due to you cutting the wires.

myluvnttl78

Ridgefield, WA
reply to riekl
also can you show any picture where the cable is crossing your private space??

ATT Customer

@sbcglobal.net
reply to David
Thanks David,
Here are the details. This 1/2 mile+ run of old, wet overhead cable is in Olympia Fields, IL, 60461.

It starts at a Vrad or RT at the corner of Scott Dr. and Olympian Way and runs along and behind the east side of Greenwood Dr and continues along and behind the south and west sides of Thornwood Dr.

Our local ATT line repairman, with whom I'm now practically on a first name basis, has re-entered the order to the cable dept. at least three times. The hi-tech cat 5 'install' persists.

I hope this provides enough info.

ATT Customer

@sbcglobal.net
David;
I can be reached directly at wally-balloo@sbcglobal.net in case that's necessary.

David
I start new work on
Premium,VIP
Granite City, IL
reply to ATT Customer
send me the more detailed info via email to helprequest@sbcglobal.net so I can follow it.

tigerpaw509

join:2011-01-19
reply to riekl
It's temporary

David
I start new work on
Premium,VIP
Granite City, IL
reply to riekl
one thing to keep in mind they can make temporary repairs till say a dig crew/hang crew hangs a new line. That I don't condone at all. It's when the temp repairs have been there 6 months or more that I wouldn't mind asking questions about.

riekl

Macomb, MI
They can not make temporary or permanant repairs on land that does not have an easement, period. The situation has been resolved, cables cut, ATT came and ran cable from a different pod so its no longer my problem.

tigerpaw509

join:2011-01-19
reply to riekl
Nothing gets done in 2 weeks.It may not cross the engineers desk
for weeks and actually drawing up a job,getting cable ordered and scheduling the work takes months.Add to that there are 1000's of
other jobs ahead of you.Heck there are temps out there from 10 years ago that have been re-temped 10 times over.

That aerial cable looks like self support air core from the 70's(the worst stuff) and you can bet every section is full of water and the sheath has turned to powered many years ago.

nunya
LXI 483
Premium,MVM
O Fallon, MO
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
reply to riekl
I've recently driven down streets where I still see "temps" I personally put up in the late 90's (I'm no longer with AT&T).

In the olden days, we would fill out a "plant card" and the boss would stick it in his file cabinet. When things were slow, instead of getting a log, you would get a bunch of plant cards. I can remember some of them being so old that the actual neighborhoods were gone (shopping malls), the originator was dead or long since retired, or construction had replaced the plant already.
"Squeaky wheel" jobs always get priority though (executive complaint or PUC complaint).
--

AMDUSER
Premium
join:2003-05-28
Earth,
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Time Warner Cable
Thats bad... locally, [when I first moved to this area about 6 years ago].. I noticed that an At&t ped covered with a black garbage bag, and some black tape [possibly electric] used to hold it on.

I passed by it a few days go... it is still there! I didn't know temporary repairs could be almost permanent.. [I'm sure they used the bag to keep rain out of the ped.]