Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed
This is a sub-selection from Random...

NiteSn0w

join:2010-12-24
reply to BiggA

Re: Random...

Um... Sprint doesn't launch cities as markets. Sprint has 97 markets IIRC and they're deploying coverage over about 40-65% of the market before they consider it launched. Sprints markets are pretty big too. Each market can contain hundreds of cities. Verizon and AT&T may be launching tons of "markets" but these markets are actually cities not full fledged regions.

Market map

Big Dawg 23

join:2002-03-27
Northfield, MN
What color is the sky in your world? AT&T classifies it as a Market for one and not cities like Sprint and some situations Verizon. As an example look at Chicago. AT&T classifies all of Chicago and its area one Market. While Sprint lists the cities. Sprint lists suburbs of Naperville and Downer Groves to name two. Under AT&T VZW its one Chicago.

Last week I was in St. Louis and stunned how far out my LTE coverage extended into eastern Illinois. My GNote did great while my VZW Jet Pack was SLOW.

Sprint is popping up cities to make it look good. I have friends with SGS3 in KC with joke for coverage and service.

BiggA

join:2005-11-23
EARTH
reply to NiteSn0w
They are NOT doing 40% of those massive markets. In fact, Sprint LTE is spotty in the cities it is launched in. You can go from one block to the next and pick up and lose the LTE. People are having a hard time finding it in some markets, as they have only launched in some parts of the cities, even the cities proper.

They are pumping the numbers. If they did the same number of sites in bigger cities, they'd have far fewer "markets" done. They wanted to get into Mass, so they did some small cities, and didn't do Boston.

AT&T cheesed out a little by blanketing Manhattan and calling it "NYC", but they have been getting pretty agressive, and when they did Manhattan, it covered Manhattan, not a few blocks here and there like Sprint. Verizon is the most legit, "NYC" for them included north Jersey, parts of LI, CT, etc, which is a more correct definition of a market.

NiteSn0w

reply to Big Dawg 23
If you look at the map I linked to above( let me link it below again) you would see what Sprint means by Chicago. By Chicago they mean Chicago land. They're listing specific cities in press releases to show that they're making progress throughout the market. I think when people living around the city of Chicago hear that Chicago is getting LTE they expect it to include Chicago land.

Here's Sprint's LTE coverage and AT&T's LTE coverage Sprint covers just as much or more of Chicagoland than Sprint and in every market they're deploying in their LTE coverage goes further out of the city's boarders.

NiteSn0w

reply to BiggA
Sprint is using PCS 1900 MHz to deploy LTE, it's not going to take one tower to cover 10-30 miles in places like NYC, and NYC metro or even Chicago Proper, and Chicagoland. PCS 1900 MHz doesn't go as far as 700 MHz (used by AT&T and Verizon) and Sprint's cell density is meant for capacity so one cell site may only cover a few hundred feet. This is why you will see coverage drop off if you go from one block to another right now. And if 40% of all cell sites that Sprint owns are completed in a market and most of those sites are in high traffic areas where capacity is their goal then coverage will be spotty until they complete the rest of the network.

Here's Sprint's LTE coverage and AT&T's LTE coverage compare them.

BiggA

EARTH
AT&T and Verizon are dense in the cities too. And they are doing a better job rolling out.

NiteSn0w

AT&T and Verizon DO NOT put LTE on every tower. Sprint puts LTE on every single tower in a market. AT&T and Verizon use 700 MHz which travels much farther than Sprint's PCS 1900 MHz so if Sprint where to deploy LTE like AT&T and Verizon are you would only have little islands of LTE coverage that probably only cover 1-2 miles each. You can put 700 MHz LTE on one tower and have it cover 10-15 miles in every direction with little to no dead spots.

9 cell towers can likely cover the entire city of Cleveland, Ohio using 700 MHz, but that doesn't mean it's going to be fast because they will have 200-350+ devices connected to each sector in the cell instead of 50-100 like Sprint will with the way they're deploying LTE.

As far as I know deploying 700 MHz LTE on every cell tower will cause interference and service degradation with LTE because it only performs to spec in very low noise environments.

AT&T's LTE coverage doesn't really extend past where Sprint's does even in areas where Sprint hasn't completed a market and AT&T has.

Here look at a comparison between AT&T and Sprint in Chicago »imgur.com/a/dDvTM

BiggA

EARTH
Except that AT&T and Verizon are deploying 700 over 850, Sprint is doing 1900 over 1900, so it's about the same relatively speaking.

Except AT&T actually has LTE coverage in major cities like NYC and Boston, and a nice fallback to HSPA+ where Sprint falls back to 200kbps of EVDO.