dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
« MehVoom channels »
This is a sub-selection from Your Bill will be going up...
jjeffeory
jjeffeory
join:2002-12-04
Bloomington, IN

1 edit

jjeffeory to Rob_

to Rob_

Re: Your Bill will be going up...

Really? So some of the most popular shows on TV: The Walking Dead, Mad Men, Hell on Wheels, and Breaking bad; many which have been up for Emmy Awards suck? All I can say is that I'm glad to have that channel. Some of the best stuff currently on TV and certainly better than the Networks overall.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

skeechan

Premium Member

I like those shows but it amounts to about 40 hours of decent original programming A YEAR (given nearly a third of a programming hour is commercials). The other gazillion hours suck wang.
jjeffeory
jjeffeory
join:2002-12-04
Bloomington, IN

2 edits

jjeffeory

I'll agree with you, however, the other networks aren't really any better. FX has American Horror Story... ABC has 1 show ( 666 Park Avenue) that I care about. NBC has Revolution and Grimm that I watch. CBS has NCIS. Fox has Bones and a couple more Fringe episodes left before that series is gone. Maybe some Sunday Shows ( American Dad, et cetera). CW has Arrow and Supernatural ( Maybe Vampire Diaries, but I don't watch that one). TNT has Falling Skies. Syfy doesn't play much sci-fi anymore, they show "wrassling". USA plays White Collar. AMC has 4 shows a year that I'm excited about; the other major networks have at most two shows that I care about watching each year. Fox comes closest to number of shows because of their Sunday night cartoons, but that's not really "quality television". So, TV just kinda sucks. AMC is doing alright if you compare them to the other networks. The big three (NBC, ABC, CBS) have been terrible for a pretty long time and these other networks are stepping up and providing interesting shows. AMC is surely one of the hotter channels these days and it is good that Dish can now offer this to their customers and be competitive ( I know some people who cancelled because of this).

While AMC no longer exclusively plays American Movie Classics, at least they haven't gone the way of MTV ( Music Television), who doesn't seem to play music or videos anymore,
I'm not sure, as that channels is out of my favorites list and doesn't show up anymore...
mogamer
join:2011-04-20
Royal Oak, MI

mogamer to skeechan

to skeechan
said by skeechan:

I like those shows but it amounts to about 40 hours of decent original programming A YEAR (given nearly a third of a programming hour is commercials). The other gazillion hours suck wang.

That's still 40 hours more "decent" original programming than networks like Spike, G4, Bravo or Tru TV combined offer. And those 40 hours are more interesting than most shows being shown on TNT or USA.

TuxRaiderPen2
Make America Great Again
join:2009-09-19

TuxRaiderPen2 to jjeffeory

to jjeffeory
said by jjeffeory:
Really? So some of the most popular shows on TV: The Walking Dead, Mad Men, Hell on Wheels, and Breaking bad; many which have been up for Emmy Awards suck? All I can say is that I'm glad to have that channel. Some of the best stuff currently on TV and certainly better than the Networks overall.
Pretty much, yes.

Mad Men, Hell on Wheels = Emmy worthy Although I think Mad Men has passed its prime..still great..

walking dead.. is crap... boroorroooooorrring...zombies what everrrrr....

breaking bad is NOT emmy worthy, its good, but not that good...

Better than the old OTA networks, well that doesn't take much. A SMPTE colobar pattern with 1Khz test tone is better!

This is NOT the BEST STUFF or even SOME OF THE BEST.. Some of the good stuff... yes.. BEST...

Best (limited to non OTA networks) is:

Homeland
Boss
Magic City

Good
Mad Men
Hell on Wheels

top of the garbage heap
walking dead
sons of anarchy

When AMC wants to:

Bring back Rubicon
dump the commercials
Restore REAL MOVIES 30-60's and drop the 70's and later crap

Then we'll talk.
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member
join:2000-01-13

BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

Listen to some of you old fogies...

I agree the commercials during movies, and the censorship is bad, however if you want to watch movies only people in retirement homes watch then watch tcm, a channel most people who are not near retirement age do not watch. I don't watch much of anything on amc anymore due to those reasons, but they allow cursing, even partial nudity in their original series even if I only watch one of those series. When it comes to the movies, somebody else already censored them more than likely so they likely don't have any control of the source, some being so repressed to even censor religious blasphemy, but you have the helicopter parents who blame them for what they show during the day instead of monitoring their own children when they can get far worse on the internet in a few clicks. The kind who can't figure out how to use a v-chip.

They have a thing called ratings, and commercials to pay for the shows they make. If you like Mad Men they you have to realize it takes a ton of money to make that show, and you also have to realize Mad Men is meant for an older audience looking to the older days, however it's just one of their shows.

Welcome to the generation gap, realize when you are no longer the target audience, and move on please. It's not like you're actually watching those shows on mtv are you? I'm not either, but another generation is.

So if they kept the commercials out of the movies, and didn't censor them while only showing commercials during their shows I would be fine with this. They are not a premium network, but I do think they are trying to make too many shows, then when the ratings are not there to support the advertising space they simply get dumped.
« MehVoom channels »
This is a sub-selection from Your Bill will be going up...