spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Taito

join:2012-07-22

Why is there a second modem on my account?

After logging into my comcast account it shows two different modems. The bottom one is the correct SB6121 but the top one says its an Arris modem. We have never used an Arris modem before.

Could someone be spliced into my line somewhere? Whats going on? I will add a screen shot of what is shown with the MAC address hidden.

I know this should probably be posted in the comcast direct section but it has been 20 days since his last reply so I decided to try here.

hrickpa

join:2001-06-07
Reading, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL

Contact Comcast directly and ask
A friend of mine had 5 cable modems active on her account. when her cable moden that she had died comcast had a problem replacing her modem. due to the extra active cable modems these modems were actve for 3 years until she notice. this is common where I live.

rendrenner

join:2005-09-03
Grandville, MI
reply to Taito

'Your line' is not tied to your account. Could someone be spliced into your line? Highly unlikely, but even if they were, you wouldn't be able to see it on your account. You don't by chance have phone service do you? Its not that uncommon for homes to have their own modem for CHSI and Comcast modem for voice.

Comcast Direct could help, You may be able to get an answer by simply calling in.

NetFixer
Snarl For The Camera Please
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
·Comcast

said by rendrenner:

You don't by chance have phone service do you? Its not that uncommon for homes to have their own modem for CHSI and Comcast modem for voice.

Except that neither the CM820A or the SB6121 are EMTAs.
--
We can never have enough of nature.
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

Taito

reply to Taito

I was really hoping that this was just normal. Comcast's support is by far the worst support that I have ever dealt with when it comes to any company that I have ever needed to talk with. Phone or instant chat, it doesn't matter.

Ill give them a call tomorrow, it will most likely include me repeating the same answers to irrelevant questions, being put on hold for a half hour and hung up on. Just to call back and start the adventure again with a different person picking up the phone.

Thank you for clearing this up for me.

rendrenner

join:2005-09-03
Grandville, MI
reply to NetFixer

said by NetFixer:

said by rendrenner:

You don't by chance have phone service do you? Its not that uncommon for homes to have their own modem for CHSI and Comcast modem for voice.

Except that neither the CM820A or the SB6121 are EMTAs.

Of course SB modem isn't, that's why it would have been the CHSI only modem on a dual modem setup.
My error on the part of misreading the 820 as an 802

Wayne99021
Premium
join:2004-12-28
Mead, WA
kudos:1
reply to Taito

Hope you have better luck than I have had on this.
I called 3 different people plus tech support and no one could do anything about it.
The tech guy said he could see the non working modem on my account, didn't know why it was there, but couldn't remove it.
He told me I had to take the non working modem to the local office to get it removed?? That modem was sent back to Amazon 2 months ago because it crapped out after 3 days of use.
Maybe Comcast Steve can can give us some advise because this seems to be happening a lot.

NetFixer
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
·Comcast

2 recommendations

said by Wayne99021:

Hope you have better luck than I have had on this.
I called 3 different people plus tech support and no one could do anything about it.
The tech guy said he could see the non working modem on my account, didn't know why it was there, but couldn't remove it.
He told me I had to take the non working modem to the local office to get it removed?? That modem was sent back to Amazon 2 months ago because it crapped out after 3 days of use.
Maybe Comcast Steve can can give us some advise because this seems to be happening a lot.

I think that the main problem with getting a modem removed from your account (or transferred to a different account) is that Comcast by default assumes that either the modem is stolen (in the case of a transfer) or that you are up to no good and trying to screw up another customer in the case of trying to remove a modem from an account (think vindictive spouse and messy divorce).

That is likely why you were told to physically take the modem to the local office (and you would have probably had to have the original sales receipt or invoice too). Having physical possession of the modem (and having the original sales receipt/invoice) relieves them of responsibility since that is reasonable proof of ownership (although in my case when trying to transfer my own modem to new account at another address, I still had to get the local franchise authority involved before Comcast would allow me to do it).
--
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

JigglyWiggly

join:2009-07-12
Pleasanton, CA

So why would you want to get rid of them?
I mean it is a spare Internet connection...
I mean to go out of your own way to get rid of it seems a bit much.

NetFixer
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
·Comcast

1 recommendation

said by JigglyWiggly:

So why would you want to get rid of them?
I mean it is a spare Internet connection...
I mean to go out of your own way to get rid of it seems a bit much.

What in hell are you talking about? How is having a non-existent modem assigned to your Comcast HSI account equivalent to having a "spare Internet connection"?

OTOH, if Comcast decides that the non-existent modem actually belongs to them when you terminate your account, who do you think is going to pay for it when you can't return it (or prove that it is/was your property)? Comcast has a history of claiming ownership of their customer's modems; getting a modem that you no longer possess (or possibly never had) removed from your account is just common sense given Comcast's history.
--

Wayne99021
Premium
join:2004-12-28
Mead, WA
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to JigglyWiggly

You are totaly missing the point.
We do not have the modems or equipment they are only listed in our accounts. Why on earth would you think it's a spare internet connection???. It is a non working phantom modem that is just listed because some one screwed up and didn't remove it when the new modem was provisioned. Now everyone I have talked to at Comcast is playing dumb and keep passing the problem on.
They also have the mac address of that modem I sent back to Amazon listed in my account. which means it can's be used with Comcast if the modem was repaired and sent back out as refurbished by Amazon.

NetFixer
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
·Comcast

1 recommendation

said by Wayne99021:

They also have the mac address of that modem I sent back to Amazon listed in my account. which means it can's be used with Comcast if the modem was repaired and sent back out as refurbished by Amazon.

Or resold by Amazon as "new" equipment. I have on multiple occasions purchased "new" DSL routers from Amazon that still had the previous owner's PPPoE credentials in the NVRAM as well as custom firewall and port forwarding rules. Amazon's definition of "new" is not always the same as the classic dictionary definition.
--

Taito

1 recommendation

reply to Taito

Okay, I called it in and they said that a Comcast rep made a mistake and added this random modem to my account while activating my real modem. He said it was a "typo" error and that the ghost modem should be removed after the next bill comes and to call in if I get charged for it.

I still don't understand how you can "typo" a modem from a completely different manufacturer with a completely different MAC address but whatever.

Took two calls because I was hung up on the first time. I guess that's an improvement for Comcast.

ropeguru
Premium
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

WOW!! You got the Comcastic service!! Did you have to pay extra for that?

elios

join:2005-11-15
Springfield, MO
reply to Taito

my guess it they pick it off a drop down list
pretty easy to mis-click if your trying to rush

JigglyWiggly

join:2009-07-12
Pleasanton, CA
reply to NetFixer

You clearly don't know how this can be used.

But w/e lol

Ofc it's too late for him to take advantage of it.

ropeguru
Premium
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

1 recommendation

said by JigglyWiggly:

But w/e lol

Apparently we don't.

Could you enlighten us how it can be used if he does not have the physical equipment?

NetFixer
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
·Comcast

1 recommendation

said by ropeguru:

said by JigglyWiggly:

But w/e lol

Apparently we don't.

Could you enlighten us how it can be used if he does not have the physical equipment?

Enlightenment is not JigglyWiggly's M.O.
--

OSUGoose

join:2007-12-27
Columbus, OH
reply to Taito

Go to local office, have them lookup the MAC, and if its on another customer or is in their inventory, have them remove it from your account.