Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
reply to TLS2000

Re: Gasoline Prices Below 99 Cents/Litre By Christmas

said by TLS2000:

The difference being, I'm well above minimum wage here. I'm not so sure that I would be in Fort Erie.

My wife and I are both well above minimum wage with a household income just shy of six figures. The difference, of course, is that one can buy a house here for 250K that would cost over 600 in Mississauga, which goes back to my entire point about wages meaning nothing and cost of living meaning everything.

mr weather
Premium
join:2002-02-27
Mississauga, ON
reply to Xstar_Lumini

We were in Windsor for the Easter weekend and gas was a full ten cents per litre cheaper there than here. What a scam.
--
"It's all coming down!!" - Mike Holmes

Styvas
Go Canucks Go
Premium
join:2004-09-15
Hamilton, ON
reply to Gone

I hear ya! Our rent, parking, insurance, and hydro in Oakville in a 1 bedroom apartment (no storage) was only $50 less than what we're paying in Hamilton for mortgage, property tax, gas, hydro, and insurance for a 3 bedroom, two storey house, full yard, driveway for two cars, full basement for storage. Cost of living makes an enormous difference.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON

said by Styvas:

I hear ya! Our rent, parking, insurance, and hydro in Oakville in a 1 bedroom apartment (no storage) was only $50 less than what we're paying in Hamilton for mortgage, property tax, gas, hydro, and insurance for a 3 bedroom, two storey house, full yard, driveway for two cars, full basement for storage. Cost of living makes an enormous difference.

Yup! Our mortgage, property tax, hydro, gas and water costs the same each month as many people in St. Catharines pay just to rent an apartment with no utilities, and even St. Cats is cheap compared to the GTA (I think, now, they're similar to Hamilton as far as costs go). It makes a massive difference. We're very blessed to have the income with jobs so close to home in a town with such a low cost of living. A lot of people in this town do struggle, but it's a struggle that would be infinitely harder if the cost of living wasn't as low as it is.

TLS2000
Crazy Canuck
Premium
join:2004-02-24
Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed

Other than that little bout of unemployment I'm not struggling now. I'm planning on buying a place, probably in Hamilton, next year. I see Hamilton as a compromise. It lets me get a relatively cheap place to live but I'm within commuting distance of a decent paying job.

Again, COL is important, but so is income.
--
Tom

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON

Fair enough, but all I'm going to say is that if you worked for the CBSA down here in Fort Erie, you'd be making more money while also paying a lot less to live within walking distance of work, too.

TLS2000
Crazy Canuck
Premium
join:2004-02-24
Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed

I'm going to say that I may have a plan exactly like that in the works.

edit: That said, it may take a few years as rumour has it that CBSA is going to be going through cuts. Take that with the 2 year long hiring process..

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON

The only people who've gotten job modification letters in Niagara are the Commercial CRs. Traffic CR, all AS and all FB so far are safe.

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to Gone

said by Gone:

Not really. If you're making minimum wage in Mississauga you're going to hurt a whole hell of a lot more than you would making minimum wage here. While you may feel like you're going to starve on minimum wage in Fort Erie, you actually would be starving, and living in a box, in Mississauga.

He'd be panhandling on the weekends if he lived in Toronto....
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

dirtyjeffer
Anons on ignore, but not due to fear.
Premium
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

said by J E F F:

many panhandlers make more money than most of us.

loosedobbs

join:2006-06-13
Toronto

said by dirtyjeffer:

said by J E F F:

many panhandlers make more money than most of us.

High income earner declined to participate in survey.
I think its the same John Stackhouse Editor G&M.

"These findings differ significantly from those of John Stackhouse, a journalist who briefly lived on the street in Toronto working as a panhandler and who reported that panhandlers can earn more than $200 per day and typically spend “almost all their begging money on their addictions” and very little on food. "

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON

said by loosedobbs:

"These findings differ significantly from those of John Stackhouse, a journalist who briefly lived on the street in Toronto working as a panhandler and who reported that panhandlers can earn more than $200 per day and typically spend “almost all their begging money on their addictions” and very little on food. "

there was a story about this recently here too...they work 1-2 hours during morning rush hour, and the same during the 4-6pm window as well...making about $200 for 3-4 hours work a day, tax free and cash...of course, almost all of them are also on social assistance (of some sort) and many will have plenty of benefits provided that most of us don't have or have to pay for...while panhandling on the islands of busy intersections is illegal here, it still happens and they simply take off when they see a cop, only to return a few minutes later...the same people can be seen at the same times on pretty much every day.
--
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

- George Orwell

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC
kudos:2
reply to Gone

Gas is sitting at $1.42 as of yesterday. The long-weekend screw over.

Of course, the last jump a week and a half ago from $1.26 to $1.34 just pisses me off more. The greedy bastards!
--
"I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots." ~ Albert Einstein

ekster
Hi there
Premium
join:2010-07-16
Lachine, QC
kudos:3
reply to Xstar_Lumini

Surprisingly, gas went way down the last few days.
Jumped from 1.37 to 1.27 yesterday, and is at 1.25 today.

Mike2009

join:2009-01-13
Ottawa, ON

$1.25 in Ottawa today.

ekster
Hi there
Premium
Lachine, QC

Okay, this is really weird... now that the long weekend has started, prices dropped even further.

1.19 in Montreal now... and we're supposed to have some of the worst prices usually.

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada

I grabbed 1.12 at one location here in Niagara.

Mike2009

Ottawa, ON

Why are gas prices the same in Montreal as Ottawa? I have never seen that before. Usually the gap is at least 10 cents cheaper in Ottawa.

Bender2000
Bite My Shiny Metal Ass
Premium
join:2002-05-06
Dollard-Des-Ormeaux, QC
reply to ekster

I managed to fill up at 1.19, but funny thing, gas station across the street at the time was 1.23, and then as of the next morning, they all sky rocketed to 1.35! a 16 cent/L hike in less than 24 hours is rather astounding.

ekster
Hi there
Premium
Lachine, QC

Yeah, Montreal got back to normal to a nice 1.35 over the weekend... it was fun while it lasted.

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC
kudos:2

Still at $1.42 here.

peterboro
Premium
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON
reply to Xstar_Lumini

$1.23 or one side of of our huge metropolis and $1.15 on the other.

Bender2000
Bite My Shiny Metal Ass
Premium
join:2002-05-06
Dollard-Des-Ormeaux, QC
reply to ekster

and now for the last 24 hours at least, Montreal has been enjoying a 1.44/L price. Too bad I've got a 1/4 tank left from when I filled up at 1.19. That's an insane difference over the course of a week and a bit.

ekster
Hi there
Premium
Lachine, QC
Reviews:
·FreePhoneLine

Yeah, we were hovering at 1.40+, then suddenly go way down to 1.19 and now we're back to 1.44... sounds like someone made a mistake somewhere while colluding for the island of Montreal and everyone price-matched the mistake.. Also a quarter of the tank left for me... Hopefully it'll go down a bit before the weekend.

capdjq
Premium
join:2000-11-01
Vancouver

It cost me $1.69/litre in Vancouver yesterday. I'm referring to 91 grade premium. Plus I drive a BMW 850i. The damn car gets only 6mpg in the city.
--
Politics: “Poli” a Latin word meaning “many”; and "tics" meaning “bloodsucking creatures."

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

said by capdjq:

It cost me $1.69/litre in Vancouver yesterday. I'm referring to 91 grade premium. Plus I drive a BMW 850i. The damn car gets only 6mpg in the city.

The V12 one? ouch
--

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON

a somewhat rare car too...i always liked that model...despite it being about 20 years old, it still looks good (not sure of the year capdjq's model is, but most are early to mid 90s models).

ZZZZZZZ
Premium
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE
kudos:1

1 edit
reply to Xstar_Lumini

Gas just went to $1.47 here in Kelowna............up from another bump to $1.41 a week ago.

What a crock.
--
Sarcasm is the body’s natural defense against stupidity.

Mike2009

Ottawa, ON

$1.25 in Ottawa. I paid $1.41 yesterday for premium.

peterboro
Premium
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON
reply to capdjq

said by capdjq:

The damn car gets only 6mpg in the city.

Looks like I've got competition for largest carbon footprint from propulsion from a car by DSLR posters.