how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Shrug

@videotron.ca
reply to vue666

Re: Gasoline Prices Below 99 Cents/Litre By Christmas

Seems a batch of hybrids caught fire and exploded due to their batteries during the storm.

»updates.jalopnik.com/post/346697···fire-and

Guess homeowners should ask their insurance for car explosion protection along with flood protection.

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
Electric devices mixed with impure water will generally produce poor results. What else would you expect?

vue666
Small block Chevies rule
Premium
join:2007-12-07
Halifax, NS
kudos:1
reply to Shrug
said by Shrug :

Seems a batch of hybrids caught fire and exploded due to their batteries during the storm.

»updates.jalopnik.com/post/346697···fire-and

Guess homeowners should ask their insurance for car explosion protection along with flood protection.

Was Justin Bieber behind the wheel of any of these exploded Fisker Karmas? LOL

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
said by vue666:

Was Justin Bieber behind the wheel of any of these exploded Fisker Karmas? LOL

We can only dream, eh?

Did you hear that this turd will be "performing" during the Grey Cup halftime show?

I'm no CFL fan, but holy crap couldn't they find anyone else?
--

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
... wha?!

dirtyjeffer
Anons on ignore, but not due to fear.
Premium
join:2002-02-21
London, ON
reply to vue666
said by vue666:

For what it is worth Car & Driver magazine preferred the manual tranny over the dsg when test a VW GTI..

»www.caranddriver.com/reviews/201···e-page-2

of course...true drivers prefer a manual...but most of live in the city, and shifting the gears gets tiring fast when you spend most of your journey through rush hour stop and go traffic.
--
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

- George Orwell

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON
reply to Kardinal
said by Kardinal:

They don't like the DSG in the Focus either:

»www.caranddriver.com/comparisons···l-page-6

We were disappointed in the PowerShift dual-clutch transmission, which feels like it is programmed to mimic a conventional automatic instead of a manual with sporting intentions. Programming wasn’t the only problem we had with the transmission: At low speeds when the car was cold, we noted numerous disconcerting clunks and jolts. Additionally, we could feel the clutch chattering as we crept along in traffic, and the shifts were slow (for a dual-clutch unit) and soft. Put it in sport mode, and the shifts get faster, but they’re still nowhere near as quick and crisp as Volkswagen’s DSG, and the shift logic seems programmed only to burn more fuel by never upshifting, not to provide enthusiastic response.

yea, the one used in the focus is a hydraulic unit (unlike the electric unit in the Fiesta), but it's a first gen unit...VW has a 10 year head start here...as i said before, if Ford sticks to it, refines it and continues to invest to improve it, it will get better...it just depends on whether they will do that...i would imagine with the increasing pressure to improve fuel economy, they will.
--
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

- George Orwell

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON
reply to vue666
said by vue666:

I maybe 'Ol Skool' but I much prefer the feel of a clutch and knowledge I have control of my car and not my car has control over me...

you have control of the car with a DSG transmission...a DSG is essentially a manual transmission whose gears are actuated using hydraulic actuation rather than you using your hand on a shift linkage...as well, they have a "manual" mode (either on the shift lever or paddles) that allow you to control the shifting yourself...it gives you all the benefits of a manual and all the benefits of an automatic.
--

- George Orwell

Black Box

join:2002-12-21
reply to dirtyjeffer
Well, I drive a manual (and the model has a notoriously hard clutch) in Toronto traffic everyday. In fact, I never owned an automatic.

Once you've done it for a while you don't even think about it. Maybe you plan your speed so by the time you get too close to the car in front it moves.
--
Keep It Safe, Stupid!
Yes, I CanChat. Can You?

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON
i've had numerous manuals over the years (including several motorcycles)...it's lost its "coolness".

Mike2009

join:2009-01-13
Ottawa, ON
kudos:3
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to Black Box
said by Black Box:

Well, I drive a manual (and the model has a notoriously hard clutch) in Toronto traffic everyday. In fact, I never owned an automatic.

Once you've done it for a while you don't even think about it. Maybe you plan your speed so by the time you get too close to the car in front it moves.

I totally agree. I drive a Cooper S that has a hard clutch. I drive it in traffic daily with no issue. I think Jeffer is getting old.

vue666
Small block Chevies rule
Premium
Halifax, NS
Try driving a manual in the Halifax area of HRM. Downtown Halifax is on the side of a hill. It's like a mini San Fransisco... Pulling away on hills in bumper to bumper traffic is a skill...

The clutch on my 60 Vette is really hard. Yes there are times when I wish the tranny was an automatic like a 700R4 but I still prefer a manual. I actually know a few guys who replaced their manual trannys with TH350s, 700R4s, etc and they claim it really ruined their driving experience and enjoyment of their muscle car...

AND the maintenance to a manual tranny would not be as costly as a dsg...

When I purchased my Vette in 1983 the previous owner used the car as a drag racer...That is a legal drag race car on a 1/4 mile strip. The tranny in my Vette is a Muncie M21 and not the M22 - 'rock crusher'. It also has a scattershield and not a stock bell housing...

At the time of purchase the 2nd gear synchro needed replacing. After purchasing a replacement synchro, my kid brother & I had the tranny out of the car, replaced the tranny, clutch and pressure plate in a single afternoon. I can't imagine doing repairs of a dsg tranny in my backyard on a summer's afternoon...

vue666
Small block Chevies rule
Premium
Halifax, NS
reply to Mike2009
said by Mike2009:

said by Black Box:

I totally agree. I drive a Cooper S that has a hard clutch. I drive it in traffic daily with no issue. I think Jeffer is getting old.

Is that a classic Mini Cooper S or a newer BMW model? Either way nice car!!!!

vue666
Small block Chevies rule
Premium
Halifax, NS

1 edit
reply to dirtyjeffer
said by dirtyjeffer:

i've had numerous manuals over the years (including several motorcycles)...it's lost its "coolness".

Hoss, I wasn't aware you owned motorcycles in the past... Probably an Harley, Norton or BSA I'm betting...

peterboro
Premium
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON
reply to Mike2009
said by Mike2009:

No he just lost his "coolness" or mojo. The burbs will do that by sucking the life out of you.

vue666
Small block Chevies rule
Premium
Halifax, NS
I'm betting Hoss traded in his Harley for a moped...

peterboro
Premium
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON
I believe he had a Japanese bike of moderate CCs so a moped was not much of a step down.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
Hah!

booj

join:2011-02-07
Richmond, ON
reply to Xstar_Lumini
Looks like Hyundai will be giving me ~100$ per year in gas money for over-stating the fuel economy of their recent fleet:

»hyundaifuelconsumption.ca/faq

I could never hit the rated 4.9 L/100 km efficiency in my 2012 Accent. Low 5's is about the best I could do. Seems to add up as they claim rates were about 0.3 L/100 km off from what they should be.

This applies to Kia owners as well:

»www.cbc.ca/news/business/story/2···gas.html

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
Same with me for my Elantra. I noticed that the fuel economy wasn't anywhere as good as what they claimed from the moment I bought it.

TLS2000
Crazy Canuck
Premium
join:2004-02-24
Mississauga, ON
reply to booj
I wish I was getting your fuel economy. I'm averaging about 11 L/100km right now in my G6.

Seriously, my buddy gets better mileage in his Corvette. This 3.9L engine is a thirsty engine.
--
Tom

Last Parade

join:2002-10-07
Port Colborne, ON
said by TLS2000:

I wish I was getting your fuel economy. I'm averaging about 11 L/100km right now in my G6.

Seriously, my buddy gets better mileage in his Corvette. This 3.9L engine is a thirsty engine.

What engine maintenance have you done to your G6

vue666
Small block Chevies rule
Premium
Halifax, NS
reply to TLS2000
said by TLS2000:

Could be gearing... His Vette could be geared (tranny & differential) for highway driving...

But I do know a few guys from summer car shows who own C5 & C6 Corvettes and they get incredible gas mileage for a V8.....

TLS2000
Crazy Canuck
Premium
Mississauga, ON
reply to Last Parade
Oil, filters, tune up, coolant flush.

It's just a thirsty engine. GM's 3.9 is known as a guzzler.
--
Tom

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
That actually isn't too bad for a 3.9L 6. To call it a "guzzler" isn't really fitting.

The Corvette may also have a better tuned displacement on demand system or whatever marketing term GM is calling it now.

TLS2000
Crazy Canuck
Premium
Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed
said by Gone:

That actually isn't too bad for a 3.9L 6. To call it a "guzzler" isn't really fitting.

The Corvette may also have a better tuned displacement on demand system or whatever marketing term GM is calling it now.

When other people are managing to use half the fuel for the same distance, it seems excessive.

I vow every time I buy a car that I'm going to get something small to save money on fuel, but ultimately find that I need a mid-sized car to be comfortable. I then need a decent engine to move that car. I'm a slave to my automobile.

I told my buddy I'm going to buy a Vette just to save money. lol
--
Tom

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON
reply to peterboro
said by peterboro:

I believe he had a Japanese bike of moderate CCs so a moped was not much of a step down.

some of my bikes looked like this:

if i was going to buy a bike again, i would be very tempted by this one (Triumph Street Triple):

--

- George Orwell

mr weather
Premium
join:2002-02-27
Mississauga, ON
reply to TLS2000
said by TLS2000:

It's just a thirsty engine. GM's 3.9 is known as a guzzler.

I've heard that too. Did the G6 not come with a 3.6? My previous car (Saturn Aura) had one and it wasn't too bad. My current car (Pontiac G8) has a 3.6 but in north-south configuration not east-west. It's a bit of a pig in the city but on the highway it's decent.
--
"It's all coming down!!" - Mike Holmes

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON
reply to booj
said by booj:

Looks like Hyundai will be giving me ~100$ per year in gas money for over-stating the fuel economy of their recent fleet:

»hyundaifuelconsumption.ca/faq

I could never hit the rated 4.9 L/100 km efficiency in my 2012 Accent. Low 5's is about the best I could do. Seems to add up as they claim rates were about 0.3 L/100 km off from what they should be.

This applies to Kia owners as well:

»www.cbc.ca/news/business/story/2···gas.html

i will be getting some back as well.

not a big deal really though...i average high 6s/low 7s in my car (2012 Kia Rio5), which isn't too far off from the ratings, and i certainly don't "try" to achieve the ratings...i have set the cruise at 80km/hr on flat stretches of rural highways and seen 4.6-4.8 on the fuel economy readout...keep in mind, the testing procedures for fuel economy rates are not very indicative of how one drives...and as car engineers know this, they can engineer the car to do well on test ratings, but not that well in "real world" use...i would't say the Hyundai/Kia vehicles are that bad either...our 2011 Elantra Touring easily returns high 6s as well (it is a manual transmission, my Kia is an automatic).
--

- George Orwell

Mike2009

join:2009-01-13
Ottawa, ON
kudos:3
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to vue666
said by vue666:

said by Mike2009:

said by Black Box:

Is that a classic Mini Cooper S or a newer BMW model? Either way nice car!!!!

Thanks. It's a 2007 Cooper S. Lots of fun to drive.