spc
Search similar:

uniqs
staind20960
join:2012-10-22
Tyner, NC

staind20960

[CenturyTel] High Latency in North Carolina

To describe this issue in detail a backstory is needed. About two months ago I make a call to the local centurylink location to inquire about more bandwidth(1.5Mbps isnt cutting anymore). The representative tells me that suddenly I can get 10Mbps at my location. Well after only getting 2.5Mbps max on speed tests. I call the Internet tech support number, at which point they tell me that my line stats are very weak and dispatch a tech to be on site by 5pm the next day.

5:15 pm the next day, no sign of any techs. So I call back, at this point I get a very dense customer service rep who after putting me on hold 4 times comes back and tells that my bandwidth has to be restored to 1.5Mbps citing instability. Then a tech comes on site and verifies all this. Now with that said, to the problem at hand.

Before any changes were made I could ping any server on the east coast in under 40ms. Reasonable ping times, had no complaints. Now im lucky to get 70ms on a good day to a server within 75 miles of here and it only gets worse as the distance increases, I cant even get the latency low enough to effectively play a game such as Call of Duty over xbox live. Now after 7 different phone calls to centurylink HSI support(last time I called I was hung up on after waiting patiently on hold), installing a premises DSL spiltter on my own(I am a network technician myself), replacing my router and the modem with a new one from centurylink. The problem remains.

If any of the Centurylink employees that post here could help with this it would be greatly appreciated. I quite simply find it to be completely unacceptable that simply reverting my line back to the same bandwidth it always has been would suddenly cause this kind of latency unless a mistake was made by the tech making the changes.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

The possibility exists that your previous 1.5M connection was on Fastpath. When your speed was bumped up, your connection was unstable, so they set it to Interleaved in an attempt to stabilize it. Finally, when they restored your 1.5M connection, they left it on interleaved. The interleave setting can add 20ms to 40ms to your connection latency. It may be that all you need is to request a change to Fastpath.

Alas, I can't help you with that.
staind20960
Tyner, NC

staind20960

Thanks for the reply, so far I have been unable to get anyone on the phone from Centurylink who even knows what Fastpath is. Guess I will continue to fight it out with them.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

said by staind20960:

Thanks for the reply, so far I have been unable to get anyone on the phone from Centurylink who even knows what Fastpath is. Guess I will continue to fight it out with them.

They might understand, "noise profile". I think that is the common term at the technician level.
staind20960
Tyner, NC

staind20960

Might give that a shot the next time I have a minute to call them.
CenturyLink
join:2009-03-09
Boise, ID

CenturyLink to staind20960

to staind20960
Staind20960

We are happy to assist you with this issue. Please send account & contact details using the link here »t.co/lm5JYoPO or email talktous@centurylink.com please include a reference to this post.

Regards,
Patti
CenturyLink Help Team
staind20960
Tyner, NC

staind20960

Ok, I recieved an e-mail from Centurylink regarding my issue. However after almost 3 weeks the problems remain. I have sent the requested info about my connection to them twice, followed up on this issue. Now it seems I am being swept under the rug on this, as no one from Centurylink will respond when I try to see if anything is being done. Just last night my ping times were over 1000ms, and they were over 2000ms the night before. The router has been ruled out completely, the problem is with the DSL connection.

I have pretty much lost all faith in this company in regards to customer service. If this issue is not fixed within 2 weeks I will begin to seek out other providers that actually care whether I can effectively use the service I am paying for.
CenturyLink
join:2009-03-09
Boise, ID

CenturyLink

Staind20960,

I apologize for the frustration this has caused you. Our records do not indicate we received account information from you. Please send us an email with some reference to this post such as the user name so we may identify you properly.

Regards,
Patti
CenturyLink Help Team